R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #1171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The motonica cars are designed to take any .21 engine. Yes I use the 3 port motor. If I put the same motor in my P8C as I do in my RS, I would probably be even slower. If I put the 3 port in my on RS, it would still be faster than my P8C.
I think too much is being read into this. These are fun and cheap to operate cars. They are limited by their design but that doesn't mean they are difficult to drive or should be a predetermined amount slower.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1172
Tech Master

[QUOTE=garen If I put the 3 port in my on RS, it would still be faster than my P8C. [/QUOTE].............But I suspect not by very much especially if you are running on a smooth enclosed track surface.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #1173
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Joe, looking forward to getting those parts, I'll get Rene Youngs to her right away. Thanks again!
Rene is our direct line to the MWS, She's going to get a MWS facebook page going, I can hardly wait. She was to mention the Delta bodies to her husband, he has had his hands full lately.
they told me you should receive on monday. enjoy the bubble wrap great too see all the discussion on the site i plan on running my p8c and experimenting with other designs on the side. in my opinion the factory cars is what will attract new racers
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #1174
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
.............But I suspect not by very much especially if you are running on a smooth enclosed track surface.
At my club, due to noise restrictions the 1/8 4wd class have to run the N21-3t basic motor this year. (with a specific pipe that doesn't make too much noise)

What i have read is that first tests were roughly 1.5 seconds slower laptimes. With the basic N21-3t speed was 90km/h. They went 115+km/h with the turbo motors.

Mind you this is testing and i don't know if they changed gearing to compensate a little for the slower motor.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 01-18-2012 at 05:22 AM.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #1175
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Vintage Prices continue to amaze

I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to find a MRP Pro 180!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-MRP-PRO-...item27bdbaa759

I can't afford one if the axle is $149!!!!!!!!!!!!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #1176
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to find a MRP Pro 180!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-MRP-PRO-...item27bdbaa759

I can't afford one if the axle is $149!!!!!!!!!!!!
.....what a dreamer.........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1177
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.....what a dreamer.........
Just to mess around, I offered him $10, he came back and said I could have it for only $100 lol.

Hey, thanks for the link to the old car stuff, really neat.

I received my DXF Vortex pan car today and it is really cool! Seems to be very sturdy and should hold up well. To bad it's sooo obsolete ;-( I like the fact that it has a fiberglass chassis and no "cheater" flex plate! a true pan car!!!!

Going to Atl to race F1 and VTA on carpet this weekend, I even have one almost Toledo Legal car! lol

Hope you get to run your F1 Sunday. Good luck and have fun.

Ned
Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #1178
Tech Master

Quote:
Just to mess around, I offered him $10, he came back and said I could have it for only $100 lol.

Hey, thanks for the link to the old car stuff, really neat.

I received my DXF Vortex pan car today and it is really cool! Seems to be very sturdy and should hold up well. To bad it's sooo obsolete ;-( I like the fact that it has a fiberglass chassis and no "cheater" flex plate! a true pan car!!!!

Going to Atl to race F1 and VTA on carpet this weekend, I even have one almost Toledo Legal car! lol

Hope you get to run your F1 Sunday. Good luck and have fun.

Ned
..NED.link some pics of the DXF......
Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #1179
Tech Regular

Default level feild

In order to control flex: Any fiberglass chassis pan car shell have a min. thickness of 6.36 mm, or run a metal flex plate. The early pan cars had metal chassis, then came the fiberglass chassis, followed closely by shocks and springs. We know where that lead us.
I can't wait to see Ned's new car, hope it works better on this side of the ocean. OK! I had my fun. This whole reply is a big LOL! Really am looking forward to another brand of car in the race.
LET'S RACE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #1180
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/4 inch??

Quote:
In order to control flex: Any fiberglass chassis pan car shell have a min. thickness of 6.36 mm, or run a metal flex plate. The early pan cars had metal chassis, then came the fiberglass chassis, followed closely by shocks and springs. We know where that lead us.
I can't wait to see Ned's new car, hope it works better on this side of the ocean. OK! I had my fun. This whole reply is a big LOL! Really am looking forward to another brand of car in the race.
LET'S RACE!!
that seems a bit thick , i think the rc300 is 1/8th or 3mm. yes it will be nice too have another brand. too bad that great car matt found (the Lf brain) is so expensive
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #1181
Tech Master

Quote:
LET'S RACE!!
My metal flex plate will be wound in the shape of a helix and kinda fit around some tubes with oil in them and ... lol

Lon go back and re-read some of your earlier post on here, you were much more in favor of old style pan cars than the modern versions, what caused you to change your mind????

"Good luck with the GT cars as they become rather costly too. I have 3 P8Cs and think they're neat, but cost to much. Some one needs to bring back a real pan car like the MRP Pro 180. Cheap to get, simply to work on, and Goes like Hell! A family could go racing without breaking the bank!" DasMoPar!!!!

Last edited by aarcobra; 01-21-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Add quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #1182
Tech Master

Default More Wisdom from Das1/8Mopar (I'm NOT KIDDING!)

"What ROAR should do is run 2wd for the Masters class! GTs at that. I really don't understand how at ROAR events, an older racer can run the same car in Open and Masters, while the younger racer can only run in Open, just seems crazy to me."

The club and MWS could start this!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #1183
Tech Master

Quote:
"What ROAR should do is run 2wd for the Masters class! GTs at that. I really don't understand how at ROAR events, an older racer can run the same car in Open and Masters, while the younger racer can only run in Open, just seems crazy to me."

The club and MWS could start this!!!!
......i say do away with the masters class..............and its ridiculous age barrier.......lets have open 1/8 and a 3 port non turbo 1/8 class.............
Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #1184
Tech Regular

Default Looking more closely then before!

While it might appear that I switched sides, I don't believe that to be the case. When I had made those statements, I had only less then great results with the P8C. Then you (Ned) came along and beefed up the front end, we put a stronger front body mount on and we were off to the races. With a lot more run time, the P8C has proven itself to me. It's the real thing and you can buy it now and get parts for it too. If you're racing, that's important!!
I would love to have my old Rick Davis RC 300 or a MRP Pro 180, but not for race day. I remember T-bone winning the Club championship with an out of production MRP pan car. He took the diff apart after every run cause he had to make his last 2 spur gears last to the end of the season(which he did). That was in the early 80s and I'll bet there haven't been any gears made since. At this time, a runnable old pan car is better suited for show, not racing!
Is a 2012 Ford Mustang a better car then a 1965 Mustang? You bet it is. Does the 2012 Mustang cost more then the 1965 Mustang? You bet it does. Is a modern pan car better then a 1970s pan car? On race day, yes! Does it cost more? You bet! But how much did you earn back then compared with today?
LET'S RACE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #1185
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
While it might appear that I switched sides, I don't believe that to be the case. When I had made those statements, I had only less then great results with the P8C. Then you (Ned) came along and beefed up the front end, we put a stronger front body mount on and we were off to the races. With a lot more run time, the P8C has proven itself to me. It's the real thing and you can buy it now and get parts for it too. If you're racing, that's important!!
I would love to have my old Rick Davis RC 300 or a MRP Pro 180, but not for race day. I remember T-bone winning the Club championship with an out of production MRP pan car. He took the diff apart after every run cause he had to make his last 2 spur gears last to the end of the season(which he did). That was in the early 80s and I'll bet there haven't been any gears made since. At this time, a runnable old pan car is better suited for show, not racing!
Is a 2012 Ford Mustang a better car then a 1965 Mustang? You bet it is. Does the 2012 Mustang cost more then the 1965 Mustang? You bet it does. Is a modern pan car better then a 1970s pan car? On race day, yes! Does it cost more? You bet! But how much did you earn back then compared with today?
LET'S RACE!!
Agree'd
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote