R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #1156
Tech Regular

Default The Same!

While we set over here talking about the pan cars, the Europeans are working with in their rules to improve their cars, that's a good thing. They're racing hard with theirs, we need to do the same. I look at that new front end and think it is not as simple as the MRP tweak plate, looks like it should work as good? However, I see no reason to get one.
Garen, You getting out of the Pan car?
LET'S RACE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #1157
Tech Regular

Default Stuff

Joe, looking forward to getting those parts, I'll get Rene Youngs to her right away. Thanks again!
Rene is our direct line to the MWS, She's going to get a MWS facebook page going, I can hardly wait. She was to mention the Delta bodies to her husband, he has had his hands full lately.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #1158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
While we set over here talking about the pan cars, the Europeans are working with in their rules to improve their cars, that's a good thing. They're racing hard with theirs, we need to do the same. I look at that new front end and think it is not as simple as the MRP tweak plate, looks like it should work as good? However, I see no reason to get one.
Garen, You getting out of the Pan car?
LET'S RACE!!
How detailed are "their rules"? Do the rules specify how much movement the "mounting plates" can have relative to the main pan? Like the 1:1 cars have rules that some part can't move more than X amount with Y load applied. Even the old pans tried to get flex to the front like the Delta "double pan, and then the fiberglass pans to flex bout not break or take a set. Of course I'm still confused by why you want front flex when you generally want more rear traction????

My comments are based on my opinion that simpler (cheaper) cars would be just as much fun as the over-priced Classic cars. I know times have changed but I believe the complexity and therefore cost is higher than necessary because the cars are based on 4WD parts (especially the rear end) and are generally more complex than needed.

I think specifing a straight rear axle and a solidly mounted front axle and 3port .12 engines would be an interesting place to start.....

The car already had a tweek plate. Why did they change it......propably to make it better would be my guess.
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #1159
Tech Master

Lets not go caveman with the design of the pan cars and I believe the motor of choice should be a 18-21 not a 12.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #1160
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotCanada View Post
......Maybe the French are trying to start a revolution?? Creating a flex car that can compete handling wise and speed wise with a suspension car??
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #1161
Tech Regular

Default The race has already started!

Most of us are dependent on a company to make us our cars. They are in place and making a product that needs to be up dated from time to time for that fresh selling point, nothing new here. I understand what you guys are saying and agree that would be fun, however no one makes and markets a car like that. So I'm using what's available now. When your car is available in large enough numbers, I'll be there too! This race is already under way!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #1162
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I think specifing a straight rear axle and a solidly mounted front axle and 3port .12 engines would be an interesting place to start.....

The car already had a tweek plate. Why did they change it......propably to make it better would be my guess.
...........not liking the .12 engine idea............the smaller the dispalcement the more PITA..........weren't the euro gys talking about changing the 1/8 cars to less cubes also?...........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #1163
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Price on the new P8C Ext 2- I'll PM you the price later, need to get on that...

I think it would be great if someone had a homemade car, the more the merrier. For now, there are a few companies, Motonica being one of them, that is making a 'pan' or 'classic' car that is easy to build, fun and easy to drive, and has a very low long term operating cost.

I wasn't around in the old days of pan cars, so my view on this is probably different than many others on and off this thread. To me, the P8C platform (old and new) is a low maintenance, low cost alternative to the full suspension 1/8th cars. Whether or not it meets the original pan car rules, I don't know, but the car (P8C Extreme 2) is definitely not a suspension car. Even on the P8C you had the option of running a softer or harder foam disc set in the front and you could tighten or loosen the adjusting nuts to increase or decrease flex or movement, and the chassis itself had and still has 2 longitudinal braces that are used to increase to decrease chassis flex.

The car can and will 'hop' in the corners, but if you don't hammer the throttle, don't run too much rear camber, it's not that bad. In a straight line, the car is just fine as the chassis itself is thin and flexes to absorb the bumps.

No I am not getting out of pan cars. I know a few guys on this thread want to pick something up for cheap to play with, and I wouldn't mind building a new car, so it might be a win/win. 'Let's race' is correct! Discussion is great, but racing is even better..and more fun.

Motonica is an Italian company (not French)... All jokes aside, these cars can not compete handling and speed wise with the suspension cars. At best I am about 3 seconds a lap slower at out local track but I have just as much fun driving.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #1164
Tech Master

Default Just Thinkin" ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
Lets not go caveman with the design of the pan cars and I believe the motor of choice should be a 18-21 not a 12.

Hey, watch the "caveman" stuff! I may resemble that remark!

I'm just brainstorming that less power might not be a bad idea. Personally, one of my vintage pan cars (RC300BD) has a Losi .20 small block in it. Seemed to run ok in very short test run last summer.

On the .12 idea, I just know that many guys don't like a "spec" engine that only one is allowed and wonder what a modern .12 would do in a light, simple pan car........
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #1165
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Most of us are dependent on a company to make us our cars. They are in place and making a product that needs to be up dated from time to time for that fresh selling point, nothing new here. I understand what you guys are saying and agree that would be fun, however no one makes and markets a car like that. So I'm using what's available now. When your car is available in large enough numbers, I'll be there too! This race is already under way!
Lon, I agree that the car has to be available. I can't build and help guys build cars like I did back in the day . Also I know the manufacturers need to update and change stuff, but in many ways that is the problem, is it not? They have built such fast and expensive cars that we are looking for alternatives.
I'm only wondering what the availability of a slower, simpler, car at a much cheaper price would be look like.
I am using what's available now and having fun with that too! Don't hold your breath on any other cars being available in ANY numbers...
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #1166
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
...........not liking the .12 engine idea............the smaller the dispalcement the more PITA..........weren't the euro gys talking about changing the 1/8 cars to less cubes also?...........
Matt,
I'm just thinking that if I could, I would like to try to use a .12 just to see how it would perform. It's just my opinion that the reason for the development of more "suspension-like" parts on pan cars is that there is still too much speed 'cause there is too much power. What would happen if instead of using a restrictor to limit power, you ran a specific muffler or pipe? I wanna try a .12 or .15 el cheapo pipe and an old school can type muffler!

JUST FOR GRINS.

(I won't be making the trip up this weekend Something has come up I have to do Friday. I'm now shooting for Feb. Hope the weather stays mostly decent.)
Old 01-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1167
Tech Master

[ /QUOTE ] Motonica is an Italian company (not French)... All jokes aside, these cars can not compete handling and speed wise with the suspension cars. At best I am about 3 seconds a lap slower at out local track but I have just as much fun driving.[/QUOTE]..............OOPPS! Sorry about my mistake of calling Motonica a French company!! But to me only being 3 seconds slower than the suspension cars is really impressive!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #1168
Tech Master

I wasn't around in the old days of pan cars, so my view on this is probably different than many others on and off this set in the front and you could tighten or loosen the adjusting nuts to increase or decrease flex or movement, and the chassis itself had and still has 2 longitudinal braces that are used to increase to decrease chassis flex.

The only rules had to do with dimensions and weight, more on safety than chassis!

At best I am about 3 seconds a lap slower at out local track but I have just as much fun driving.[/QUOTE]

3 seconds slower! Shoot, I'm 5 seconds slower with my 4WD than other 4WD's!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #1169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

At our track, 3 seconds a lap translates to about 3 laps in a 5 minute qualifier, so while I might do 20 laps in 5 minutes, XX seconds with my RS, I can do about 17 laps with my P8C.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #1170
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
At our track, 3 seconds a lap translates to about 3 laps in a 5 minute qualifier, so while I might do 20 laps in 5 minutes, XX seconds with my RS, I can do about 17 laps with my P8C.
..........But the Motonica flex cars are designed to be ran with a 3 port .21 engine right?? Is that what you have in your Motonica because if it is and those suspension cars you are runnning against with those 8 port engines have a power advantage over you and should be faster. The only way to see if the flex chassis is compeitive against the suspension chassis would be to put a 3 port .21 engine in the car with a suspension too.