Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
will try too run my car with the gt guys like they did last time. will try and send some preview pics. how do you add pics on these messages?
link to photobucket......easy
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
I have spent enough time trying to explain my thoughts on this subject! When in Rome, do as the Romans. If the GT guys are sharing their track time with us for now, shouldn't we play along?
COST!! We didn't get into this hobby to save money! Most people are ready to lay out some cash to get into anything, even RC cars. Is it a good idea to tell the could be RC racer to look on E-bay? Finding these new cars isn't easy be cause there is no market for them right now, so we might have to help to create that market! It might take some time.
Any 2wd pan car offers a cheaper and easier racing program then a 4wd car (no matter the price). It could be a good first step into our hobby for the new guy, is enough fun that anyone should be able to play. Low tech enough that if you choose to run something less then top notch, you'll be in the hunt just the same.
So I have nothing more to add, talk is cheap! Let's RACE!!
i agree with you, in the end this has too be fun, in my case i love participating but the up keep and cost is a drag. keep thinking i want too race hard but so afraid of breaking the car. so i will go the pan route . if i have too run with the regular 1/8th oh well 7th place is the same if you spend 700or 300$. and yes ebay is not a hobby shop we need too support these people when we can. small places like rick used too have are great i could spend 50$ and get 200$ worth of advice. ( he'll prob. give me an invoice). so no more debate do whats right for your situation and lets keep our club alive and kicking.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb Right ON!

I would agree 100% with you Rick, but I don't know of any where you can get 2wd suspension car these days. There are 6 or so companies in Europe making pan cars as they're running strong over there. If we just wait long enough, maybe they'll build us some suspension cars too.
We racers have a bad habit of messing with a good thing, always moving forward( I thought the 1/10th 235 cars were neat, then the rules kept changing till it to was a full blown 4wd car, then it was gone)
My guess is that in Europe, it was the same. However some of them figured out how to get back to a more laid back (nothings more laid back then a pan car)program going and that's not bad. The tools they used are out there, getting our hands on them isn't out of the question. I do not intend to push for a ROAR class, but I know if we had a hand full of pan cars (new, old, or scratch built), we could have some fun here in Toledo! When was the last time you saw a scratch car race? Just the idea is fun!
You're also right, over time it will start changing till it too goes away! For now let's play!
For the record, I also agree, with a heat of pans cars racing each other, the CanAm body is the way to go.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

I would agree 100% with you Rick, but I don't know of any where you can get 2wd suspension car these days. There are 6 or so companies in Europe making pan cars as they're running strong over there. If we just wait long enough, maybe they'll build us some suspension cars too.
We racers have a bad habit of messing with a good thing, always moving forward( I thought the 1/10th 235 cars were neat, then the rules kept changing till it to was a full blown 4wd car, then it was gone)
My guess is that in Europe, it was the same. However some of them figured out how to get back to a more laid back (nothings more laid back then a pan car)program going and that's not bad. The tools they used are out there, getting our hands on them isn't out of the question. I do not intend to push for a ROAR class, but I know if we had a hand full of pan cars (new, old, or scratch built), we could have some fun here in Toledo! When was the last time you saw a scratch car race? Just the idea is fun!
You're also right, over time it will start changing till it too goes away! For now let's play!
For the record, I also agree, with a heat of pans cars racing each other, the CanAm body is the way to go.
The last scratchbuilt car I raced was at the 77 worlds (and I've still got most of it)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
The last scratchbuilt car I raced was at the 77 worlds (and I've still got most of it)
please post a pic we gotta see that!!! joe
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

....isnt the same thing going on with nitro touring cars?......didn't the motors go from 3 port to then whatever?.......the price of touring engines now rivals that of a decent ...21???......would love to be able tell a potential spectator at the track that they could be out there racing for under 5 bills.............may or may not be a posssibility with a pan chassis..who knows.........
http://www.murnanmodified.com/produc...roducts_id=687 really?......430 bones for .12..........outta control

Last edited by Taylorm; 07-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Geine's out of the bottle!

Originally Posted by Taylorm
....isnt the same thing going on with nitro touring cars?......didn't the motors go from 3 port to then whatever?.......the price of touring engines now rivals that of a decent ...21???......would love to be able to a potential spectator at the track that they could be out there racing for under 5 bills.............may or may not be a posssibility with a pan chassis..who knows.........
http://www.murnanmodified.com/produc...roducts_id=687 really?......430 bones for .12..........outta control
I think what this last line of conversation points out is that in, RC Car Racing, like so many other areas in life, once the Genie is out of the bottle, you can't get him back in!
Those of you who knew Les Haddad might get a kick out of this:

The only motor that was really usable in cars was the Veco .19, mostly because of the dual ball bearing construction while most of the other engines just had bushings. The west coast boys were putting McCoy .19 liners, pistons, and rings (!) in the Veco case (Veco-McCoy!) I couldn't understand it at the time but Les absolutely would not get any conversion kits in the shop!

I ended up getting the parts from him for the stock McCoy and machining them myself to make the conversion. What I had done was introduced the hotter motor into Toledo, we started going to Parma and getting the kits and other hop-ups from Kenny McDowell, Klunk and I later begged two K&B .21's from K&B at the Toledo show and so it went. It surely had would have happened sooner or later, but Les could see the end result....
Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 2wd Suspension Cars

Just buy a 4wd car, take off the un-needed parts, sell them to the 4wd guys, and you have your 2wd suspension car. With a little luck you may come out cheaper than buying a 2wd pan car. lol
Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Play time is over!!!

The Ned car is ready to go mostly....

Sorry for the worst possiable photo. Something is wrong with my camera/phone.

The plan is to TQ the GT class and thus get the pan cars kicked out of the GT class forever.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here is a different picture. Not sure if it is any better but it is different.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ned do you have a GT body for your P8C?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Ned do you have a GT body for your P8C?
will lon sr. be running his montonica at every race? gettin ready too order one but they also have a sweet 4wd version. joe
Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Just buy a 4wd car, take off the un-needed parts, sell them to the 4wd guys, and you have your 2wd suspension car. With a little luck you may come out cheaper than buying a 2wd pan car. lol
Ned - think you'd be screwed without a differential
Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Ned - think you'd be screwed without a differential
i agree that is me and matts sticking point. seems easier just too buy a car.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lon, try those front tires I sent you, especially with the GT body. Give them a lap or two to warm up, and they should be good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.