R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #451
Tech Regular

Cool GTs all

By the way, many people came up to me and said how much they liked the GT body. Most thought the smaller GT pan car running with the larger GT cars compared with real two class racing. Early Trans Am with 2.5 liter cars running with the 5 liter cars. For that reason alone, I'll run GT when running the larger GTs.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #452
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Scott and Marks GT cars had the edge this time, but they were in striking distance, they were fun to run with. Ricks RC 300 was so very neat (best looking car at the track)(FLASH BACK 20 years). By the way, Matt was all smiles at the wheel.
I'm looking forward to the next clash of pans. A sportscar body and more motor might be needed to run down Ricks car as even a 20 year old OPS is one fine motor still. Yet my boy TQed for the pan cars with the GT body and 3 port motor. Folks, the chase is on!!
There could be 6 pans on 31st!
working every night on my 300 even skipping the gym ( rare for me) not much ground clearance though
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #453
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
working every night on my 300 even skipping the gym ( rare for me) not much ground clearance though
..you work out at the gym???whoodathunkit?...........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #454
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Way to go Matt! Sounds like you guys had a good time with the pan cars on the track. What were your impressions of your Associated car compared to your 4wd car? Were your tires suitable (close) or way off what you want? What clutch and gear ratio did you end up using? I think you had a buggy clutch in it didn't you?

Did you get a chance to drive Lon's P8C? What were your impressions comparing it and yours?

See you soon, Hope we can race 'em when I get there!!

Ned
Ned.............I ran Ricks old car with his 20 year old OPS.........the car was an absolute ball and was darn near evenly matched with Scott Mcnish's GT car........Ricks car has a ball diff and seemed to help a bunch in the corners (into and out of)....the motor would clean out good down the back straight and had great acceleration after the long straight...i had the lead for a little but Scott got back by me.........need to fix the driver next time..LOL......MATT
Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #455
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
Ned.............I ran Ricks old car with his 20 year old OPS.........the car was an absolute ball and was darn near evenly matched with Scott Mcnish's GT car........Ricks car has a ball diff and seemed to help a bunch in the corners (into and out of)....the motor would clean out good down the back straight and had great acceleration after the long straight...i had the lead for a little but Scott got back by me.........need to fix the driver next time..LOL......MATT
Great to hear how well the old ones still run! IF we could get someone to build a modern version with CNC etc. for $150 to $200 with that type of performance, we'd really start a revolution in on-road!!!!! I'm looking forward to gettin up there for the 31st and 7th races!

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #456
Tech Master

Quote:
Great to hear how well the old ones still run! IF we could get someone to build a modern version with CNC etc. for $150 to $200 with that type of performance, we'd really start a revolution in on-road!!!!! I'm looking forward to gettin up there for the 31st and 7th races!

Ned
im hoping to buy a mill and lathe this coming winter and have my own pan car next spring..................cya at the next club race...MATT
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #457
Tech Addict

Quote:
..you work out at the gym???whoodathunkit?...........
family history of back problems. i fixed mine with the gym others used booze.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #458
Tech Master

Ned, heres a great site with tons of pictures of 2wd pans for ideas...
http://www.rcbazar.net/modules.php?n...s&new_topic=16
scroll to the bottom of each article and click on Leggi Tutto to get to all of the pics.....some very neat cars.....we need to find a way to get some of these to the states.............
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #459
Tech Master

Default Awesome Pancars!!

Quote:
Ned, heres a great site with tons of pictures of 2wd pans for ideas...
http://www.rcbazar.net/modules.php?n...s&new_topic=16
scroll to the bottom of each article and click on Leggi Tutto to get to all of the pics.....some very neat cars.....we need to find a way to get some of these to the states.............
Thanks Matt! Those are some great cars! I had no idea it was that big in the rest of the world. Looks like a bunch of modified 4wd cars and some "home-made" designs and adaptations along with some "factory" built stuff. Neat!

I ran my P8C today at our 10th TC Track and on our oval-it was a blast on the oval!! fast and handled very well. Just too big for the road course tho! I'll have to get over to Atlanta, there's still one 1/8th scale on-road track left, but no real consistant racing.

Also been collecting some Associated Pan stuff on eBay, probably paid too much but if it keeps going up, I might be able to re-sell it in the future. Kinda want to build up one as a baseling to compare stuff too. Although I think the "new" pan cars are neat, I really would like to see a modernized, direct drive chassis with a "currently" available clutch, and able to use 4wd wheels and tires. I think that's what you and Joe are shooting for also, is it not??? Lon seems pretty set on the "modern" version but I have always enjoyed modifying/building my own stuff and that has pretty much gone away with the suspension/4wd cars, so this looks like a real fun project!

Later,
ned
Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #460
Tech Regular

Cool simple pans??

After looking at those pictures, the P8C is looking simple. Matt, that PB car can be had threw Motonica USA. The old cars are super neat, but the plan was to run 3 cars and being able to get parts means allot.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #461
Tech Master

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
After looking at those pictures, the P8C is looking simple. Matt, that PB car can be had threw Motonica USA. The old cars are super neat, but the plan was to run 3 cars and being able to get parts means allot.
Lon-Don't quite follow you on "the plan". Are you saying at least 3 cars and only cars you can "get parts for"? Like everyone should run Motonica? I hope their can be a variety of chassis and include homemede, vintage, and modern stuff.
From what you have told me, Rick's vintage 300 and your P8C are very close in performance.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #462
Tech Master

Quote:
. Although I think the "new" pan cars are neat, I really would like to see a modernized, direct drive chassis with a "currently" available clutch, and able to use 4wd wheels and tires. I think that's what you and Joe are shooting for also, is it not??? Lon seems pretty set on the "modern" version but I have always enjoyed modifying/building my own stuff and that has pretty much gone away with the suspension/4wd cars, so this looks like a real fun project!

Later,
ned
.that is definately what Joe and I are shooting for.........a simple chassis with camber/caster adjustments.........hopefully a ball/gear diff...and be able to run modern rims.............we'd have and endless supply with the hardcore 1/8 guys throwing away what amounts to usable pan car tires.....and i suggest we use modern 3 port motors at best.....
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #463
Tech Addict

Quote:
Lon-Don't quite follow you on "the plan". Are you saying at least 3 cars and only cars you can "get parts for"? Like everyone should run Motonica? I hope their can be a variety of chassis and include homemede, vintage, and modern stuff.
From what you have told me, Rick's vintage 300 and your P8C are very close in performance.
hey ned brainstorm last night, will have a prototype front end direct bolt on for the assoiated stuff using modern sterring and wheels. i like the idea of a mixed bag of cars some home brewed or restomod and some new stuff. all in good fun
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #464
Tech Regular

Talking same track

We're all on the same track here. What I am saying is when I got 3 P8Cs, they were for my grandsons and myself. When that happens, I'll be getting parts for all three of us and the P8C is the right car for us. Not that it's better then the rest,or that everybody should have to run them. Nope! I'm kicking myself for selling my "RICH DAVIS" RC 300. I agree with Joe that this is about fun! Old or new, the more the merrier!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #465
Tech Regular

Lightbulb Still More

I'm not sure you'd have to limit motors as 2wd can only handle so much power. Also might get in the way of running an older K&B or OPS. I'd say let that ride for now, on less somebody starts killing everybody. Let's just play for now and if a real class is formed, then worry about rules.