R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #436
Tech Regular

Talking Old Pan helps New Pan!

Today I used two MRP 11 tooth pinions as weights on my front tires, to set the tweak on my Motonica P8C. How cool is that? You guys got me fired up on 2wd again.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #437
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Today I used two MRP 11 tooth pinions as weights on my front tires, to set the tweak on my Motonica P8C. How cool is that? You guys got me fired up on 2wd again.
NitroVein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #438
Tech Regular

Setting the P8C up to test with GT cars. Pretty sure what will happen, I need for people to see the car in action. When I ran a sportscar body with the 4wd guys, they thought they were seeing another 4wd. Dressed as a GT, it will be smaller and stand out from the rest. At least that's the plan, not to murder the other cars is also in the plan as I went them to enjoy the added competition. There is a need for this type car in our program!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #439
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Pan Cars in SC!

Well guys, I've been thinking and planning but not getting much done with the 1/8th scale pan cars yet. I have decided to get out the old drafting set and see if I can re-design an old friend.

My car will be a built up pod, kinda a cross between an Associated 300 and an MRP. A G10 fiberglass chassis with an aluminum forked bar front beam axle with pillow-ball steering blocks. This will let me easily use current frint wheels. The rest is pretty straight forward, radio plate with fuel tank, servoes and RX. I'd like to use a current buggy/truggy clutch set-up but may have to fabricate an 11 tooth clutch bell. I still need to find or make a Associated ball diff and disk brake, got the diff washers tho!

Unfortunately this is beginning to look like a winter project, not something I can get done yet this racing season. So I have found a P8C to mess with!

Later,
Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #440
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Well guys, I've been thinking and planning but not getting much done with the 1/8th scale pan cars yet. I have decided to get out the old drafting set and see if I can re-design an old friend.

My car will be a built up pod, kinda a cross between an Associated 300 and an MRP. A G10 fiberglass chassis with an aluminum forked bar front beam axle with pillow-ball steering blocks. This will let me easily use current frint wheels. The rest is pretty straight forward, radio plate with fuel tank, servoes and RX. I'd like to use a current buggy/truggy clutch set-up but may have to fabricate an 11 tooth clutch bell. I still need to find or make a Associated ball diff and disk brake, got the diff washers tho!

Unfortunately this is beginning to look like a winter project, not something I can get done yet this racing season. So I have found a P8C to mess with!

Later,
Ned
You won't have the free time this winter you think you might with the move and all.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #441
Tech Master

Default Move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
You won't have the free time this winter you think you might with the move and all.
Oh, I forgot about that! That's what happens when you get old....
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #442
Tech Regular

I thought I was old once, now I can't remember if I am!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #443
Tech Regular

Default 11 tooth

I'd give you one of my MRP 11 tooth pinions, but how would I set my tweak?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #444
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post

Later,
Ned
Ned
Fairly sure I have a couple of RC300 stock pods , checked on the front towers but only saw one pair and I want to hold onto them for my spares , have at least one of the 300I kits I had made up 20 years ago we can discuss $$ on PM - wil have to double check on 11th pinions - hope to have my 300 ready for Sunday.

Last edited by Rick Davis; 07-12-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: missed word
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #445
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
hey bud , you started it on sunday read it and weep guys taylorm finshed 2nd in gt with a pan car with a 20 year old motor !!! . hi matt it's joe
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #446
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Ned
Fairly sure I have a couple of RC300 stock pods , checked on the front towers but only saw one pair and I want to hold onto them for my spares , have at least one of the 300I kits I had made up 20 years ago we can discuss $$ on PM - wil have to double check on 11th pinions - hope to have my 300 ready for Sunday.
started work on my 300 today the new wheels fit on your excell adaptor on the non diff side by taking off the plastic hex. not sure bout the diff side. i think if they let us run with the gt guys i may only run that car good club fun. do you know the thread on the ball studs used on the new cars? joe
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #447
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
started work on my 300 today the new wheels fit on your excell adaptor on the non diff side by taking off the plastic hex. not sure bout the diff side. i think if they let us run with the gt guys i may only run that car good club fun. do you know the thread on the ball studs used on the new cars? joe
If your talking about the pillow balls it's 5mm x (I think) .8mm Don't know metric 100%
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #448
Tech Master

Default SC Pan Car Update!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
If your talking about the pillow balls it's 5mm x (I think) .8mm Don't know metric 100%
Joe, I went to the store and got some 5 x .8 nuts and confirmed my previous and Rick's Pillow ball thread size.

Ran the P8C in the street today and it works!!! Clutch was comming at a pretty high RPM but I'll wait to tune it at the track. I have mounts set up for GT or Sports car body and should be ready to go July 31 and Aug. 7 for the club races.

Still working on designing/building a home made car, but
probably won't get much done until fall/winter. I have some ideas for the pod and front end I need to draw up and I'd like to make a clutch that uses modern (readily available) clutch bells, flywheels, and shoes. Getting a decent ratio probably will require an 11 tooth pinion and 58 to 62 tooth spurs (5.2 to 5.6 sound close?)

What about using the guts from a 1/8 Buggy gear diff in the middle of the rear axle? Might solve part of the diff problem (while causing more!!)

See ya'll in a couple of weeks!
Ned
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #449
Tech Master

Default Sunday's Pan car debut in Toledo!

Way to go Matt! Sounds like you guys had a good time with the pan cars on the track. What were your impressions of your Associated car compared to your 4wd car? Were your tires suitable (close) or way off what you want? What clutch and gear ratio did you end up using? I think you had a buggy clutch in it didn't you?

Did you get a chance to drive Lon's P8C? What were your impressions comparing it and yours?

See you soon, Hope we can race 'em when I get there!!

Ned
Old 07-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #450
Tech Regular

Default Low Tech Fun!

Scott and Marks GT cars had the edge this time, but they were in striking distance, they were fun to run with. Ricks RC 300 was so very neat (best looking car at the track)(FLASH BACK 20 years). By the way, Matt was all smiles at the wheel.
I'm looking forward to the next clash of pans. A sportscar body and more motor might be needed to run down Ricks car as even a 20 year old OPS is one fine motor still. Yet my boy TQed for the pan cars with the GT body and 3 port motor. Folks, the chase is on!!
There could be 6 pans on 31st!