R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #4186
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 457
Default Motors

Having spent sometime at The U.S. World Nitro Cup at Full Throttle Race Way, I can only say what a fun track to run on. If they elect to run 2wd pan again next year, you gotta go, I will.
Anyway, we talked motors with the input of Stephan Nicaud from France. Seem they like 7 ports in Europe but Stephan bought a 5 port to race here. There have always been guys wanting to use old 4wd motors. Out of that talk came the idea of any port motor, all with a 5.4 or 6 mm resticter. Easy Tech for sure.
We had talked about Stephan slipping in his 7 port once and see how it compared with Loran Whitting and her 3 port, would have been interesting but never happened. They ran 6 minute qualifiers and that was a point of interest at top of the class where they ran 2 to 3 seconds faster laps then the rest of us. Results can be seen at The U.S. World Nitro Cup.
Just something to kick around for a month or two.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #4187
Tech Addict
 
gary47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default

I agree with Lon on pill, but u must also note most Europe tracks are larger than ours so power will not hurt them as much as to our smaller tracks.
__________________
Gary Andersen/ GFA RACING/WRC/NOVA ROSSI
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #4188
Tech Elite
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 2,459
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Yes we do prefer the higher port motors overseas. I run a R2101 in my P8C in Germany and Italy, it helps to have longer legs on the stretches where you would usually be shifting into 2nd on a 4wd chassis. I do also run a 5 port Tecnopower in the P8F.
__________________
-if you can't get ahold of me I am probably working, and that's out in the ocean. So please have patience when trying to correspond. - Thank you.


-> Harvey happend, now we can get back up on our feet and carry on.
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #4189
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 457
Default Very interresting

That truly put a different light on the subject. I thought you guys just like to spend money. Gonna guess you guys have kicked around the 2 speed idea, how did that go?
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #4190
Tech Elite
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 2,459
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
That truly put a different light on the subject. I thought you guys just like to spend money. Gonna guess you guys have kicked around the 2 speed idea, how did that go?
Well if you recall back in the ~90s Serpent and few others ran 2wd cars with a 2 speed. Even on the Impacts / 835 they were to be found. As the motors became more powerful and the foams lighter and better, it played out on the diffs. And at this time the Ball diff being the Creme' de'la Creme, it ouf course would wear out so much sooner. It sure was fun back then, and we would play with spring lengths, weights, lightening the 2speed clutch shoes to soften the effects.

I have run the 2 speed on the P8 Classis, with the gear diff and filled it with 100k diff-oil. Made the shift softer by running a taller gear than on a 4wd, to lessen the impact of the shift on the rear end. Ran 32 shore rears. I actually used a left over 2 speed hub, housing, clutch assembly and one way from my old MRX4X spares. This gave me more available spur options. Centax style clutch of course, not a 3 shoe GT/buggy style. Richened the carb slightly to accomodate the taller 2nd gear.

It was unexpected to drive at first, but it was like a 4wd car once the fronts wear out. After a while i came to grips with it and started running some hotter laps. I liked it a lot, it requires more concentration, but it seemed once in 2nd the chassis was easier to drive, perhaps due to the tall gearing.

We played with shift points to try and see at what point the chassis would have the least amount of unloading. Also played with rear weights inside the bulkheads. A couple other drivers ran some laps too, and it was 1980-90 over again.

As fun as it is and we actually ran faster laps(.2-.4 avg), we think it would be hard for novices not familiar with a 2spd to come to grasp, as chassis setup is a little more crucial. I think it would make a great Masters class under the old F1 bodies, with that big Wing on the back!!!

I will post some pics of the F1 car I am putting together to demo the posibility.

I also think someone could offer this as a kit with the SPM diff and a Mugen 2speed assembly!

But one younger racer at the track suggested a Gyro, and he was quickly frowned upon by all us older guys. Guess he could not appreciate the raw mechanical characteriatics of the 2spd car.
__________________
-if you can't get ahold of me I am probably working, and that's out in the ocean. So please have patience when trying to correspond. - Thank you.


-> Harvey happend, now we can get back up on our feet and carry on.
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:54 PM   #4191
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 457
Default Did you say "F1"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Well if you recall back in the ~90s Serpent and few others ran 2wd cars with a 2 speed. Even on the Impacts / 835 they were to be found. As the motors became more powerful and the foams lighter and better, it played out on the diffs. And at this time the Ball diff being the Creme' de'la Creme, it ouf course would wear out so much sooner. It sure was fun back then, and we would play with spring lengths, weights, lightening the 2speed clutch shoes to soften the effects.

I have run the 2 speed on the P8 Classis, with the gear diff and filled it with 100k diff-oil. Made the shift softer by running a taller gear than on a 4wd, to lessen the impact of the shift on the rear end. Ran 32 shore rears. I actually used a left over 2 speed hub, housing, clutch assembly and one way from my old MRX4X spares. This gave me more available spur options. Centax style clutch of course, not a 3 shoe GT/buggy style. Richened the carb slightly to accomodate the taller 2nd gear.

It was unexpected to drive at first, but it was like a 4wd car once the fronts wear out. After a while i came to grips with it and started running some hotter laps. I liked it a lot, it requires more concentration, but it seemed once in 2nd the chassis was easier to drive, perhaps due to the tall gearing.

We played with shift points to try and see at what point the chassis would have the least amount of unloading. Also played with rear weights inside the bulkheads. A couple other drivers ran some laps too, and it was 1980-90 over again.

As fun as it is and we actually ran faster laps(.2-.4 avg), we think it would be hard for novices not familiar with a 2spd to come to grasp, as chassis setup is a little more crucial. I think it would make a great Masters class under the old F1 bodies, with that big Wing on the back!!!

I will post some pics of the F1 car I am putting together to demo the posibility.

I also think someone could offer this as a kit with the SPM diff and a Mugen 2speed assembly!

But one younger racer at the track suggested a Gyro, and he was quickly frowned upon by all us older guys. Guess he could not appreciate the raw mechanical characteriatics of the 2spd car.
Played with my own PCF with 2 spd, but never a 2wd. Thanks for the input as that's pretty well what I would have figured on.

I like the fact you appreciate the benefits of a simple 2wd pan car. I too believe that to be an advantage to this class.

Some of us did run F1 bodies at a Midwest Series Race in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was fun and the cars took more of a beating then I thought they would. There was no doubt the F1 body was giving up performance to the sports car body. Still some of us planning to run them this year too.

We only have about 15 to 20 racers, not enough to break into another class yet. Each season we pick up 2 or 3 more, but the normal 2wd pan car is just too much fun to try and make changes with at this time.

Happy New Year!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #4192
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 457
Default Toledo One-Eight Racers meeting

Different thoughts and ideas about the motor rules for the 2wd pan class were talked over and voted on today. Results being that our 5 or 4 port motors must run a 6 mm restrictor, open 3 port rule still stands.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #4193
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Different thoughts and ideas about the motor rules for the 2wd pan class were talked over and voted on today. Results being that our 5 or 4 port motors must run a 6 mm restrictor, open 3 port rule still stands.
Booooo😜
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #4194
Tech Elite
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 2,459
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Maybe Steve can Import the Giga rear adjustable Body Mount for the Forfaster from France, for all the Z1 drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-giga-adjustable-rear-body-mount.-.jpg  
__________________
-if you can't get ahold of me I am probably working, and that's out in the ocean. So please have patience when trying to correspond. - Thank you.


-> Harvey happend, now we can get back up on our feet and carry on.
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #4195
Tech Master
 
Gary NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,157
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

SOLD - WRC Due 2wd onroad car. Car was only run a few times in 2013, not touched since, 2wd never really got going here in NY. Includes O’Donnell 3 port engine, hard anodized 086 pipe, Buku clutch (fantastic clutch – super easy to adjust!), high voltage metal gear servos, receiver, lipo receiver pack. DOES NOT INCLUDE THE TRANSPONDER SHOWN IN THE PICTURES!
Car has 7075 aluminum chassis (spare chassis plate included), assortment of spare/tuning parts shown, complete assortment of F/R Contact tires in the hardnesses you’ll need, starter box. New Protoform body never run (I honestly don’t remember which model it is…). Basically a complete 2wd program ready to put on the track. Loved this class, would like to see someone having fun with it! Selling for a fraction of what this program cost to put together. SOLD

Paypal only, to verified address only, US 48 states only, no trades please.

Additional photos available by email.

Gary - GMK Supply
If interested please email to [email protected] - please do not PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1484-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1493-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1495-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1541-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1539-2-.jpg  

__________________
Gary - GMK Supply
www.gmksupply.com
Great products. Goofy names.

Last edited by Gary NJ; 04-03-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Gary NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #4196
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,102
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Does anyone know IRWIN (Jason) still in business....? Made a small order last week and does not hear a email or phone call by them....I am not sure they are still in business....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #4197
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,102
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Does anyone know IRWIN (Jason) still in business....? Made a small order last week and does not hear a email or phone call by them....I am not sure they are still in business....
Happy to know that Jason and Irwin RC is still existing...Jason emailed me that he is sending the parts today, I guess he might be on vacation at other side of the world or something.....its all good now.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 AM   #4198
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 457
Default Happy to hear too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Happy to know that Jason and Irwin RC is still existing...Jason emailed me that he is sending the parts today, I guess he might be on vacation at other side of the world or something.....its all good now.
Glad he got back to you. he's been good about getting stuff out, but as a dealer, he's a bite too quiet! How ever, if he's enjoying life to the fullest, that's GREAT TOO!

Are you racing a pan car somewhere? We've got a fair size program running in the mid west and Toledo. They are a great cars to race!

LET'S RACE SO MORE!!!!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:39 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net