Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class >

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Old 12-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Motors

Having spent sometime at The U.S. World Nitro Cup at Full Throttle Race Way, I can only say what a fun track to run on. If they elect to run 2wd pan again next year, you gotta go, I will.
Anyway, we talked motors with the input of Stephan Nicaud from France. Seem they like 7 ports in Europe but Stephan bought a 5 port to race here. There have always been guys wanting to use old 4wd motors. Out of that talk came the idea of any port motor, all with a 5.4 or 6 mm resticter. Easy Tech for sure.
We had talked about Stephan slipping in his 7 port once and see how it compared with Loran Whitting and her 3 port, would have been interesting but never happened. They ran 6 minute qualifiers and that was a point of interest at top of the class where they ran 2 to 3 seconds faster laps then the rest of us. Results can be seen at The U.S. World Nitro Cup.
Just something to kick around for a month or two.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with Lon on pill, but u must also note most Europe tracks are larger than ours so power will not hurt them as much as to our smaller tracks.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Yes we do prefer the higher port motors overseas. I run a R2101 in my P8C in Germany and Italy, it helps to have longer legs on the stretches where you would usually be shifting into 2nd on a 4wd chassis. I do also run a 5 port Tecnopower in the P8F.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Default Very interresting

That truly put a different light on the subject. I thought you guys just like to spend money. Gonna guess you guys have kicked around the 2 speed idea, how did that go?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
That truly put a different light on the subject. I thought you guys just like to spend money. Gonna guess you guys have kicked around the 2 speed idea, how did that go?
Well if you recall back in the ~90s Serpent and few others ran 2wd cars with a 2 speed. Even on the Impacts / 835 they were to be found. As the motors became more powerful and the foams lighter and better, it played out on the diffs. And at this time the Ball diff being the Creme' de'la Creme, it ouf course would wear out so much sooner. It sure was fun back then, and we would play with spring lengths, weights, lightening the 2speed clutch shoes to soften the effects.

I have run the 2 speed on the P8 Classis, with the gear diff and filled it with 100k diff-oil. Made the shift softer by running a taller gear than on a 4wd, to lessen the impact of the shift on the rear end. Ran 32 shore rears. I actually used a left over 2 speed hub, housing, clutch assembly and one way from my old MRX4X spares. This gave me more available spur options. Centax style clutch of course, not a 3 shoe GT/buggy style. Richened the carb slightly to accomodate the taller 2nd gear.

It was unexpected to drive at first, but it was like a 4wd car once the fronts wear out. After a while i came to grips with it and started running some hotter laps. I liked it a lot, it requires more concentration, but it seemed once in 2nd the chassis was easier to drive, perhaps due to the tall gearing.

We played with shift points to try and see at what point the chassis would have the least amount of unloading. Also played with rear weights inside the bulkheads. A couple other drivers ran some laps too, and it was 1980-90 over again.

As fun as it is and we actually ran faster laps(.2-.4 avg), we think it would be hard for novices not familiar with a 2spd to come to grasp, as chassis setup is a little more crucial. I think it would make a great Masters class under the old F1 bodies, with that big Wing on the back!!!

I will post some pics of the F1 car I am putting together to demo the posibility.

I also think someone could offer this as a kit with the SPM diff and a Mugen 2speed assembly!

But one younger racer at the track suggested a Gyro, and he was quickly frowned upon by all us older guys. Guess he could not appreciate the raw mechanical characteriatics of the 2spd car.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Did you say "F1"?

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Well if you recall back in the ~90s Serpent and few others ran 2wd cars with a 2 speed. Even on the Impacts / 835 they were to be found. As the motors became more powerful and the foams lighter and better, it played out on the diffs. And at this time the Ball diff being the Creme' de'la Creme, it ouf course would wear out so much sooner. It sure was fun back then, and we would play with spring lengths, weights, lightening the 2speed clutch shoes to soften the effects.

I have run the 2 speed on the P8 Classis, with the gear diff and filled it with 100k diff-oil. Made the shift softer by running a taller gear than on a 4wd, to lessen the impact of the shift on the rear end. Ran 32 shore rears. I actually used a left over 2 speed hub, housing, clutch assembly and one way from my old MRX4X spares. This gave me more available spur options. Centax style clutch of course, not a 3 shoe GT/buggy style. Richened the carb slightly to accomodate the taller 2nd gear.

It was unexpected to drive at first, but it was like a 4wd car once the fronts wear out. After a while i came to grips with it and started running some hotter laps. I liked it a lot, it requires more concentration, but it seemed once in 2nd the chassis was easier to drive, perhaps due to the tall gearing.

We played with shift points to try and see at what point the chassis would have the least amount of unloading. Also played with rear weights inside the bulkheads. A couple other drivers ran some laps too, and it was 1980-90 over again.

As fun as it is and we actually ran faster laps(.2-.4 avg), we think it would be hard for novices not familiar with a 2spd to come to grasp, as chassis setup is a little more crucial. I think it would make a great Masters class under the old F1 bodies, with that big Wing on the back!!!

I will post some pics of the F1 car I am putting together to demo the posibility.

I also think someone could offer this as a kit with the SPM diff and a Mugen 2speed assembly!

But one younger racer at the track suggested a Gyro, and he was quickly frowned upon by all us older guys. Guess he could not appreciate the raw mechanical characteriatics of the 2spd car.
Played with my own PCF with 2 spd, but never a 2wd. Thanks for the input as that's pretty well what I would have figured on.

I like the fact you appreciate the benefits of a simple 2wd pan car. I too believe that to be an advantage to this class.

Some of us did run F1 bodies at a Midwest Series Race in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was fun and the cars took more of a beating then I thought they would. There was no doubt the F1 body was giving up performance to the sports car body. Still some of us planning to run them this year too.

We only have about 15 to 20 racers, not enough to break into another class yet. Each season we pick up 2 or 3 more, but the normal 2wd pan car is just too much fun to try and make changes with at this time.

Happy New Year!!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Toledo One-Eight Racers meeting

Different thoughts and ideas about the motor rules for the 2wd pan class were talked over and voted on today. Results being that our 5 or 4 port motors must run a 6 mm restrictor, open 3 port rule still stands.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Different thoughts and ideas about the motor rules for the 2wd pan class were talked over and voted on today. Results being that our 5 or 4 port motors must run a 6 mm restrictor, open 3 port rule still stands.
Booooo😜
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe Steve can Import the Giga rear adjustable Body Mount for the Forfaster from France, for all the Z1 drivers.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-giga-adjustable-rear-body-mount.-.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

SOLD - WRC Due 2wd onroad car. Car was only run a few times in 2013, not touched since, 2wd never really got going here in NY. Includes O’Donnell 3 port engine, hard anodized 086 pipe, Buku clutch (fantastic clutch – super easy to adjust!), high voltage metal gear servos, receiver, lipo receiver pack. DOES NOT INCLUDE THE TRANSPONDER SHOWN IN THE PICTURES!
Car has 7075 aluminum chassis (spare chassis plate included), assortment of spare/tuning parts shown, complete assortment of F/R Contact tires in the hardnesses you’ll need, starter box. New Protoform body never run (I honestly don’t remember which model it is…). Basically a complete 2wd program ready to put on the track. Loved this class, would like to see someone having fun with it! Selling for a fraction of what this program cost to put together. SOLD

Paypal only, to verified address only, US 48 states only, no trades please.

Additional photos available by email.

Gary - GMK Supply
If interested please email to [email protected] - please do not PM me.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1484-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1493-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1495-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1541-2-.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1539-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Gary NJ; 04-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does anyone know IRWIN (Jason) still in business....? Made a small order last week and does not hear a email or phone call by them....I am not sure they are still in business....
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Does anyone know IRWIN (Jason) still in business....? Made a small order last week and does not hear a email or phone call by them....I am not sure they are still in business....
Happy to know that Jason and Irwin RC is still existing...Jason emailed me that he is sending the parts today, I guess he might be on vacation at other side of the world or something.....its all good now.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default Happy to hear too

Originally Posted by Solara
Happy to know that Jason and Irwin RC is still existing...Jason emailed me that he is sending the parts today, I guess he might be on vacation at other side of the world or something.....its all good now.
Glad he got back to you. he's been good about getting stuff out, but as a dealer, he's a bite too quiet! How ever, if he's enjoying life to the fullest, that's GREAT TOO!

Are you racing a pan car somewhere? We've got a fair size program running in the mid west and Toledo. They are a great cars to race!

LET'S RACE SO MORE!!!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default What engine?

Without consideration for racing rules...
What engines work well to drive a 2wd pan car?
I imagine a super smooth power band that's not too punchy? Or is it just a clutch adjustment to get the smoothness?
There are engines made for smooth power bands in n off road buggies, do they exist for on road too?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In Toledo (and also Midwest series competitors) we use pretty much any 3 port we can still find or 5 ports with a 6mm restrictor. Good 3 ports are getting tricky to find, 5 ports are thinning out. The rest of the world seems to run more radical porting.

There was a driver a couple years ago that won the class in the Midwest series using a Werks 5 port w/restrictor and a cut down heat sink. $179 at Tower.

I don't think it's all about the engine with this class. you don't need a big top end hit to get around the track quick. It's the smooth driver who hits his corners right lap after lap that most often comes out ahead.

Me, I'm not that guy...but it's a fun class to race.
VS_Rody likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.