European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Something to think about. If the ball diff works better, why are the Motonica Extreme and Extreme II plus the WRC Due and Evo only offered with a gear diff?

We do run our cars set up for different things, our tracks have tighter turns, boards, and we spray our track so traction is good from the start (does get better as the day goes on.) We aren't looking for the fastest pan car, so we limit the motors. this keeps price of racing down in several ways. Price of the motor to start, burn less fuel, hits thing at slower speed so doesn't break as often, thus you get more track time and less repairing. Yet our racing is very close. If you feel the need for speed (and a lot of us do) go 4wd, but our 2wd pans are no less fun. Do you race 4wd and 2wd on the same race day?

Thank you for the input as I will work at getting a ball diff to test.

One last thing, don't say "sorry", I think your being French is just so very cool!
I think the issue and difference to us here in the US, is that they run full 7 & 9 port motors, some drivers have modified the gear differential as the planet gear pin holes were wearing out. Romaine D. ran a ball differential most of the time even in his Extreme chassis. In his new SPM car he ia running a gear Diff. Now I am sure the new SPM gear differential will be an upgrade for many of us still wheeling a Motonica, given that it is made of higher quality materials and is more maintenance friendly. I have a P8C with a gear diff, running an old RB 5 port, a P8C with the serpent Ball Diff, running an OS Speed R2101 and lastly a P8 Classic with the standard Motonica Ball Diff, running a Tecnopower P02. For my driving I prefer the Serpent Ball Diff, this though I think is because, having run an RC-300BD, 1/12 6-cell, Pro-10, and Serpents 1:8 2wd Ball Diff cars - I am partial to it's characteristics. I have a Motonica solid Spool that I am about to put in the RB powered P8C, and give that a whirl, for the RC-250s days sake

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 09-10-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I think the issue and difference to us here in the US, is that they run full 7 & 9 port motors, some drivers have modified the gear differential as the plant gear pin holes were wearing out. Romaine D. ran a ball differential most of the time even in his Extreme chassis. In his new SPM car he ia running a gear Diff. Now I am sure the new SPM gear differential will be an upgrade for many of us still wheeling a Motonica, given that it is made of higher quality materials and is more maintenance friendly. I have a P8C with a gear diff, running an old RB 5 port, a P8C with the serpent Ball Diff, running an OS Speed R2101 and lastly a P8 Classic with the standard Motonica Ball Diff, running a Tecnopower P02. For my driving I prefer the Serpent Ball Diff, this though I think is because, having run an RC-300BD, 1/12 6-cell, Pro-10, and Serpents 1:8 2wd Ball Diff cars - I am partial to it's characteristics. I have a Motonica solid Spool that I am about to put in the RB powered P8C, and give that a whirl, for the RC-250s days sake
1/8 IC fan....i have an old Rick Davis t-bar RC300 based car with an older 7 port Picco motor ( old 4wd motor)....even with the higher power motor the car corners way better than my DXF car ( which has offroad style gear diff). Gear diffs seem to me to constantly be in a too tight or too loose condition....with the middle ground hard to find as the oil starts cold/ hard then gets hot/soft later in the run. I tried a couple older BMT ball diffs in a scratch built car. I could never
get the smaller diameter diff to operate properly. The larger diameter of the ancient Associated diff seems to allow a looser setting which lets the diff work well in the corners and still distribute power more evenly OFF the corner....Only problem with the RC300 is the huge diameter...burn off some tire...now the spur hits....arghhhh
Old 09-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Looking forward to seeing you in Portage, perhaps I too will be running a WRC, Motonica has gone back to 4wd, but I don't remember what motor is in the WRC. (to many car in the fleet) If I can help in any way (you too, have to many cars in your fleet). Let me know, and good luck to you!

Also, looks as if our family of racers will match yours in numbers, as you know, that's the real fun of it all!
Sounds good. Should be a fun weekend in Portage and cooler than last time i hope. Always better racing with more family.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
1/8 IC fan....i have an old Rick Davis t-bar RC300 based car with an older 7 port Picco motor ( old 4wd motor)....even with the higher power motor the car corners way better than my DXF car ( which has offroad style gear diff). Gear diffs seem to me to constantly be in a too tight or too loose condition....with the middle ground hard to find as the oil starts cold/ hard then gets hot/soft later in the run. I tried a couple older BMT ball diffs in a scratch built car. I could never
get the smaller diameter diff to operate properly. The larger diameter of the ancient Associated diff seems to allow a looser setting which lets the diff work well in the corners and still distribute power more evenly OFF the corner....Only problem with the RC300 is the huge diameter...burn off some tire...now the spur hits....arghhhh
I have been toying with a pulley and toothed belt setup for my BD right now. And I have made some adapters ala' Assocista to run current wheels, they just need to be finish TIG welded.

I know what you are saying with the gear diff, when you run a heavier weight silicone it does not "diff" enough to warm up and be consistent, then when you add the medium to light weight the different warms up and loses consistency. I wonder if the RPM at which the diff spins and it's centrifugal force is impacting the diff and it's operation.

I just try and maintain the ball different the best I can, I polish the ring groves in the different rings periodically with valve lapping compound, and I get new replacement balls via SKF.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congrats and thanks to everyone who participated and helped out with the GLC pan race! Special thanks to Lon Sr and Dana Smeltzer for there help getting my car into shape and for the pit work. Great job to David and Joe for the podium finishes! Below is info I posted on the WRC Pan Car thread:

When I got home from Toledo I sat down and wrote what I think is a very nice article about the GLC event and Pan class final. The story opens with a very brief reference to pan car history, then discusses the rebirth of our class in the U.S.. I discussed your work in the Midwest and the GLC as our big annual event, as well as the Toledo club and MWS being the core support of the class as it grows each year. Sadly I have not seen the article on RedRC. It was written to bring more attention to what we are doing and why we are doing it. Perhaps I will resubmit a variation of the story at the conclusion of the MWS season. I think it would help many racers better understand who we are. I don't think many of the folks at the GLC and other nitro events realize that this class was the first, or get that it's a really fun and affordable alternative to the other classes at nitro events. If it does not show up online I will post it on rctech or expand it into a larger story for another outlet or magazine. Anyone with ideas please share. -jason
Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I have been toying with a pulley and toothed belt setup for my BD right now. And I have made some adapters ala' Assocista to run current wheels, they just need to be finish TIG welded.

I know what you are saying with the gear diff, when you run a heavier weight silicone it does not "diff" enough to warm up and be consistent, then when you add the medium to light weight the different warms up and loses consistency. I wonder if the RPM at which the diff spins and it's centrifugal force is impacting the diff and it's operation.

I just try and maintain the ball different the best I can, I polish the ring groves in the different rings periodically with valve lapping compound, and I get new replacement balls via SKF.
i also machined rear adapters from r my RC300.. I can now run modern rims... Still need to make front adapters...would love to see photos / drawings of your drivetrain ideas...The season is almost over..i want the get my 300 running next year in a manner competitive with the modern cars...ie plastic fantastic....
Old 09-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
They didn't have anymore fun than they are right now. They just remember it being more fun is all. Kinda like the older we get the faster we use to be. Back then they had to show up and set up the track, spray the track, make a chalk outline on the track to mark the infeild, set up the scoring table, then set up the pit table made of mostly cardboard with a yellow steel frame work. Now they are ready for some practice. Walk up to the frequency board and see if their freq. pin is available. (We'll assume it was) Walk to the support vehicle with car in hand. Get the bump starter hooked up to the battery of the car. Start trying to hit the flywheel while its not on a compression stroke. The engine won't start now because it won't prime its self. Now you'd need to get the attention of someone to put their finger over the stinger on the muffler while they once again bump start their car since you had to hold the car with one hand and the starter with the other. At last the car is fired up and running. Now they can run and get some practice in to learn the fresh new layout for this week. Plus you needed to run in your tires you stayed up late glueing up on a set of wheels. You still have the rubbery glue on your fingers to prove it too. You know if you run them a good amount in practice they should be good for the main. Heavin forbid you chunk one!

Practice is over.

Now we are ready for the fun part. You run your car and put in the run of your life but some how your scored as being three laps off the pace because Lon brought his kid to the races and he doesn't pay much attention when scoring someone elses car. Never mind that for now because you have to go marshal now.

While walking out to marshal you notice some airplane tires cut in half are out of place so you now have to move those back into place. With your area in good order you are ready! You marshaled much the same as we do today except you didn't get to use a chair. You have to be on the ready at all times! I also seem to recall people being in a much bigger hurry for the marshals to get their car back on track and in the race than they do these days. I think it was because if the car flamed out getting it refired was a pain. Now that you have stood in the 100º f heat and marshaled while being yelled at by driver's you get to go sit at the scoring table.

You sit down and figure out which car you are scoring. Once the race starts you have to click this little clicker and write down the number on the clicker for each lap. However the race can't start because the race director who might be you this week over looked two guys are on the same freq. in the same heat. So now someone needs to change crystals in their transmiter and receiver and off course re start his car with a bump starter.

So now you have run your three rounds of qaulifing and run your mains which might have been 30 minutes in 100º F heat.and you are ready to go home. WRONG!!! Now you have to tear down the track and stack it all perfectly into the trailer. If the bottom few boards are wrong then you have to unpack the whole thing again and start from scratch. Also remember no one had a EZ up or anything like it. Even the scoring table offered you zero protection from the beaming sun.

Thats how I recall the good ole days. Thank god for 2.4 radios, personal transponders, starter boxes, EZ ups, permanent canopies, pre-mounted tires, hudy tire truers, and most of all a Permanent track!! (Oh and SHOCKS!!!) lol
Makes me appreciate what we have today so much. Just chanced upon this post and had to say that. Sorry for digging up an old post.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I wanted to show to lovers pan car a video from the last french national race, but i can't put a link here(maybe because im new member).

Last edited by flex82; 09-16-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Elite class(or expert class)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzgywp91DM

National class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvyrxlDjMa0

This track will have the world 2017 1/8 4X4

Hope you enjoy.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flex82
Elite class(or expert class)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzgywp91DM

National class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvyrxlDjMa0

This track will have the world 2017 1/8 4X4

Hope you enjoy.
Great videos....i assume those are open motors?.. Look fast!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the great videos!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Great videos....i assume those are open motors?.. Look fast!!!
You welcome. Yes, its open motors mostly with 7 or 9 ports with 16% nitro.

@Johnson40 You welcome too
Old 09-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Harold996tt
Makes me appreciate what we have today so much. Just chanced upon this post and had to say that. Sorry for digging up an old post.
Lol. I had forgotten I wrote that even.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)

Was a good race at the last Midwest series race, going to come down to the last race to decide who will win the championship. There is an 8 point gap between the top 3 drivers

Last edited by racerx1920; 09-22-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like a deadlock for the MWS title. Good luck to you guys and may the best man take home the hardware! I hope its a great race weekend.
Jason

Originally Posted by racerx1920
Was a good race at the last Midwest series race, going to come down to the last race to decide who will win the championship. There is an 8 point gap between the top 3 drivers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.