R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #3901
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

So I picked up the Motonica P8C from David, being that Garen is no longer distributing Motonica, spares are few and far. As such I have converted the front end to a direct steering setup ala' our European friends setups. As of now the steering servo runs on the same plane as the steering knuckles. The fuel tank is now mounted with screws and rubber grommets. I machined some Delrin mounts , of which the front is made to emulate what is on the P8C extreme 2. The receiver has its own tray mounted to the bottom of the Throttle / Brake servo delrin mount. I have modified some Mugen MRX spur gears to run on the motonica carrier. The. Brake disc is machined to lighten and aid in cooling. The front bumper has been replaced with an ABS one. The wheel quick change levers are longer machined delrin pieces.

Right now I am working on a conversion kit, that will allow someone to run a cheaper powerplant and possible utilize some existing parts from other kits, that is the reason you see a Nova P3 SX with pullstart. Also a teaser of a few parts that need finish machining.

Once the full conversion kit is done, I will present it here,
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0178.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0174.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0176.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0173.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0179.jpg  

Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #3902
Tech Master

Here is the mugen spur gear mounted with washers and locknuts.
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0177.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #3903
Tech Regular

Default nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
So I picked up the Motonica P8C from David, being that Garen is no longer distributing Motonica, spares are few and far. As such I have converted the front end to a direct steering setup ala' our European friends setups. As of now the steering servo runs on the same plane as the steering knuckles. The fuel tank is now mounted with screws and rubber grommets. I machined some Delrin mounts , of which the front is made to emulate what is on the P8C extreme 2. The receiver has its own tray mounted to the bottom of the Throttle / Brake servo delrin mount. I have modified some Mugen MRX spur gears to run on the motonica carrier. The. Brake disc is machined to lighten and aid in cooling. The front bumper has been replaced with an ABS one. The wheel quick change levers are longer machined delrin pieces.

Right now I am working on a conversion kit, that will allow someone to run a cheaper powerplant and possible utilize some existing parts from other kits, that is the reason you see a Nova P3 SX with pullstart. Also a teaser of a few parts that need finish machining.

Once the full conversion kit is done, I will present it here,
I like that you're playing with the P8C. I would think getting a body over the steering servo is not going to be easy. It must be an older car as Mugen MRX4 spur gears pop right on our Motonicas. Garen had gotten me several of the soft Motonica bumper and I really liked them as they held up better then the black stock bumpers. ABS is good for about one good hit, you might want to rethink that. I think I see a WRC clutch bell there, 19t is as big as they make, find a Motonica 21 or 22. Motor is most likely fine till you get into some heated racing.

My biggest Motonica problem remains the front arms, they were always the weak spot on that car (unless you never hit anything). Might just make the jump to WRC cause you can get parts. Both seem to be fine cars.

Lots of luck with your project! Looks Cool.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #3904
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
I like that you're playing with the P8C. I would think getting a body over the steering servo is not going to be easy. It must be an older car as Mugen MRX4 spur gears pop right on our Motonicas. Garen had gotten me several of the soft Motonica bumper and I really liked them as they held up better then the black stock bumpers. ABS is good for about one good hit, you might want to rethink that. I think I see a WRC clutch bell there, 19t is as big as they make, find a Motonica 21 or 22. Motor is most likely fine till you get into some heated racing.

My biggest Motonica problem remains the front arms, they were always the weak spot on that car (unless you never hit anything). Might just make the jump to WRC cause you can get parts. Both seem to be fine cars.

Lots of luck with your project! Looks Cool.
Thanks, the servo clears fine with a protoform PFR 18, I am still going to mount a S9551 low profile servo for steering, which will let me run my preferred (Mugen and Serpent) Lola bodies. The ABS used is machine grade, so its quite a bit stronger than sheet grade ABS. I am still awaiting some G10 to actually machine a new bumper. As far as the 19t pinion, its paired with a 44t spur for the time. I am a die hard Motonica guy since my timein Europe, as such is why I will start offering conversions for guys with the chassis so that they can continue to run the car to some extent. I have a brand new P8C combo assembled and a well run P8 Classic. Just waiting on my P8F to arrive so I can run at the local track without have to worry about holding up traffic, lol!

I hope also the conversion kit will let some people introduce family and friends, while enabling them to not worry about harming or using their existing chassis.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #3905
Tech Master

Here are the others, the P8C has all stainless hardware, and the optional pulleys, the P8 Classic is as is, just with a modified serpent clutchbell, and running a Tecnopower buggy motor.
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0193.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0192.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0191.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0190.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag0189.jpg  

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 09-18-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Pictures oriented upside down.
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #3906
Tech Regular

Default Very cool, but

Quote:
Here are the others, the P8C has all stainless hardware, and the optional pulleys, the P8 Classic is as is, just with a modified serpent clutchbell, and running a Tecnopower buggy motor.
Cool stuff you got there but the more I look, the more I wonder. The 32 fronts on one car and weights added to the other are so far from what we've all have come to find that works. in 2wd, we're running 50 fronts and 32 or 35 on the rear as these cars over steer allot.

Do you really have a F8C coming and from where? Your one car is a good starting spot to make your own, I did. Wish I could remember how to do the picture thing. Think there are pictures on this forum some where.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #3907
Tech Master

Quote:
Cool stuff you got there but the more I look, the more I wonder. The 32 fronts on one car and weights added to the other are so far from what we've all have come to find that works. in 2wd, we're running 50 fronts and 32 or 35 on the rear as these cars over steer allot.

Do you really have a F8C coming and from where? Your one car is a good starting spot to make your own, I did. Wish I could remember how to do the picture thing. Think there are pictures on this forum some where.
Thanks, the 32's are only on there as they were left over Shepherds I had purchased for my MRX4X, the P8C new build will not see the track, but be on display. The extra weight is from my days of running Pro10 in the 90s, as I prefer a quick transition onto the front tires under braking. I am running 37s on the front and 35s on rear on the runners.

And the new P8F will be coming from Germany via an old racing buddy. He we also be sending a few more spares.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #3908
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks, the 32's are only on there as they were left over Shepherds I had purchased for my MRX4X, the P8C new build will not see the track, but be on display. The extra weight is from my days of running Pro10 in the 90s, as I prefer a quick transition onto the front tires under braking. I am running 37s on the front and 35s on rear on the runners.

And the new P8F will be coming from Germany via an old racing buddy. He we also be sending a few more spares.
With an over seas connection, do you know weather Motonica is still making rc cars? I've sent them e-mails but they never reply. tried to get a P8F.

Just my thoughts, if you are trying to get a 2wd pan class going in your area, I think the P8F will only cloud up the picture. I agree that that car sounds like fun, I've run my 4wd pan twice and put it up, no where near set up, but there is no place for that sort of car. once we get a strong 2wd class going then perhaps I'll bring it out.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #3909
Suspended

Does any body here who knows whether i can use Motonica tires on my mugen MRX5?
conrad721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #3910
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47

Quote:
With an over seas connection, do you know weather Motonica is still making rc cars? I've sent them e-mails but they never reply. tried to get a P8F.

Just my thoughts, if you are trying to get a 2wd pan class going in your area, I think the P8F will only cloud up the picture. I agree that that car sounds like fun, I've run my 4wd pan twice and put it up, no where near set up, but there is no place for that sort of car. once we get a strong 2wd class going then perhaps I'll bring it out.
I think we should keep mines open in this class and not run same body as rest classes. I for one want see more open wheel body used as like f1 have our class stand out. Takes open wheel body and little time make new front bumper. I will stand firm on open wheel body next year and will run pan class when start use that style body.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #3911
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad721 View Post
Does any body here who knows whether i can use Motonica tires on my mugen MRX5?
you do mean will a Motonica wheel fit a MRX5, yes. Some 1/8th scale wheels might be tighter, but for the most part they will interchange. Get them wheels rolling!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #3912
Tech Adept

Default P8C for sale

I will be purchasing a WRC chassis after Christmas and will be selling my Motonica . If anyone interested in it ,I will disassemble now and sell to anyone who may want it ,at a very reasonable price . PM me if interested.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #3913
Suspended

yes. they are still making car. They have summer holiday in August normally in Europe.But no new cars this year. I bought RS3 last year.
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #3914
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
you do mean will a Motonica wheel fit a MRX5, yes. Some 1/8th scale wheels might be tighter, but for the most part they will interchange. Get them wheels rolling!
Yes. Thanks! I searched they have different wheel light rim and carbon. Did you try any ?
conrad721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #3915
Tech Regular

Default YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad721 View Post
Yes. Thanks! I searched they have different wheel light rim and carbon. Did you try any ?
I hit stuff so light rims bust up easily, they're for the real fast guys. Standard white wheels and carbon work good. Black carbon looks good to (till everybody has them, then white starts looking cool. Just one of those strange things about life.)