R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The discs were all in one bag and I tried to separate the hard from the soft using a durometer and by feel. This is one of the issues I mentioned to the folks back in Italy- to put them in separate marked bags. If I got them separated right, I used the hard discs under the plate and the soft plates on top.
Check out the motonica usa website, P8C info is on there. Does your buddy in Houston still want one?

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #332
Tech Master

http://www.youtube.com/teammotonica
There are videos of the 2wd cars on the above link.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #333
Tech Rookie

Default DXF: option parts 2010

hello,

New option parts are available now. You can see it on the website of "DXF competition".

FYI we are preparing the 1st race for 1/8 pan-car Brushless in march 2010. More informations will arrive later.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #334
Tech Master

Ran the P8C today at Crystal Park. Car is very fun to drive. I'll get into details later, but the car works better than one would imagine, considering it is 2wd and has no suspension. At high speeds the car is very stable and very easy to drive. At low speeds you just have to watch your trigger finger.
I made a few changes to the car, mainly thicker diff oil, smaller spur gear, and increased caster. You'll definitely want harder fronts and softer rears (tires), and based on today's testing only, there is no need for a hot motor and on road style clutch. I am using the Motonica 3 port Novarossi based engine with stock header and pipe and it is plenty for the car. Next time out I will try to shoot video and post on youtube.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #335
Tech Master

What shore tires and diff oil were you using with your test?
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #336
Tech Master

I started with 10,000 cps in the diff and 35 rear tires with 40 fronts. The diff was 'diffing' coming out of the corners and entering the corners I had too much steering, so I changed the oil to 30,000 cps. I might still go even higher to 50,000. I also changed the tires to 32 shore rear with 42 front. The track was sprayed with some traction compound (VHT) but was still dusty, at least by local standards.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #337
Tech Master

If you could shoot a video that would be great. I must admit, the price here in europe is a really good offer for the p8c together with motor, pipe and clutch. Only some extra bits and it is up and running without to much extra cost if you come from electro like myself, Then only need an extra servo, tires, a basic starter kit with glowplug driver etc and some glowplugs .....

What kind of steering servo would be needed? Would a futaba s9550 work? Torque: 67 oz/in @ 4.8V - 83 oz/in @ 6V
(4.8 kg/cm @ 4.8V - 6.0 kg/cm @ 6V)

or would it need a heigher torque?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #338
Tech Master

I am using an Airtronics 362 for steering and an Airtronics 361 for throttle. These were previously on my P81, which now has newer Airtronics digital servos. I don't know the Futaba servos well, but the one you listed should have plenty of torque. The servo I am using has more than enough power, and I don't think it is important to have a super fast/powerful steering servo for this car.
I will shoot a video this weekend for sure.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #339
Tech Master

I got to race the P8C this weekend. We had the Novarossi Cup at our local track and I was allowed to run the car in the Sportsman 4wd class. With only 11 drivers, we were all in the A final. I managed to qualify 9th. The car is very easy to drive, and best of all, required almost zero wrenching all weekend.
Lap time wise my fastest lap time with the P8C was about 3.5 seconds slower than my P81. I was able to run the same set of tires all weekend. Unfortunately about 3 laps into the main someone rolled their car onto the backstraight, and I went into the parked car at full throttle, breaking the front right axle mount- the piece that the front right knuckle threads into. I also bent the steering tie rod, but that was it. Considering the severity of the hit, one bent and one broken part is not bad.
The track was very clean and had a lot of grip- VHT was sprayed Saturday morning. The car had plenty of grip, in fact too much and I had to reduce rear toe and rear camber to minimize the rear end chattering. You can't hammer the throttle like on a 4wd car, so the driving style is a little different. The car likes to roll through the corners, but can be driven at full speed on the high speed sweepers.
The stock Motonica engine package gets good fuel mileage, upwards of 7 minutes. IMO this is an excellent platform for grassroots/beginner drivers as a step up from electric or off road racing to full blown on road nitro racing. Operating costs for this car and this type of car are far less than 200mm and 1/8th 4wd cars and the amount of trackside wrenching and upkeep is minimal compared to the other classes.
I was not able to get video shot, but I will next time for sure. My next step is to get one of the vintage bodies.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #340
Tech Master

9th place from 11 isn't so bad considering the short time you had setting it up and drive the car. You are right, 2wd cars have to be driven different then 4wd cars . Best example are the electric 1/10 pancar and 4wd touring car.

A tc car (and 1:8 4wd as well) will hook into a tight corner using high brakes while a pancar has to use the apex and a flowing driving style to keep momentum.

Last weekend i drove against 1:10 tc cars with my 200mm 2wd pancar on a smal carpet track. We both had the same kind of motors and 2s lipo's. The tc using hooking into corners and point and shoot while i was driving more flowing, using wider archs to keep my momentum. The tc cars could not keep up even though he was braking even later and using even more hooking into corners. They were amazed by the corner speeds my pancar had over the tc.

I gues with 1:8 4wd nitro that the difference will probably not be as huge as 1:10 electric and probably you are at a slight disadvantage as the 1:8 4wd are using foams as well. Traction will be sometimes difficult to find though if the track isn't sprayed and a 4wd will be at an advantage if traction is limited.

The only thing driving inbetween 4wd cars is that you get t-boned once in a while going into the corners when the 4wd cars cut into the corners and into you driving line.

Did you change tire combo or anything else? what mileage do you get with the engine you have in your p81?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #341
Tech Master

seems the p8c got a new upgraded version. The apparant change is that three point rocker with different hardnes of foam has been modified to 2 point rocker wich seem to have 2 adjustable flex points to adjust tension/stifnes of the side to side motion of the rocker. Overall a more technical/tunable front end it seems from the discription and pictures. The original is still a very good offer with the engine and pipe etc.
http://www.motonica.com/en/products/P8C-EXT_2

Last edited by 2wdrive; 02-09-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #342
Tech Initiate

Default French championship

Hello all,

as an information, the 1st french championship round on 5 planned, will stand on march 13 & 14th in Toulouse (south west), at this time, at least 60 drivers are registered for nitro race and 4 for electric race !

Unfortunately I can't be there, but many friend of mine will race so I'll post information about this race the week after.

BR

Webclassic
webclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #343
Tech Master

could you ask some of your french colleagues to shoot a video of some of the races?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #344
Tech Master

Who is the US distrubutor for these cars??
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #345
Tech Master

For the Motonica cars- www.motonica-usa.com