Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

How about this: 3 port has no carb restriction (anything up to 9mm may be used); more than 3 ports runs a 7mm carb restrictor. Fiddle with the numbers as appropriate to give a slight edge to the 3 port.

Edit: Way back when, ROAR had a restrictor written into the rules. If I recall correctly, it was really small (5mm?). The power was just about right when the traction went away in the heat of the day in Las Vegas.

Last edited by howardcano; 08-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

If the direction is to head toward motor / power control make it simple - restrict carb inlet - Nova has restrictors listed all the way down to 5.4mm , Pipe restrictions work also but with nothing commercially available probably not a good direction to go. Trying to count ports , check sleeve timing , check crank diameter , crank timing etc. means opening motors up and that will collapse under it's own weight just like the well intentioned 1/10th motor rules did.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All I can say is the 5 port turbo plug Nova I ran was great (I used the 7mm restrictor), its $199, and unlike the Basic Competition 3port version ($169), it comes with a better/stronger conrod, which makes its a better deal and more durable, and it includes 4 restrictor sizes in the box. Also, it has the turbo plug, so I dont have to stock 2 types of plugs at a race when running my other car.

I had a discussion with Phil Trotta in New York about running this motor as Spec at our track. He and others already purchased this motor as they are planning to join the class.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Restrictors

Originally Posted by howardcano
How about this: 3 port has no carb restriction (anything up to 9mm may be used); more than 3 ports runs a 7mm carb restrictor. Fiddle with the numbers as appropriate to give a slight edge to the 3 port.

Edit: Way back when, ROAR had a restrictor written into the rules. If I recall correctly, it was really small (5mm?). The power was just about right when the traction went away in the heat of the day in Las Vegas.
Since my only experience with restrictors has been with Veco McCoys and K&B 3.5's, I'm not sure how the "equivalency" will work out. I think Lon told me he was using a 5.4mm restrictor and apparently it did not hurt the top speed of the Kangaroo.

Just saying it may be a bit more complicated than it first appears...

SuperStock was my favorite! In the MWS we used .100 or .125 flat restrictor buttons not "venturi" shaped AND No Nitro Fuel!!! Engines would hardly start at the optimum needle valve settings! You really had to let them warm up!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrHistory
All I can say is the 5 port turbo plug Nova I ran was great (I used the 7mm restrictor), its $199, and unlike the Basic Competition 3port version ($169), it comes with a better/stronger conrod, which makes its a better deal and more durable, and it includes 4 restrictor sizes in the box. Also, it has the turbo plug, so I dont have to stock 2 types of plugs at a race when running my other car.
Due to noise restrictions the Novarossi 5 port basic motor is the clubmotor at my club. (together with Hypex low noise set). It has been tested very thoroughly in the 4wd class and it works very well. Many are impressed by it after getting over the initial hesitation of running a fixed club motor. The consensus from all is that it is a great "budget" motor and makes for great racing. As far as I have heard they check 3 motors after the race and it doesn't take long to do the check. They check the parts from that dissasembled motor against correct parts so checking is very easy.

I have the combo in my gt due but can't give any comments on it in a pan as I haven't driven it yet due to personal things that got in the way this year.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 08-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info. What is the "combo" for this motor? I haven't seen it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default MOTOR UP or MOTOR DOWN

If you're thinking about one of these cars but live in fear of being out motored, you haven't been paying attention! This is NOT 4wd! The concept that a hotter motored pan car is a better pan car just hasn't happened. Floating around is a thought that we'll take action if this becomes a problem. So get your hot motor and try to kill the class, this class will kill you first. I would suggest that our New York friends don't get to rapped up in too many rules as that's no fun, it's the racing that's fun!

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrHistory

I had a discussion with Phil Trotta in New York about running this motor as Spec at our track. He and others already purchased this motor as they are planning to join the class.

Shoot me a part number on the 5 port someone or a link please. Thanks.

Is it this one? http://www.novarossi.com/2012/index....ad/n21-5t.html

Jeff

Last edited by jeff whiting; 08-28-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Who sells the $199 Novarossi?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Shoot me a part number on the 5 port someone or a link please. Thanks.

Jeff
CHEATER!! LOL!!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
CHEATER!! LOL!!
I meant 2 port motor. Yeah 2 port.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Default Novarossi Club Motor

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Due to noise restrictions the Novarossi 5 port basic motor is the clubmotor at my club. (together with Hypex low noise set). It has been tested very thoroughly in the 4wd class and it works very well. Many are impressed by it after getting over the initial hesitation of running a fixed club motor. The consensus from all is that it is a great "budget" motor and makes for great racing. As far as I have heard they check 3 motors after the race and it doesn't take long to do the check. They check the parts from that dissasembled motor against correct parts so checking is very easy.

I have the combo in my gt due but can't give any comments on it in a pan as I haven't driven it yet due to personal things that got in the way this year.
What is the "Hypex" low noise set? I recall there was a bit of concern at the Toledo track this spring.

Thanks,
Ned
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Jeff

Nice meeting you at the GLC! It was great racing with Loran, she was drove really well all week. I should have the motors on my site within a week. If you need one right away please send a pm. I am finishing up my site right now.
Thanks, Jason

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
I meant 2 port motor. Yeah 2 port.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Default Less is better?

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
If you're thinking about one of these cars but live in fear of being out motored, you haven't been paying attention! This is NOT 4wd! The concept that a hotter motored pan car is a better pan car just hasn't happened. Floating around is a thought that we'll take action if this becomes a problem. So get your hot motor and try to kill the class, this class will kill you first. I would suggest that our New York friends don't get to rapped up in too many rules as that's no fun, it's the racing that's fun!

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Lon you gotta start watching TV!

Everybody knows that faster is always better!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R-rtWPyJY

Anything else defies logic!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
If the direction is to head toward motor / power control make it simple - restrict carb inlet - Nova has restrictors listed all the way down to 5.4mm , Pipe restrictions work also but with nothing commercially available probably not a good direction to go. Trying to count ports , check sleeve timing , check crank diameter , crank timing etc. means opening motors up and that will collapse under it's own weight just like the well intentioned 1/10th motor rules did.
+1! These motors are basically air pumps, and you can run as many ports as you want but if you limit what goes thru the carb the rest of it means nothing. After driving the car once it was very evident that this is a traction limited class - too much motor will only slow you down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.