R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #286
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Did you come across shims or something else in the box to set ride height?

Could any french drivers/manufacturers conclude how they designed the cars to set ride height? Seems trivial but it bugs me that there is nothing mentioning ride height adjustments?
Hello 2wdrive,

some cars are adjustable, but for me, ride height is fixed, my car is a BRX and my previous car was a Monaco Model and it was the same. I think, in general most drivers play with diameter of front tyres, knowing that according to front tyres shore used for the classics (46 and more) wear is not important for a 30 minutes run and near to nothing for a 5 minutes run.

Hope to be clear enough, but what I say is true for cars such as BRX and Monaco Model.

I prefer DXF team answers for the DXF for example.

Last edited by webclassic; 11-26-2009 at 04:12 AM.
webclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #287
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by webclassic View Post
Hello 2wdrive,

some cars are adjustable, but for me, ride height is fixed, my car is a BRX and my previous car was a Monaco Model and it was the same. I think, in general most drivers play with diameter of front tyres, knowing that according to front tyres shore used for the classics (46 and more) wear is not important for a 30 minutes run and near to nothing for a 5 minutes run.

Hope to be clear enough, but what I say is true for cars such as BRX and Monaco Model.

I prefer DXF team answer for the DXF for example.
Hello,

It's possible to adjust the height of front axle on the DXF only. There is 2 interchangeable washers (thickness 1.5 mm). Normally always we mount it.

About tyres, i confirm what write "webclassic" : the diameter isn't so important. You can ride with very low tyres in qualifications, and middle during final. The tyre's wear is small and you can do some races with the same wheels, especially with the front.
The rate between front/rear tyre diameter isn't also important than a 4x4 car.
Sometime after races, i pick-up inside the garbage some tyres from the 4x4, which are suitable for training or qualifications
so economic !!!!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #288
Tech Master

So what ride height does the car have with new tires? And what is a normal tire wear like? Is it half a milimeter per race or 1mm per race for instance?

What do you do with tires that still have good foam on them but are not useble anymore as the chassis would be too low to the ground when using them?

Just curious as i am used to set ride height with my 1/10 235mm pancar and can use a lot of the foamtire while keeping the same ride height.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #289
Tech Adept

Quote:
So what ride height does the car have with new tires? And what is a normal tire wear like? Is it half a milimeter per race or 1mm per race for instance?

What do you do with tires that still have good foam on them but are not useble anymore as the chassis would be too low to the ground when using them?

Just curious as i am used to set ride height with my 1/10 235mm pancar and can use a lot of the foamtire while keeping the same ride height.
I plan on making some simple spacers for the buckheads to adjust the ride height.

Dale
djmachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #290
Tech Master

yeah that should work ok. Don't know exactly if the belt to the motor will get tighter or loose while raising or lowering the bulkheads but it is worth to try out.

That way you can also play with the chassis to rake it forwards for more or less steering. Something to play with anyway....

As you are mentioning tire diameter, is rollout a factor in 1/8 pancars? i.e. smaller tires accelerate faster but have less topspeed then bigger tires and vice versa? So to keep the same speed for a specific track you have to change pinions/spurs depending on the diameter of the tire? or is that not really needed when using nitro engines?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #291
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am interested in using a modern one speed clutch and modern wheels on an old associated rc300. what clutches are being used on the dxf and other cars? and are there modern pre mounted foam wheels made for old cars? also, is there any adapter solution being used to retrofit modern wheels?

thanks
MrSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #292
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow View Post
i am interested in using a modern one speed clutch and modern wheels on an old associated rc300. what clutches are being used on the dxf and other cars? and are there modern pre mounted foam wheels made for old cars? also, is there any adapter solution being used to retrofit modern wheels?

thanks
Hello,

We use normal clutch 20T (and 19T for short track). One of the problem of pan car is that we don't have 2 speeds. So the engine should have more torque, this is the reason NOVA or RB have developed specific motors for us.
We used centax or specific clutch system with 4 shoes and central springs to modify easily the setup.

We don't have any adaptor for old wheels. Now there is a woldwide standard with MUGEN wheels (the new Serpent std is the same than Mugen)
You need to make your own adaptor.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:48 AM   #293
Tech Master

Could you maybe give some brands and types of motos that are being used often in races? For instance wich motors from nova or RB would be used for this class?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #294
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Could you maybe give some brands and types of motos that are being used often in races? For instance wich motors from nova or RB would be used for this class?
Hi,

here are few links to engines' manufacturers dedicated for our class :

rbproducts.com/mainEn.php?part=Products&AR_Stat04=RB%20CONCEPT&GP roduit=01009-CLASSICO9

novarossi.it/eng/products/engines/nova/basic-sport-competition/overview.php?name=N21-5T&brand=nova

novarossi.it/eng/products/engines/nova/basic-sport-competition/overview.php?name=N21-7T&brand=nova

mantuamodel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60p s-per-automodelli&catid=54:motori-automodelli&Itemid=90

osengines.com/engines/osmg2072.htm

Sorry, but as a rookie on this site I'm not allowed to submit complete links, so just add what you know before each link.

Maybe there are others, but these engines are really insteresting in term of quality price rate.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #295
Tech Master

thanks, i looked into it but it seems those engines have more then 3 ports? Are there different rules in France about how many ports an engine can have? as there has been discussions on here about 3 ports max?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #296
Tech Initiate

Quote:
thanks, i looked into it but it seems those engines have more then 3 ports? Are there different rules in France about how many ports an engine can have? as there has been discussions on here about 3 ports max?
At the moment, no rules about engines, the rule for our classic cars are the same as for 4x4. 3 ports is native of the discussion in the US on this post.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #297
Tech Master

ah ok, thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #298
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dale, check your email. I need the OD of the flywheel in mm's.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #300
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXF french team View Post
Hello,

We use normal clutch 20T (and 19T for short track). One of the problem of pan car is that we don't have 2 speeds. So the engine should have more torque, this is the reason NOVA or RB have developed specific motors for us.
We used centax or specific clutch system with 4 shoes and central springs to modify easily the setup.

can someone please post links or exact clutch model# or brand for a good clutch to use for a home build 2wd classic?

also, does anyone know of modern diffs that can be put in old no diff cars like RC200 and others?

thanks
MrSlow is offline   Reply With Quote