Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by djmachinist
Rick,
By 1981 you were running an associated RC300BD as I recall. I always wanted to ask you why you switched to the Associated car from your
beautiful scratch machined power pod car. Was the Associated that much
better handling car?

Dale Jones
Great memory Dale You are correct regarding 1981 and the RC300BD (in fact sumer 1981 started 2wd suspension development )and the machined power pod car (actually still have the car and intend to restore or donate to the museum some day). The reason I switched was it ran better than it ever had at the 1977 world's and I got beat by a herd of Associated RC100's and clones and figured the handwriting was on the wall.

Last edited by Rick Davis; 07-17-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Gee Ned I think you confused him with the picture - he thought it was the young you with a mustache Just a clarification for all the picture is Art Carbonell holding the 1981 Worlds winning car , he won with great driving and race strategy but the handwriting was already on the wall , watching how well the heavy suspension cars cars matched up against our pan cars even on the glass smooth surface - it was my last race with a pan car !!! and if we'd been paying more attention Kondo's performance with the early pan/chain drive 4wd Kyosho was amazing but he broke every qualifier.
I have dim memories of this as well, I think I was in my third or fourth year at that point and hadn't left Superstock yet. Didn't move to Open until sometime in '82 when we got a package from Delta with this crazy thing that had shocks and an engine at a 10 degree tilt to the spur.

Y'all talking about Art and Delta reminds me of a convo I had with Art last year, and it's still gnawing at me. I was really proud that Delta gave me a ride...woo...this meant I got to go out and get knocked over backstretch walls by Rick and Art and Jack and Bruce and God knows how many others. Hell of a learning curve, I might say. But Art won a lot of races for Delta, won a World, the ultimate in bragging rights...and doesn't own a Delta today. Not even the car he won the World with. In Navy parlance, we would consider that a WTF moment.

I left racing in late '85 and wasn't around during the demise of every American manufacturer, including Delta. I do not know the details of Art leaving Delta, and I haven't asked Art since I don't want to pry. But it irks me, more than a little, that he doesn't have a Delta on the shelf, and especially that he doesn't have a SuperJ.

So here's a question for you Rick (and others).....I've got a few of the things laying around. I've been contemplating putting one together to give to Art. Problem is, would he want one, or is there some bad blood/memories existing that he wouldn't? I can't ask the man...I have his email and all, but giving it as a present, I'd rather it be a surprise (and I'm confident he doesn't read this thread, in case anyone was thinking that.) May sound silly, thinking I'd offend the man with a gift, but I just don't know. What're your thoughts....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hmmm

Two things of interest:

1. I have a design flaw. Yes, loctite works when applied, but I still ate a spur...I suspect the flex allowed too much gap between spur and pinion. I'll have that issue fixed before the next club race.

2. Not giving up all the details now, but Tom came up with a heck of an idea for a diff. We have a commercially availible gear diff which we know to be proven and solid. It's relatively cheap (less than 40 bucks.) It's readily availible (at least four manufacturers). And we believe we can retrofit it to fit a SuperJ or 300. It'll require redesign of the rear axle to accept it, but that also means being able to run conventional rims/tires.

My thinking is not only would it work nicely in a vintage car, but it'll also fit very nicely in the Edam prototype. Which means it'd also fit in the Moto's and such. I'll try to have a SuperJ fitted by GLC time, it'll be Tom's backup car in case the GT is still having probs.

By the way, Mr. History....I've got several Futaras sitting in boxes, if you're short of something to make them work, give me a yell.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
By the way, Mr. History....I've got several Futaras sitting in boxes, if you're short of something to make them work, give me a yell.
......."Several"?...NIB???..........Are you the squirrel of RC cars???...You have 50 of everything?????
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Great memory Dale You are correct regarding 1981 and the RC300BD (in fact sumer 1981 started 2wd suspension development )and the machined power pod car (actually still have the car and intend to restore or donate to the museum some day). The reason I switched was it ran better than it ever had at the 1977 world's and I got beat by a herd of Associated RC100's and clones and figured the handwriting was on the wall.
Yeah, I was at the 77 worlds at Thorpe's track. I did not drive, but I was pitting for M. Queller and Steve Sanders. The Associated drivers pretty much dominated the Main. They also introduced the RPM Disc brake at that race. I
remember us Delta guys trying to mount the RPM brake on the JL. The Associated cars were wicked fast on that track and We also discovered the molded front rubber the Associated guys were running although the molded
tires had been offered by Associated for years, we just never tried them.

I hope you do restore your Power Pod car, It was a piece of art. Do I remember you using a few Delta pieces such as the Delta Clutch?

Dale
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by djmachinist
Yeah, I was at the 77 worlds at Thorpe's track. I did not drive, but I was pitting for M. Queller and Steve Sanders. The Associated drivers pretty much dominated the Main. They also introduced the RPM Disc brake at that race. I
remember us Delta guys trying to mount the RPM brake on the JL. The Associated cars were wicked fast on that track and We also discovered the molded front rubber the Associated guys were running although the molded
tires had been offered by Associated for years, we just never tried them.

I hope you do restore your Power Pod car, It was a piece of art. Do I remember you using a few Delta pieces such as the Delta Clutch?

Dale
Actually the clutch was a Delta type but smaller with Rulon shoes ala Marker which I remember well because when I was testing the first one on a electric motor a shoe got loose and flew in my eye causing a trip to the opthamologist.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default Uh.....

Originally Posted by Taylorm
......."Several"?...NIB???..........Are you the squirrel of RC cars???...You have 50 of everything?????
One of my worst habits in life is a failure to get rid of stuff. Like the big Goldwing I've been meaning to sell because I can't ride it anymore. Engines and transmissions out of cars and trucks. And yeah, a ton of RC stuff. I suspect it will only get worse with age.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

One of my worst habits in life is a failure to get rid of stuff. Like the big Goldwing I've been meaning to sell because I can't ride it anymore. Engines and transmissions out of cars and trucks. And yeah, a ton of RC stuff. I suspect it will only get worse with age.
.... Coming soon to cable tv... Phil Cring on the show
"Hoarders"... Except instead of cockroaches and garbage
in his kitchen... It's bown up RC engines and 40
year old chassis....😜
Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey!

.... Coming soon to cable tv... Phil Cring on the show
"Hoarders"... Except instead of cockroaches and garbage
in his kitchen... It's bown up RC engines and 40
year old chassis....��
Now that's just depressing.

Yes, it's true I do have a P2 sitting on the credenza. And three Elfin bodies in a box I haven't even opened yet next to the front door. And a P4 on the kitchen table. Two sets of tires next to my elbow here on the desk. Several boxes of P2/P4 parts in the hallway. But at least I can still maneuver about downstairs, as opposed to UPSTAIRS, where the boxes of all the other crap are.....

I'm still hoping two guys show up at the GLC that I've talked to that are interested in cleaning me out of all my old stuff. It's been so long since I've seen the carpet that I'm not entirely sure what color it is anymore....
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default TREASURES !

Now that's just depressing.

Yes, it's true I do have a P2 sitting on the credenza. And three Elfin bodies in a box I haven't even opened yet next to the front door. And a P4 on the kitchen table. Two sets of tires next to my elbow here on the desk. Several boxes of P2/P4 parts in the hallway. But at least I can still maneuver about downstairs, as opposed to UPSTAIRS, where the boxes of all the other crap are.....

I'm still hoping two guys show up at the GLC that I've talked to that are interested in cleaning me out of all my old stuff. It's been so long since I've seen the carpet that I'm not entirely sure what color it is anymore....
All this RC car stuff is great, however, when I met your daughter, I saw one of your real treasures. She appears to be a very cool young lady. As life goes on Phil, I hope you have the wisdom to let her win more then her share of your mind battles.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
All this RC car stuff is great, however, when I met your daughter, I saw one of your real treasures. She appears to be a very cool young lady. As life goes on Phil, I hope you have the wisdom to let her win more then her share of your mind battles.
Yeah. Right. She's about as liberal as I am conservative, and she's twice as stubborn as her mother ever was. There are days I wonder what I was thinking when I encouraged her to speak her mind and stand her ground when she thought she was right. With that said, she's a good kid....but I have to confess I'm looking forward to the day when she has kids of her own. I will cheerfully babysit, load 'em up on sugar and caffeine till they are just a blur, then send 'em home. Sweet, sweet revenge.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah. Right. She's about as liberal as I am conservative, and she's twice as stubborn as her mother ever was. There are days I wonder what I was thinking when I encouraged her to speak her mind and stand her ground when she thought she was right. With that said, she's a good kid....but I have to confess I'm looking forward to the day when she has kids of her own. I will cheerfully babysit, load 'em up on sugar and caffeine till they are just a blur, then send 'em home. Sweet, sweet revenge.
we did the same thing with my niece, but it was "have all the plums you want" before the 2 hr ride home !!!. looking for a 12 e too restore
Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default Uh oh

I recently got an email from Ted Hammer. Seems he's in Puerto Rico, got mugged, lost his passport, and desperately needs money to get back home. Hmm. Aside from the fact I don't see Ted racing in Puerto Rico, I couldn't see me as a first call for help, suspect he has family and all....

Then, can you believe it, I got a very similar email from Rick Davis. See, there must have been a race after all, and the same schmuck that robbed Ted got Rick too. Damn.

Wait, it gets worse...got an email from Art Carbonell, and there must be a crime spree going on down there since he too got mugged, lost his passport, etc.

I bet the next email I get is from myself. I'll have been mugged (see, there IS a crime spree) and lost my passport (which I don't have in the first place) and also need help getting home. I'm notoriously bad about paying myself back, so I might just tell myself that I'm broke and can't help at present.

(Yes, I suspect another email virus is making the rounds.)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

I recently got an email from Ted Hammer. Seems he's in Puerto Rico, got mugged, lost his passport, and desperately needs money to get back home. Hmm. Aside from the fact I don't see Ted racing in Puerto Rico, I couldn't see me as a first call for help, suspect he has family and all....

Then, can you believe it, I got a very similar email from Rick Davis. See, there must have been a race after all, and the same schmuck that robbed Ted got Rick too. Damn.

Wait, it gets worse...got an email from Art Carbonell, and there must be a crime spree going on down there since he too got mugged, lost his passport, etc.

I bet the next email I get is from myself. I'll have been mugged (see, there IS a crime spree) and lost my passport (which I don't have in the first place) and also need help getting home. I'm notoriously bad about paying myself back, so I might just tell myself that I'm broke and can't help at present.

(Yes, I suspect another email virus is making the rounds.)
..I got the help emails also..............hope Ted gets out of the Turkish prison so he can run the races Sunday......
Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

..I got the help emails also..............hope Ted gets out of the Turkish prison so he can run the races Sunday......
i think your more a target of the "pole cutters"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.