Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Portage showed us shorter mains due to the weather delay, but we had some pretty fine runs by some of our Toledo guys and Phil was one of them. He looked good (well his performance looked good), he in fact refused to pose for pictures at awards time. Come on Phil, get with the program! Anyhow, it was fun to see him and his car doing so well! Well done!

John Strausbaugh TQed and won running a 3-port powered Motonica while my Grandson, Lon III running real strong also in 3-port Motonica took 3rd after a long repair job on his body.

What about me? you ask. I had my head up my butt all weekend. Debugging a brand new car on a track, like Portage has, is a REALLY BAD IDEA!

BEST OF LUCK! to the New York boys on their pan class. I'd love to come over there sometime! But not to debug a new car!
Debugging...ha! That's all we were doing, I just had better luck, is all. And yeah, I don't do pictures, I did one for Mike Myers since I owed him one but that's about it. I don't need photographic evidence of how I look and feel after a long day, nor does anyone else, and it's kindness to the camera that I avoid such things. I know you don't think that diff will fit the Edam, but I guarantee it will with minor changes, if any, and I'll definitely have that prototype ready for the GLC. I have a little wrenching to do on the current pan to get it ready for this weekend...get your car fixed so we can have a proper rematch! I'd say "let the better man win" but that'd hardly be fair to you, and I know I should be more respectful of my elders...seeing how you've been around since the Pony Express, you qualify for that....
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds like a pretty good race all in all. I am sorry we missed it. We just had too many things going on to get away. Is everyone running a 3 port motor? I looked at the Max Power web site and the Off-Road Max motor Foster ran in Toledo is a 5 port motor. It did not seem overly fast, in fact it has a very smooth power band but do I need to get a 3 port for it? How are the WRC cars? I like this DFX of Foster's but parts seem to be hard to come by. I need a French Connection I guess...ha

Jeff
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default No!

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Sounds like a pretty good race all in all. I am sorry we missed it. We just had too many things going on to get away. Is everyone running a 3 port motor? I looked at the Max Power web site and the Off-Road Max motor Foster ran in Toledo is a 5 port motor. It did not seem overly fast, in fact it has a very smooth power band but do I need to get a 3 port for it? How are the WRC cars? I like this DFX of Foster's but parts seem to be hard to come by. I need a French Connection I guess...ha

Jeff
The 3-ports we got from Garen are just a great deal and came with his combo deals. So far the motor has little to do with out come, it appears that the driver is the real key. At Portage there were several hotter motors running, yet the only thing I herd was one car was way faster. It was John running a 3-port. My car was handed to him when we got there, as stock as can be. Don't worry about motors yet but if you buy a new one, you might check with Garen.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 3-ports we got from Garen are just a great deal and came with his combo deals. So far the motor has little to do with out come, it appears that the driver is the real key. At Portage there were several hotter motors running, yet the only thing I herd was one car was way faster. It was John running a 3-port. My car was handed to him when we got there, as stock as can be. Don't worry about motors yet but if you buy a new one, you might check with Garen.
garen seems hard too find again, on a related note looks like the famous rc 10 is being reissued just modified for lippos. how bout the rc300??. anyone have left over ball diff pulleys?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Put a bag over your head! There was a F1 driver with major burns to his head and face, yet he posed for pictures. You be little the whole awards thing by not taking part, grow up!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Default He's out there

Originally Posted by 5italkart
garen seems hard too find again, on a related note looks like the famous rc 10 is being reissued just modified for lippos. how bout the rc300??. anyone have left over ball diff pulleys?
Joe, I've got an order on the way. Perhaps we're spending to much time looking backwards while there some fine racing to be had. This last weekend Phil did a great job of showing how anyone can put together car and compete, hopefully we'll see more of this as it gives this class some real class. However, most should grab a current kit any way they can, and come race.

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Got it. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Default Meh

Put a bag over your head! There was a F1 driver with major burns to his head and face, yet he posed for pictures. You be little the whole awards thing by not taking part, grow up!
Grow up? I'm too old to grow up!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Grow up? I'm too old to grow up!
then grow out
Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

One other thing I like about this class is, there is still innovation/variety going on. The DFX with its crazy low profile steering servo mount to some of the ingenuous flex systems to the scratch built stuff. I’m not knocking any other classes, I just think it’s interesting see different designs.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Joe, I've got an order on the way. Perhaps we're spending to much time looking backwards while there some fine racing to be had. This last weekend Phil did a great job of showing how anyone can put together car and compete, hopefully we'll see more of this as it gives this class some real class. However, most should grab a current kit any way they can, and come race.

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
i agree just couldn't resist putting that in. i tried garen no response. i was under the impression that the factory was sort of on hold for now
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Looks like the planets will finally align for me this week!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
I've been a knuckle dragger my whole life, it's a little late to enter "class" into my vocabulary.

Discovered that the clutch did not in fact go out in the car...somebodies failure to loctite the four screws holding the engine to the mounts resulting in two screws missing and the other two loose caused the gear to get eaten with half a lap to go. Oops.

As it stands, we're intending to make this weekends club race. But we're going to change things up...I need another perspective on the pan, limitations and so forth, so Tom will be piloting it and I'll run his GT plus get a lap or two in with the Edam. And I'll be looking for a victim to run the prototype the following club race...I know enough to know I need input on making this thing better. I'm still not entirely happy with the gear combo thus far, think it winds out on the backstretch far too soon, but I also think the handling can't be improved on much...and I'm probably wrong, hence the need for input.

I had appointments this week so I'll not be making any progress on the Edam 2wd till sometime next week at best. I was thinking about making a whole new servo tray for it, but looking at it, it seems to me it'd be easier just to drop the front wheel drive assembly and tie my front end into it, possibly with slightly longer bulkheads. That said, the Edam chassis is rather stiff, so I've got two options...I can either punch one out of the G10 to try and get some flex, or modify the front end on a sort of pivot a/la Moto.

Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Default Great News

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Looks like the planets will finally align for me this week!
Looking forward to seeing you! How's the car?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Discovered that the clutch did not in fact go out in the car...somebodies failure to loctite the four screws holding the engine to the mounts resulting in two screws missing and the other two loose caused the gear to get eaten with half a lap to go. Oops.

I had appointments this week so I'll not be making any progress on the Edam 2wd till sometime next week at best. I was thinking about making a whole new servo tray for it, but looking at it, it seems to me it'd be easier just to drop the front wheel drive assembly and tie my front end into it, possibly with slightly longer bulkheads. That said, the Edam chassis is rather stiff, so I've got two options...I can either punch one out of the G10 to try and get some flex, or modify the front end on a sort of pivot a/la Moto.

Thoughts?
g 10 would give you the flex but floating one of yours would be faster and allow you to adjust tweak easier IMO but hey what do I know i run a GT

and yes i will be club running my edam this weekend in portage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.