European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Ok I gues that's that then..

The Forfaster Z1 won the 2nd national in France last weekend with 60+ drivers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rU3uRu_Kuu8
Dope!
I love European and Japanese tracks. Bombing around those sweepers. There's not one straight line. In the U.S. we build inside a box.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Dope!
I love European and Japanese tracks. Bombing around those sweepers. There's not one straight line. In the U.S. we build inside a box.
I've driven that track many times (it's included with the base tracks in VRC Pro).
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Really? I had the old VRC. How do you like the current version?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Really? I had the old VRC. How do you like the current version?
I have had both. I liked the old version because it could be ran off line. When I updated to pro, I lost that ability.

I would probably love Pro if I had a more up to date desktop. My old P4 machine, even loaded up with memory, just isn't enough machine to use the graphics and multi player features.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

For the Motonica guys who need parts, in a pinch this website seems to have a full range in stock. Perhaps a batch order would work to save on shipping.

The link below is the first page of the parts list. Its a bit confusing because bottom three rows show unrelated parts. But above that is a button for the next pages.

http://www.modelpro.fr/c-22_46_177-motonica.html?page=1
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hey

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Phil,
WHere have you been???? Dick in Kansas needs your address to get your bodies to you!!! We have both tried to get in touch with you.

Please let me know.

PS: Is there a parts' list for the Edam on line? I'm thinking of making a car!! you and Matt are having too much fun!!!

Ned
I've been in two modes lately, either busy as hell or laid up recovering from whatever malady has beset me...like today for instance. Oh well. Fire me another email and I'll send you an address.

Buying parts may not be such a great idea. The problem is, depending on how much you need, it may be more economical to buy an entire kit vs. just the parts. For example, the most expensive pieces are the axle shafts and quick release levers. This is probably because these pieces never wear out and they are the most solid of the pieces.

I used a Kyosho GT driveline because thru Ebay I can get those parts cheap. I used the forward and rear body mounts for a GT for the same reason, I think an entire body mounting kit is about 20 bucks fore and aft.

I'm using the Edam 3 shoe clutch, I just plan to remove a pinion depending on what gear for what track I need, but I can get those all day for about 20 bucks from the pinch out. Flywheel and everything...doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Provided I can run this sunday, I'll get a shakedown in and see just what the car does. I'm giving up some on weight obviously..lots of too thick aluminum which will have to be lightened, but until I wreck it a few times and see what the fragile pieces are, I'm not sure what to lighten.

Hubs, pins, bearings and so forth I did thru Edam and they don't cost much either. Ballpark I've got around 200 bucks in the thing not including radio gear and engine. I was nearly inclined to go the same route as Matt but Tom's GT proved to be indestructible as per the driveline, we're familiar with setup, and cost-wise it just made sense.

On another note, Edam is in the process of designing a pan car along the lines of a Motonica build (rear belt setup,) the remainder of the rear end with no suspension but based off their current 4wd RTR (much thicker chassis and the three shoe clutch.) I may pass along my idea for the front end setup to them and ask that they incorporate that into their build (durability and cost) but the various options are:

1. Buy an existing kit. I hear Motonica may/may not be dropping the ball. As Rick pointed out, we need a kit that newbies can buy and go with, and I'm hoping for an Edam product, RTR that can be upgraded, but about 300 bucks including engine and cheapo radio gear, just need fuel and igniter. If they will do this, I will order some made, import them, and then hope we find buyers. Another advantage to that route is the upgrade kits for tweaking from a newbie setup to a pro setup.

2. Rebuild/refit vintage class with upgrades and sell those as kits. I plan to do that regardless, mostly because I'm an old Delta fan. Cost would be a tad higher per unit (ballpark of 500 per) but nearly indestructible.

3. Build our own. I am a crappy machinist but I did have fun building the thing...I like my build because it's not tethered to any manufacturer, lots of different parts could be used (Serpent, Mugen or Kyosho front end steering, Kyosho, Ofna or Serpent driveline) and leave it up to the racer as to what they want to use. If our design happens to work well, I plan to outsource the building of kits to a local machining company (people may appreciate slightly more accurate fit, holes drilled in the right places, etc.) and offer those for sale.

I'd encourage anyone to go whatever route suits their needs and wallet the best. As for me, whatever direction I go in, I want the most durable thing possible since newbies wreck a lot and it's hard enough keeping the discouraged newbie around when he's spending all his time wrenching, let alone the cost of replacement parts, especially when it's parts that should have been more durable to begin with. And as we all know, our 4wd builds are not newbie friendly....but I did actually get the thing built, so whether it does well or not, I feel pretty good about it!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I've been in two modes lately, either busy as hell or laid up recovering from whatever malady has beset me...like today for instance. Oh well. Fire me another email and I'll send you an address...

...I'd encourage anyone to go whatever route suits their needs and wallet the best. As for me, whatever direction I go in, I want the most durable thing possible since newbies wreck a lot and it's hard enough keeping the discouraged newbie around when he's spending all his time wrenching, let alone the cost of replacement parts, especially when it's parts that should have been more durable to begin with. And as we all know, our 4wd builds are not newbie friendly....but I did actually get the thing built, so whether it does well or not, I feel pretty good about it!
Phil (or anyone else who can), here's a suggestion. take a look at the most often broken part of the P8C. The front caster blocks (I'll bet I went through 8-9 of them last year), One of the guys has already made a stiffener for the blocks, why not aluminum blocks themselves?

It'd make the Moto guys really happy...
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Phil (or anyone else who can), here's a suggestion. take a look at the most often broken part of the P8C. The front caster blocks (I'll bet I went through 8-9 of them last year), One of the guys has already made a stiffener for the blocks, why not aluminum blocks themselves?

...farmer... Are you talking
about the upright the axle ride in or the pieces
the pivot balls screw into???... Some if the guys
(Joe p) had a carbon tube that was inserted
between the 2 front haves to beef them up... Lon sr
did also if I remember correctly...a tough front
end would be great.... I think Phil's car will
take any hit anyone can give it.....I'm sure ill
be crash testing mine this Sunday also...
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

If you've got a spare caster block, let me have it and I'll see what I can make. It could scarcely be more difficult than some of the other pieces I made. I honestly don't know why there aren't more aluminum parts...the cost of aluminum isn't squat, and people with cnc machines could do them rather easily, whereas I'm using a 3 in 1 machine with dubious accuracy issues, used by a man with failing eyesight and shaky hands....
Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
If you've got a spare caster block, let me have it and I'll see what I can make. It could scarcely be more difficult than some of the other pieces I made. I honestly don't know why there aren't more aluminum parts...the cost of aluminum isn't squat, and people with cnc machines could do them rather easily, whereas I'm using a 3 in 1 machine with dubious accuracy issues, used by a man with failing eyesight and shaky hands....
I'll try to put one in your hands Sunday.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[QUOTE=hitcharide1;12087768]I've been in two modes lately, either busy as hell or laid up recovering from whatever malady has beset me...like today for instance. Oh well. Fire me another email and I'll send you an address.

Buying parts may not be such a great idea. The problem is, depending on how much you need, it may be more economical to buy an entire kit vs. just the parts. For example, the most expensive pieces are the axle shafts and quick release levers. This is probably because these pieces never wear out and they are the most solid of the pieces.

Phil,
Hope you get feeling better, tough to fight stuff all the time....
I have your address from Matt. He saw my post asking you for it and sent it late last night. You should get you bodies next week. Hope you are happy with them! I think everybody thought they were good.

As far as my build, I just want a few parts related to the front and rear hubs. Not using the quick release stuff, waste of time, imo. I found a parts list for the Edam and I'll figure out what I want and you can get me a price.

Ned
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

I'll try to put one in your hands Sunday.
I have looked into the front issues. I made a solid rod that fills the front arm's. the blocks may take a bit more work most likely good old nylon. also working on bolt on 300 upgrades. my thinking is probably many cars laying around that could be used. we may be late coming too this party compared too Europe.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

anyone know when the brx5 will be available?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Lon Sr.

Originally Posted by 5italkart
I have looked into the front issues. I made a solid rod that fills the front arm's. the blocks may take a bit more work most likely good old nylon. also working on bolt on 300 upgrades. my thinking is probably many cars laying around that could be used. we may be late coming too this party compared too Europe.
See what happened, Joe? We let Lon talk us out of the VIntage Pan cars and into the Motonica's and end up talking about 300's again....

Should have known

Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Not gonna be up tomorrow. The weather forecast is crap and I'm not moving very well (arthritis and balance issues.) Hope it doesn't rain on y'all....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.