R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #2461
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
......Your car looks great!!!! Can't wait until you test drive it and give us a review.
Thanks.... Build is going slower than I anticipated....
ill get there eventually....hopefully next build I have a mill
in the garage.... It will go way faster then...it's supposed to
be 54 degrees Saturday... Want to test run....we will see
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #2462
Tech Rookie

Ned and Taylor:

Thank you very much guys.

Some info about our veteran tour 2013 in Czech Republic
Our idea can be summarized in a few words:
fun, friendship, scale models and tribute of old rc 1/8 cars and real drivers from 60s, 70s and 80s, who have huge sideburns (like Jackie Stewart ) and big racing heart (like Gilles Villeneuve) :-)

Rules are very simple:
1/8 2WD chassis
engine max .21
bodies should reflect the real cars (F1, LeMans, Can-AM, Touring cars)

Photos are better, than words (please, apologize my CZenglish)
autorcolomouc.cz/category/18-ic-onroad (I cannot post url link)

Thanks for logos, i will send some pics, as Lola will be ready :-)
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-alji85.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-p6028771.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-p6028759.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-p6028772.jpg  
Sanwa M11 40FM

Last edited by dvondrakcz; 03-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
dvondrakcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #2463
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default That's my kind of series!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvondrakcz View Post
Ned and Taylor:

fun, friendship, scale models and tribute of old rc 1/8 cars and real drivers from 60s, 70s and 80s, which have huge sideburns (like Jackie Stewart ) and big racing heart (like Gilles Villeneuve) :-)

Rules are very simple:
1/8 2WD chassis
engine max .21

Photos is better, than words (please, apologize my CZenglish)

Thanks for logos, i send some pics, as Lola will be ready :-)
Great Series (Tour!) That is something I would really like to see and participate in. Most here are all about speed and really don't care to run realistic cars. Our classic pan class started with Sedan bodies but it was decided that they were too slow, didn't handle well, harder to cool engine, harder to fuel, etc. One racer (Das1/8Mopar) used an old Frisbee Can-Am body but most ran current "sports" cars (4wd type)
I'll post some pictures of my "projects" and some from my buddy in Kansas who is making some great bodies, mostly for show as they are fiberglass since we cannot figure out how to vacuum form 1/8 scale.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks,
Ned

Last edited by aarcobra; 03-08-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typos
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #2464
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvondrakcz View Post
Ned and Taylor:

fun, friendship, scale models and tribute of old rc 1/8 cars and real drivers from 60s, 70s and 80s, which have huge sideburns (like Jackie Stewart ) and big racing heart (like Gilles Villeneuve) :-)

Rules are very simple:
1/8 2WD chassis
engine max .21

Photos is better, than words (please, apologize my CZenglish)

Thanks for logos, i send some pics, as Lola will be ready :-)
that looks like great fun, we just need somone too make old scool decal kits. there must be some sort of scanning software that can help.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #2465
Tech Master

Default Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
that looks like great fun, we just need somone too make old scool decal kits. there must be some sort of scanning software that can help.
Hey Joe,
Hope you are beginning to thaw out up there in the North Country!!! Let me know what kind of stickers you are looking for, I may be able to help. The logos are not too hard, but I'm not sure how well the ones I can make will hold up. THe best way is to cover the decal with clear packing tape to fuel proof it good.

I know that it adds too much weight for the go-fast 4wd's but it's probably ok for pan cars!!?!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #2466
Tech Master

Default French Vintage Site (REAL Classics!)

This has to be the Mother Lode of scratch built stuff! I wish I had pics of the USA cars from this time period! Awesome Stuff!

http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CDgQ7gEwAA
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #2467
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Probably gonna regret this

First...no, no pics. Still working on it. Bah humbug.

Second....along with the P4 it looks like I got a complete set of instructions as well. With diagrams. And it's the prototype build as well. I know I've been contacted by a few guys in the past wanting a copy of that stuff, which I did not have until now. Just getting the word out, it'll be awhile till I can get copies made (I'm behind on everything, partially laid up and moving slower than normal) but I'll hook people up in the future provided they are PATIENT.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #2468
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

yes Phil ad me to the list<G> and i agree this weather don't help

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #2469
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Hey Joe,
Hope you are beginning to thaw out up there in the North Country!!! Let me know what kind of stickers you are looking for, I may be able to help. The logos are not too hard, but I'm not sure how well the ones I can make will hold up. THe best way is to cover the decal with clear packing tape to fuel proof it good.

I know that it adds too much weight for the go-fast 4wd's but it's probably ok for pan cars!!?!
yes well thawed, will let you know on the logos. i now have enough servos too get my fix in both classes, anyone have the schd. ?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #2470
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

So if one were inclined to build one of these from scratch. Where is a good place to start? Where do the front ends come from, same with the rear? Is there no rear suspension? I have my own CNC equipment so the chassis is no issue but for obvious reasons i dont have the time to create everything from scratch!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2471
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
So if one were inclined to build one of these from scratch. Where is a good place to start? Where do the front ends come from, same with the rear? Is there no rear suspension? I have my own CNC equipment so the chassis is no issue but for obvious reasons i dont have the time to create everything from scratch!
So here I am, sitting in my chair at an hour when I wish I were not...oh well.

Don't mind if the rest of us suddenly don't like you because you have a CNC machine and we don't (he said with bitter envy.)

The front end is no problem. You can do something like mine, or like Motonica's....or dupe the old Associated front end with upgrades, and so forth.

The rear is where the problem starts to kick in. No, there's no suspension, so you could do like most guys and either buy a contemporary belt drive setup or dupe a 4wd rear and SECURELY lock the suspension out so no one complains about that. Or, you could repro one of the classics....I'm still intending on repro'ing the Super J myself at some point this year, but Matt went with stuff he can get parts for and I did the same (as per diff and gears.)

My personal thought, so long as it's single speed and no suspension, go with it where you will. You may come up with an idea or a way of doing it we haven't that would help the rest of us. Matt has posted plenty of pics of his build, I've got one (ONE) pic of my front end posted....go with what makes sense to you and feels right, and have some fun with it. Then go out and break it (lol), then fix it and try again!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #2472
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
So here I am, sitting in my chair at an hour when I wish I were not...oh well.

Don't mind if the rest of us suddenly don't like you because you have a CNC machine and we don't (he said with bitter envy.)

The front end is no problem. You can do something like mine, or like Motonica's....or dupe the old Associated front end with upgrades, and so forth.

The rear is where the problem starts to kick in. No, there's no suspension, so you could do like most guys and either buy a contemporary belt drive setup or dupe a 4wd rear and SECURELY lock the suspension out so no one complains about that. Or, you could repro one of the classics....I'm still intending on repro'ing the Super J myself at some point this year, but Matt went with stuff he can get parts for and I did the same (as per diff and gears.)

My personal thought, so long as it's single speed and no suspension, go with it where you will. You may come up with an idea or a way of doing it we haven't that would help the rest of us. Matt has posted plenty of pics of his build, I've got one (ONE) pic of my front end posted....go with what makes sense to you and feels right, and have some fun with it. Then go out and break it (lol), then fix it and try again!
Thanx, well I am in Texas so there is no way in hell this class would ever take off!! it s is 4wd country around here!But i like to tinker with stuff so its just for fun! Has anyone suspended the rear like a current electric f1 with the engine on a pod with the rear? What i would like to know is for instance where can i buy a rear end in any form so i can cut down on time like the rear end off of a <insert ebay listing!!> Same with the front, keep in mind I have absolutely no idea what model of car has what on it so sourcing parts is going to be tough for me!
Off topic but some of my creations:

cantilever rear pan car suspension!

VIDEO:

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #2473
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
....I say the easiest would be to take a modern rear bulkhead...put a single spur on it like i did....(you'll
already have your brake setup)...hard mout your hubs also like mine....the only hard part is sourcing a good diff....I had the idea of taking an off road gear diff and grinding off the teeth...than adapt a modern rear pulley to said diff.....shold be easily done with access to a quality mill/lathe......you will have to space out the rear bulkheads though......as the off road gear diff will be much wider than a 4WD spool.....then to dogbones.......and on and on...its a viscious cycle...
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #2474
Tech Champion

I assume a rear spool doesnt work very well with 2wd?
Got a link to some good pix?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #2475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

it would be interesting if a group of us with the equipment could get together and do say one or 2 peices each for the total part of the car because it is easier to make say 5-10 of 2 parts than qty1 of 20 parts just sayin

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote