European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class >

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by azeroth
hmm i think (belt) it think like their rtr but upgradable would make for the best choice they could use alot of their current parts yes they would need a front end realistically in the rear could be triangulate arm that catches upper and lower hinge pins and still use current hubs shafts and adjusters jeeze phil stop making me think i have to many projects as it is LOL
Yeah, so do I and summer isn't even here yet. I though briefly about doing the same thing, just adaping a Razor2, making aluminum mounts for the rear and front to take out the suspension and locking in a gear, and it probably would have worked, but I wanted to build something a little different than what's out there today. I'll definitely lighten it up after I test and run it, but if it holds its own, I've got plans to make about 10 more of 'em...and then probably watch them collect dust...lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Less rule talk and more racing!

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
An INS box is a requirement for racing 1/8 here in the northeast was wondering if it was in the Midwest. Just don't want a surprise when I show up in Toledo.
I for one think that ROAR is doing very little to help 1/8th on road ( 2wd or 4wd), so if we step out of line, in the name of fun, who cares? I think the INS rule is for the super screaming motors needed in 4wd, thus we have not required it in a low powered pan car. The most common pan in Toledo is a Motonica P8C with the Motonica (Nova Rossi) 3-port and pipe that came with it. There are some 5-ports out there but it doesn't seem to matter. If you dig up an old pan car with any .21 motor, please come race with us. The focus in the pan class is fun! Most everyone seems to be on the same page as to what to bring to the race.(Phils 2speed, in line, rubber tired car being the farthest out). Old pan, new pan, or custom pan, bring it on! Look forward to racing you!

LETS RACE!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
I for one think that ROAR is doing very little to help 1/8th on road ( 2wd or 4wd), so if we step out of line, in the name of fun, who cares? I think the INS rule is for the super screaming motors needed in 4wd, thus we have not required it in a low powered pan car. The most common pan in Toledo is a Motonica P8C with the Motonica (Nova Rossi) 3-port and pipe that came with it. There are some 5-ports out there but it doesn't seem to matter. If you dig up an old pan car with any .21 motor, please come race with us. The focus in the pan class is fun! Most everyone seems to be on the same page as to what to bring to the race.(Phils 2speed, in line, rubber tired car being the farthest out). Old pan, new pan, or custom pan, bring it on! Look forward to racing you!

LETS RACE!!
I think you'll be suprized how much difference it makes even on your motors.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default Well

LETS RACE!!
I would have made it a single speed sole setup (say that four times real fast) but this way made more sense. All I have to do is lose a pinion to keep it single speed and not have to mess with the transmission, I get a faster gear change...and it was just as cheap to go that way as the other. And the Edam bell is a perfect mesh for the Kyosho gears (more stuff that makes me wonder if they aren't all made in the same shop.) Just for a heads up, I'm trying to locate some people from way back to see if they'd like to race again. I have a bunch of SuperJ's...it wouldn't take much to make them race ready. I'm looking for Don Shreve, Bob Leckron, Bruce Oakley and Jack Mueller to name a few, see if I can get them to show up at the GLC for a vintage run.

As for the rubber tires...I figure I'll run them unless I start winning and no one else wants to run rubber, in which case I'll revert. Looking at it, I have serious doubts that rubber would work on a chassis with no camber/caster in the rear, but since all our cars have that feature, I think it's worth a shot (and the tires are CHEAP.) If they do work, I'd like to see others go that way. Nothing wrong with using leftovers from 4wd, that's the ultimate in cheap and makes excellent sense...but if the rubber tires grip decently and have low wear, not having to change tires on a regular basis would be nice too, not to mention the advantage of being able to mess around anywhere without tearing up far too expensive foam (made zero progress on that one this winter, between work, building a pan from scratch and lining up a Jag to restore, there is no time for anything.) And while I'm at it, Lon, if you know of anyone with vintage cars that need something to get trackside, send 'em my way, I'll donate till it hurts. I was able to hook Joe T. with a diff gear for his MRP last year and was happy to do it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

yea i think when i get some of these other fab jobs done and my mills and cd system get freed up i am gonna have to look at it all alittle closer
until then i will just get the rest of the nitro stuff ready to go have a 5th body mount for the gt and finish painting half a dozen bodies 4w1/8 is ready and the 1/10 is together waiting for a base setup to put on
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hate to belabor a point, but it's what I do

Rules. Hmm.

We have the Roar rulebook which covers pan nicely, I think.

That said, we've also discussed how we'll have group decision on stuff that either falls outside of the rule book or that we simply don't like. And that seems fair. I have no idea what Roar does, the only time I hear from them is once a year when they want money.

But I also figure that Lon Sr., whether he wants it or not, has the basic oversight on this stuff. First, he's fielding what, three cars? Without those cars, pan would sort of be scarce. All I had to do was break out 30 year old stuff, he bought new stuff, and that's an investment to recognize. Second, it'll take not getting bogged down in rules to help pan thrive. A little room to breathe helps, and isn't too inconvenient given the fact we don't have tech except for the GLC. I don't see anyone severely motivated to win in pan either, it's more about the fun, so we don't have to worry too much about people trying to gain an unfair advantage.

I'll do the INS boxes (echh) because it IS in the rule book, and there is a valid point to not irritating our neighbors who live there. That said, I wouldn't DQ some guy with a 30 year old filter either.

All in all, I think we've handled every issue as it came up, people have had a chance to voice their concerns/opinions, and I may be overly optimistic, but I think the future looks bright for pan!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by azeroth
yea i think when i get some of these other fab jobs done and my mills and cd system get freed up i am gonna have to look at it all alittle closer
until then i will just get the rest of the nitro stuff ready to go have a 5th body mount for the gt and finish painting half a dozen bodies 4w1/8 is ready and the 1/10 is together waiting for a base setup to put on
My buddy Tom is probably running GT and pan at the GLC. I'm going to see if I can get Dave to run a pan as well, and I make three. Pan had a REALLY good turnout at the GLC, nothing short of amazing given it was the first year of it (again.) And when I see you at one of the races, I wouldn't mind you having a look at my pan build, see if you can improve on it a little given what you do in the real world.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

INS boxes i was think of putting on all my nitro just because neighbors are neighbors
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Blessedly, the camera batteries went dead on the third pic. But I thought I'd post one pic of the front.

Is it too heavy? Probably.

Could it be made smaller/thinner? Definitely. I'm even considering doing away with the middle axle/make the sides independent of each other.

But...it should be extra EXTRA durable, and I think I have a partial fix to the problem of lightweight steering hubs and the extra punishment they'll take with no suspension to cushion things. I slightly narrowed the distance between the top and bottom screws, away from the thinnest parts of the hub without actually causing it to bind. So...I get my camber and my caster, it'll take the rubber or the foam tires..now all I need are the ben hur attachments for taking out other cars.
that looks like a beefy front end...lets see the rest??.....put that sucker on the scale...inquiring minds want to know...
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Default INS Box

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
I think you'll be suprized how much difference it makes even on your motors.
I raced my car with a INS Box and without over the last two years. The differences appear to be: harder to shut down motor when done, need much bigger hole in body, cost more. I don't think the Pan cars without INS Boxes had anything to do with Andersons moving. The fact I've run races both ways and no body noticed tells me it is not a major item. If you have them and went to us it, go ahead. If you're putting together a neat body and don't went the big hole, not us it. If you rather pay entree with the money you didn't spend, go ahead. If you come to Toledo with INS Box or with out, we're glad you came!
Any one notice if Dasmopar's boy runs a INS Box?
Doesn't really matter! The Pan racers are here to enjoy the hobby of 1/8 RC cars in some ways lost to 4wd, building them, showing off some history, and beating on each other, what a blast!

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Das 1/8th Mopar;11868871] I don't think the Pan cars without INS Boxes had anything to do with Andersons moving.

OK there's a phrase that concerns me - did the Andersons close???

Still think we should all run the intake silencers in an attempt to be good neighbors - all we'd need is one cantankerous person in the houses to the west to start compaining and we'd be screwed - look at what happened to the guys in Hamilton!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default Shooting at Phil

Am I shooting at Phil you may ask yourself, of course I am. Why you ask, because it's fun and he shoots back too. His efforts to find a cheap way to get into an expensive arena and race with the big buck boys will not change 4wd much at all. His bring out his Super "J"s and now building on his ideas for a pan car are the sort of things that have shaped the pan class into the fun it is!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Rick Davis;11869144]
I don't think the Pan cars without INS Boxes had anything to do with Andersons moving.

OK there's a phrase that concerns me - did the Andersons close???

Still think we should all run the intake silencers in an attempt to be good neighbors - all we'd need is one cantankerous person in the houses to the west to start compaining and we'd be screwed - look at what happened to the guys in Hamilton!!!
I saw that Anderson's was having a liquidation sale a few weeks
ago....leads me to believe it is closed or will be VERY soon...we
will be the only tenants left.... Amazing.. And I agree... Lets try
to run the boxes to keep the peace...
Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

If there is a seperate demo race for the vintage pan cars and the GLC doesn't want to supply the trophies for it, I would like to bring trophies for this race,say about a half dozen,1-6 place sound about right.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
If there is a seperate demo race for the vintage pan cars and the GLC doesn't want to supply the trophies for it, I would like to bring trophies for this race,say about a half dozen,1-6 place sound about right.
Sounds like a great idea, provided we're not stealing from regular pan. I'd be happy to kick in on that as well, but if we could talk a few people like Rick (ahem, ahem) and some others to break out the old stuff, it'd be very workable. And again, I'd be happy to loan a car for the event.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.