Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #2386
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
email me a pic of what the front looks like....P.L.E.A.S.E..........
Well....damn.....I'll see about throwing you a pic tomorrow nite. It's too late and cold to go back down to the shop tonight. Remember, of course, that it's all top secret and you'll have to burn your computer after viewing.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #2387
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Totally agree. Added to what you mention is the track surface/area required. It takes a lot of time, money, and commitment to build a nitro (gas) in my day!) track. Racers are so spoiled with the great facilities for racing that they expect nothing less.
Nearly all the successful nitro on-road tracks that I am aware of are "permanent" facilities that have ten's of thousands of $ in the facility. I can't help but wonder how the current crop of racers would react to setting up and tearing down the track for every race. Most probably never heard of "Race, Marshall, Score"!
One last comment has to do with the cars being so fast and relitively fragile. The nature of the cars requires a smooth track with great traction or many complain. We tried to run 1/10 Sedans on our electric TC track and they were just too darn fast, shifting into second just when you needed to turn at the end of the straight. Suggestions were made to run single speeds and/or restricted engines, but nobody would even try it.

I don't think I remember setup ever taking more than an hour. If you got eight or nine guys to show up on time, it was really easy, and afterwards, just toss it all back in the trailer and hit the road. The Warnicks in Columbus had it down to a fine science....but I never envied Pete maintaining that wretched lap counting system; if you were scoring another car, dared to blink at the wrong time, and missed a lap, there was always hell to pay. But...it worked! In the course of a Midwest race in Columbus, we'd show up on Saturday, set up the track, stand, and scoring table, take entries (enough to fill superstock to the "G" main and enough to fill the open class to the "G" main as well, tho I distinctly remember starting out once in an "I" main), get three qualifiers in (which meant having to hustle), run the mains, then tear it all down Sunday night. I'll go you one further...I can't recall anyone complaining about doing it (setup, that is, no one really liked scoring laps, lol.) I have to admit, transponders are nifty, more accurate, and a hell of a timesaver. And while I love the Toledo track, I liked running in Portage as well...the track will never be as important as the people at the track. (Sidenote: On another site, me and a bunch of other guys trade old war stories about the Navy and how it's gone to hell since, thus irritating all the newer guys. Wonder how often that happens here...lol.)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #2388
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro neil View Post
I have a Delta P4 chassis and I have scanned through the instructions and gotten some information from the internet.It looks as though the car has never been driven. The pulleys and belts show no wear. The bottom of the chassis doesn't have a scratch on it. There is one bag of parts that has the motor mounts and some hardware. Another bag that seems to have What I believe is a spool and belt for the front with some bearings, dog bones and the out drive for one side of the spool.In this bag I have what looks to be a small pulley and and mount to be a beil tensioner. I have another bag that has a brand new diff kit still sealed in the bag with the header card. I have another bag that is sealed with the header card missing the label but is a 2 speed transmission. I have another sealed bag with the header card which is a 7mm flywheel kit. I have only 2 shocks with it. I'm looking to find out what I need to complete the car.

Was there a swaybar on these cars or was this optional?
What if any thing else you can see in the pictures may be missing.
Can someone give me a clue as to what this may be worth?
I made an offer to you, which I intend to complete thursday, unless you get a better deal before then and wish to sell to someone else. Putting a straight value to it is hard, but as I said before, your best bet to get the maximum nickel out of it would be to list it on Ebay, put a HIGH reserve on it, and then if it doesn't sell, you can offer it to the highest bidder. I'll go one further...if you put it on Ebay and it doesn't sell for as much as I offered, I'll still honor our deal, since my understanding is that the money is going to the widow of the person who owned it. If anyone else reading this knows of anyone seriously interested in what looks like a car with very good potential, help us out and steer him over to Neil....many thanx, all.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #2389
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
I don't think I remember setup ever taking more than an hour. If you got eight or nine guys to show up on time, it was really easy, and afterwards, just toss it all back in the trailer and hit the road. The Warnicks in Columbus had it down to a fine science....but I never envied Pete maintaining that wretched lap counting system; if you were scoring another car, dared to blink at the wrong time, and missed a lap, there was always hell to pay. But...it worked! In the course of a Midwest race in Columbus, we'd show up on Saturday, set up the track, stand, and scoring table, take entries (enough to fill superstock to the "G" main and enough to fill the open class to the "G" main as well, tho I distinctly remember starting out once in an "I" main), get three qualifiers in (which meant having to hustle), run the mains, then tear it all down Sunday night. I'll go you one further...I can't recall anyone complaining about doing it (setup, that is, no one really liked scoring laps, lol.) I have to admit, transponders are nifty, more accurate, and a hell of a timesaver. And while I love the Toledo track, I liked running in Portage as well...the track will never be as important as the people at the track. (Sidenote: On another site, me and a bunch of other guys trade old war stories about the Navy and how it's gone to hell since, thus irritating all the newer guys. Wonder how often that happens here...lol.)
Phill, You are correct about setting up the track with 8 or 9 but when you have 4 or 5, it is a problem. I remember more that once in Toledo, when we'd have too few guys to set-up easily, we decided to cancel the race! THe bigger problem was picking it up! Guys would leave right after their main and only a few were left to pick everything up! We started having a money raffle, AFTER the track was all in the Trailer to all those who helped!!!
How about no marshalls, or maybe one or two, but you had to fuel your own car because there were so few there! I got really good at driving while running back up the drivers' stand steps!!!

We've come a long way baby! i couldn't even think about running, let alone running and driving!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #2390
Tech Addict

Default Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Phill, You are correct about setting up the track with 8 or 9 but when you have 4 or 5, it is a problem. I remember more that once in Toledo, when we'd have too few guys to set-up easily, we decided to cancel the race! THe bigger problem was picking it up! Guys would leave right after their main and only a few were left to pick everything up! We started having a money raffle, AFTER the track was all in the Trailer to all those who helped!!!
How about no marshalls, or maybe one or two, but you had to fuel your own car because there were so few there! I got really good at driving while running back up the drivers' stand steps!!!

We've come a long way baby! i couldn't even think about running, let alone running and driving!
I STILL fuel my own car for qualifying. It's only five minutes, I'm not running out of fuel, and I can't see troubling anyone to pit for me for five minutes! Some guys think it's a little odd, but it's no trouble for me at all. And should I have the eventual wreck that knocks it out, I don't need someone with dustpan and broom to fetch it for me either, I carry my shame proudly...lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #2391
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
I STILL fuel my own car for qualifying. It's only five minutes, I'm not running out of fuel, and I can't see troubling anyone to pit for me for five minutes! Some guys think it's a little odd, but it's no trouble for me at all. And should I have the eventual wreck that knocks it out, I don't need someone with dustpan and broom to fetch it for me either, I carry my shame proudly...lol.
i carried a few bits and pieces off the track myself<G>LOL i wish my 1/10 would go 5 min it only went 4:30 in qualifier at leisure last year of course i figured out the problems after it went threw the wall <G> but i do remember times pitting for 3 and 4 cars in a heat back in the day

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #2392
Tech Adept

Just read on another thread that the GLC will be held Aug. 21-25. I'm assuming there will be a pan class this year.If there is I m getting out there come hell or high water to race with you guys. No one to play with in the northeast.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2393
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default GLC Pan Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool View Post
Just read on another thread that the GLC will be held Aug. 21-25. I'm assuming there will be a pan class this year.If there is I m getting out there come hell or high water to race with you guys. No one to play with in the northeast.
Since Toledo seems to be the "Home of the Pan Class" I'm sure there they will be run at the GLC again this year. If you get in the mood for another chance to race pan, I was run at all the MidWest Series races last year and it will be again this year. These are two day races and there will likey be as many tans there as at the GLC!

What car will you be running? We have a few guys who may want to run "Vintage" straight axle cars. Maybe we could have a heat of those along with the "Modern" pans or at least a demo race!

(I in South Carolina and have to travel for any gas on-road. Florida or Ohio...
Since I'm from Toledo...

Hope to see you sometime this summer!
Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #2394
Tech Adept

Default GLC

I was planning on bringing my P8C and my Super J and my 18 year old son will be running his 200mm Serpent.I'm hoping I can talk him into running the car I don't.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #2395
Tech Addict

Default Hey!

Quote:
I was planning on bringing my P8C and my Super J and my 18 year old son will be running his 200mm Serpent.I'm hoping I can talk him into running the car I don't.
Aw come on...you HAVE to run the J. I'll be running one, and I'm going to see if I can get Art to run one as well....
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #2396
Tech Adept

Quote:
Aw come on...you HAVE to run the J. I'll be running one, and I'm going to see if I can get Art to run one as well....
Won't make any promises,except for that I will be at the GLC and both cars will be ready to race.But I have to admit a vintage race sounds GREAT!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #2397
Tech Addict

Default Well...

Quote:
Won't make any promises,except for that I will be at the GLC and both cars will be ready to race.But I have to admit a vintage race sounds GREAT!
I'm torn. On the one hand, I'd prefer to support new pan, since that's the future. We had enough numbers in pan last year to fill a main. If we try to split it up between new and old, there may not be enough numbers to do both decently. If, by some wild chance, there are enough pan drivers to run at least six vintage and six new, I'd put up a prize for the vintage class, but as much a fan of Delta as I am, I don't want to step on the future of pan because I think it's got a great shot at revitalizing onroad in general. As it stands, I could guarantee at least two vintage entries between Tom and myself, and I'd loan a car to someone to drive to fill out a class. I think I'll just sit and wait it out....what I'd REALLY like to see tho is a vintage run at the GLC with Rick, Art and Ned....get a few more drivers who ran that stuff originally and it'd be a great race. (Ahem...I'll take bets trackside on who finishes where....)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #2398
Tech Adept

Default GLC Bodies

Are any bodies legal to run in the pan class at the GLC or do you have to run only ROAR approved bodies?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #2399
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Quote:
Are any bodies legal to run in the pan class at the GLC or do you have to run only ROAR approved bodies?
I don't think we have that problem in pan. Run what ya brung, so long as it's not some exotic out there kind of thing. Lon would know better than I what is widely used, I've been running Elfin and Lola bodies myself but on my prototype will probably run the same thing I'm running on my Edam.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #2400
Tech Adept

Quote:
I don't think we have that problem in pan. Run what ya brung, so long as it's not some exotic out there kind of thing. Lon would know better than I what is widely used, I've been running Elfin and Lola bodies myself but on my prototype will probably run the same thing I'm running on my Edam.
Cool, I've got a Parma 03 Audi on my P8C, plus an extra and a DeltaPlastik Porsche 917/30 on the Super J, will have to order another for a backup though.