Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #2356
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
I always thought that the XK-E coupe was about the prettiest car ever. That is so cool! 3.8 or 4.2? Good luck with it.

Rick had a pretty cool 2 seater also, still got it Rick?
It's the 4.2. I heard horror stories about the 3.8....and getting the convertible was far above my means (tho I'm trying to work a deal with some schmuck down in Tx with four of 'em, all flood damaged.) I got this one out of Georgia and had it shipped up, I got a pretty good deal on it. The guy before me had the interior redone, seats, door panels, and so forth...and had a Jag dealership go thru the drivetrain (and they ripped him off to the tune of about 8k). I pulled the carbs and could tell they haven't been used in quite awhile, number one cyl has a little less compression than it should, but I rebuilt the carbs with what I had on hand and we got it running pretty quickly (and yeah, it sounds sweet.) Apparently there's a company up in Michigan that has everything I'm going to need to do the restoration parts-wise, some small trim pieces, seals, and so forth. IF all goes well (and it's a huge if, gonna be a body-off restoration) we hope to have it complete by GLC time and I'll put it up for everyone to have a look.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #2357
Tech Master

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc349abf8.jpg

and ten minutes later with feverish filing....
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psd1bca0cf.jpg
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #2358
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
K...'splain something to me. I have to mount my tank far right rear because I have no other options. But because of your setup, you could mount yours right in the middle....yet you didn't. Why? Or is that just a temp setup? Also, I got in another shipment of Edam parts, ordered up some of the three shoe bells...they look excellent, didn't cost squat, and the mesh between Edam pinions and Kyosho spurs is perfect....
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #2359
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
K...'splain something to me. I have to mount my tank far right rear because I have no other options. But because of your setup, you could mount yours right in the middle....yet you didn't. Why? Or is that just a temp setup? Also, I got in another shipment of Edam parts, ordered up some of the three shoe bells...they look excellent, didn't cost squat, and the mesh between Edam pinions and Kyosho spurs is perfect....
I don't want to have to cut all the driver figure out... Ill try it on
the right and see how she runs... Bet I won't even notice...I want
to float the front body mounts to let the front end flex freely....
Anyone have any ideas?

Wheres your pics?.....Or is it the bigfoot edition...???.....people talk about it...but it doesn't really exist......

Last edited by Taylorm; 02-14-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: na
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #2360
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Quote:
I don't want to have to cut all the driver figure out... Ill try it on
the right and see how she runs... Bet I won't even notice...I want
to float the front body mounts to let the front end flex freely....
Anyone have any ideas?

Wheres your pics?.....Or is it the bigfoot edition...???.....people talk about it...but it doesn't really exist......
I'm waiting to get it a little further along. Then again, I may not post any pics, just show up to the track with it. My engineering skills at stuff this small is....well, I don't want to say abysmal....but I find it odd that I can rebuild an engine in my sleep but seem to have problems drilling holes where they need to be, and my machining skills wouldn't qualify even in the third world. That said, I've got the rear end complete, most of the front end done, trans mounted, engine mounted, nearly everything but servos, tank and linkage. Thing is, I suspect it'll do well on the track, tho it may generate a few laughs as to looks. I was never good at jigsaw puzzles, either...
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #2361
Tech Master

Quote:
I'm waiting to get it a little further along. Then again, I may not post any pics, just show up to the track with it. My engineering skills at stuff this small is....well, I don't want to say abysmal....but I find it odd that I can rebuild an engine in my sleep but seem to have problems drilling holes where they need to be, and my machining skills wouldn't qualify even in the third world. That said, I've got the rear end complete, most of the front end done, trans mounted, engine mounted, nearly everything but servos, tank and linkage. Thing is, I suspect it'll do well on the track, tho it may generate a few laughs as to looks. I was never good at jigsaw puzzles, either...
.i feel your pain...im doing my "machining" on a small drill press i borrowed from a neighbor...sliding my parts across the face of an end mill (in a heavy vise) like you would with a wodd shaper...ive managed to keep everything fairly accurate dimension wise....hopefully next scratch pan will be much nicer with a milling machine....and be built quicker...already have ideas for edition 2......
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #2362
Tech Addict

Quote:
What?.............carboard will get soggy with nitro fuel??...whoodathunkit.........
if we are going for odd stuff i have an original meccano set (in wood tool box) now that would make a chassis
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #2363
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
if we are going for odd stuff i have an original meccano set (in wood tool box) now that would make a chassis
I have a roll of tin foil and some rusty bottle caps I could contribute...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #2364
Tech Master

Quote:
I have a roll of tin foil and some rusty bottle caps I could contribute...
....or just go for a balsa wood chassis Joe....Phil's tank
will crack you into a thousand pieces when he smashes u...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #2365
Tech Addict

Quote:
....or just go for a balsa wood chassis Joe....Phil's tank
will crack you into a thousand pieces when he smashes u...
wow still cold out and the trash talk starts
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #2366
Tech Addict

Default Nah

Quote:
wow still cold out and the trash talk starts
The trash talk now is merely the qualifier for the trash talk mains later in the year.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #2367
Tech Master

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psca6c8f8a.jpg
go ahead trash talk this up...its ok....i cant take it Joe

Last edited by Taylorm; 02-17-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #2368
Tech Addict

Quote:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psca6c8f8a.jpg
go ahead tarsh talk this up...its ok....i cant take it Joe
just can't do it, each persons individual ideas is what makes this fun. noticed on our RCTV show never any 1/8th hardly any on road at all. if some one can make a vid this summer i'll send it too them since it's a canadian channel.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #2369
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Good Point!

Quote:
noticed on our RCTV show never any 1/8th hardly any on road at all. if some one can make a vid this summer i'll send it too them since it's a canadian channel.
Joe,
I noticed the same thing. Recently, RC Driver Magazine had an article on the different types of RC cars. In the on-road section they had rc motorcycles but no mention of 1/8 scale gas on-road. Not 4WD let alone pan. Sad...

Take a look at the numbers of those viewing the different forums here on RCTECH. Tells the tail, I'm afraid.
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #2370
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Joe,
I noticed the same thing. Recently, RC Driver Magazine had an article on the different types of RC cars. In the on-road section they had rc motorcycles but no mention of 1/8 scale gas on-road. Not 4WD let alone pan. Sad...

Take a look at the numbers of those viewing the different forums here on RCTECH. Tells the tail, I'm afraid.
too bad guess it's on life support,