R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #2116
Tech Regular

Joe, how much practice do you need to stand back and watch?
2wd, my P8C Extreme with Spektrum servos and receiver, Novarossi 3-port, 1600 mah nickle metal pack, fiberglass chassis, and front brace, body, race ready, no fuel = 2,477 g or 5.46 #
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #2117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
Can't get old pan car to work because multiple reasons....1.....tires...I call BSR and the phone jockey on the other end wants me to shoot off an email to John.... And as usual when you send a company an email these days they don't answer... 2...don't have a lathe/ mill to make adapters to fit new rims/ tires... Other wise I think the ole RC300 had moments of promise.. Need to find me a local machine shop ....
Matt,
If you want adapters, tell me. I'll give/make you a set. I've also offered you the use of my old P8 and or my DXF. I see no problem you running in the top 3 with any of the above. I understand you wanting to build something yourself for sure and respect your decision, but my offer is still open!!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #2118
Tech Master

Default IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
We've got what we need, we just need more of it. Bring us another European pan. A Edam RTR run pan car. (Sorry, 4wd is to complex to make a good RTR). A good strong 1/8th pan program will lead us to an even stronger 1/8th 4wd program. Putting even the cutest of off scale cars out there will split what racers we gave up and make the days longer.
"we" don't have what we need. The 1/8 pan is not cheap enough, not easily available enough, not "Ready-to run" enough to add significant numbers of new racers to 1/8 scale gas racing. Phil's idea is ok, but it is just that, an idea. Time will tell if it actuallly works out or not...

Look at those running Pan:
Lon Sr. Was running 4wd, (Just changed classes)
Lon III Just started racing 1/8. Count as new racer,
Noah Same as III
Farmer Was racing off-road, so they lost 1, (Talking of having interest in 4wd)
Dave Was racing GT8. (Just changed classes)
Joe P. Was racing 4wd (Just changed classes and is rumored to be
going back)
Joe T. Was racing Sedan (Just changed classes)
Brent Was running 4wd (Raced pan twice)
"Big Joe" Has car (Didn't race Pan)
Phil Running 4wd and Vintage car, "Cring Special" in develpoment
Matt Was running 4wd and ran Vintage car 3 times, "TalyorCrafted
Special" in Development
Rick Ran Vintage car in one main
Ned Ran once.........

So my point is that there are maybe three racers at the track that are there because of the Pan. Maybe something else/more/different is needed to get more new racers. I just tossed out that a cheap 1/10 scale pan, might be one possible way forward. Personally, I really like the Pan class and would support it every race if I could make it to them, I am not looking for "Instant Gratification". I consider myself a modeler, builder, racing enthuisiast, and hobbiest, pan class is perfect for me, aparently not too many others...

Hope I can run a couple of times next year, but now I lost my free rooming house!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #2119
Tech Master

Default Pan Points

I have heard that the Club Points Championship deal is not as big a thing as it was when I was in the club "back in the day". I was looking at the Pan Class Points as posted on JLap and they appear to be in error. As I do not have access to all the results and am too lazy to reconstruct the ones I might be able to, here are my concerns: Some of the race results are listed under
"1/8 GT" and some under "1/8 Pan" I reralize the cars were combined on the track but sometimes they appear to be sperated by position in class, sometimes not. There is no indication of any races being dropped which is not uncommon in my experience.

I would suggest the average finish is used to determine the champion as that would not only simplifiy things but then I would be #1!!!

Let me know if anyone wants more detail/examples...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #2120
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Matt,
If you want adapters, tell me. I'll give/make you a set. I've also offered you the use of my old P8 and or my DXF. I see no problem you running in the top 3 with any of the above. I understand you wanting to build something yourself for sure and respect your decision, but my offer is still open!!
I d love a set of adapters...even with adapters it still frustrating because I seem to throw away half of the rear tires because of the monster spur gear...I'd rather you make me a 6mm spur gear adapter... I have some Kyosho spurs coming from EBay... You need one to make the adapter... Or just hole pattern/ dimensions???.....think ill just shelve the RC300's for now and concentrate on the scratch Motonica B-Killer...
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #2121
Tech Regular

Default Shaking!

I might have to barrow some meds off my buddy Ned, cause for some reason, I find myself shaking all over!.........Where can I hide?
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #2122
Tech Master

Default Shaking?

Quote:
I might have to barrow some meds off my buddy Ned, cause for some reason, I find myself shaking all over!.........Where can I hide?
I don't think you have to worry, us scratch builders haven't made a decent car in decades!! Be careful how much you modify your Motonica, you may slow down!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #2123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Ok I think I'm gonna dust off my ride and bring it out to some of these vintage races...........................
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-mtb_parts-019.jpg  
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #2124
Tech Master

Quote:
my P8C Extreme with Spektrum servos and receiver, Novarossi 3-port, 1600 mah nickle metal pack, fiberglass chassis, and front brace, body, race ready, no fuel = 2,477 g or 5.46 #
Thanks. What thickness fibreglass did you use? Did you notice anything different in the handling when changing from 2mm aluminium to fibreglass?
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #2125
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Thanks. What thickness fibreglass did you use? Did you notice anything different in the handling when changing from 2mm aluminium to fibreglass?
... Prolly .125 inch
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #2126
Tech Master

Default Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabrc View Post
Ok I think I'm gonna dust off my ride and bring it out to some of these vintage races...........................
I actually raced against a guy running a Dynamic Suspension car back in the late 60's/early 70's! It wasn't that it was too slow, we all were slow, it was super fragile and you had to shift into neutral when you spun out or it would stall!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #2127
Tech Master

http://www.mantuamodel.com/index.php...pid&Itemid=106
just fired off an email to Mantua in the UK to see what this car would cost....And yes,.....I'm ready for sticker shock......
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #2128
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
http://www.mantuamodel.com/index.php...pid&Itemid=106
just fired off an email to Mantua in the UK to see what this car would cost....And yes,.....I'm ready for sticker shock......
I like the sturdy looking front end on that car!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #2129
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
I like the sturdy looking front end on that car!
.definately looks tougher than the Motonica.......
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #2130
Tech Master

Default Mantua

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Quote:
.definately looks tougher than the Motonica.......
The front end is not designed to use 4wd axles, making it simpler and stronger. But after the P8C is modified properly it would be very close in strength.

The rear pod being aluminum is what I really like. It is also interesting how much the rear resembles my now aborted belt drive pan car rear end set-up.

Matt-The car is quite reasonable, only $770! lol I think Mantua is actually from Italy, mabe some thing to do with SG?

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_0050.jpg

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-intrepidmc_b.jpg

Last edited by aarcobra; 10-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.