R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #2041
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just found a stash of the super hard 929 front tires, but on the old Serpent 'OS1' wheel. It looks like they fit the front axles of my Motonica, which means they will fit just about everything else these days, but they 'sit' a little wider. If anyone wants them, PM me, I got 5 pairs, $10/pair + shipping.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #2042
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

You guys missed a epic battle between the pan cars and the Gt cars the Gt cars came out ahead this time around but it was a closer battle than the G T guys were looking 4 round of applause to the killer bees
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #2043
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
You guys missed a epic battle between the pan cars and the Gt cars the Gt cars came out ahead this time around but it was a closer battle than the G T guys were looking 4 round of applause to the killer bees
could the pans finally be turning some heads??
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #2044
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default All righty then

Club race this weekend, Cincy next. If I have anything anyone needs, give me a yell so I remember to load it. I've already remembered to load my checkbook for Lon Sr., tho my engine issues may have been related to something else which is frankly too embarrassing to mention publically and further proof of my diminished mental capacity...

And got my fuel tank fixed. Brand new tank out of the bag (ok, 30 some odd year old but still in the bag) with a crack which caused it to fail, coupled with bad seal on the backup which my stupid self forgot to repair after a race, either way boils down to the pan being back up to 100% so maybe I can get a lap in with it now.

Got in some parts so I can begin my pan build right after the Snowball Rally...and when it's done I'll go nuts till I can actually put it on a track and try it out. General reminder...if there is anyone from the Toledo area needing a lift to and from the Winternats, I plan to attend, and I'll be dragging the box trailer so there's no lack of room for stuff. Chip in a buck for fuel and cover your own costs and it's all good. I'm going...I have to go...I haven't been to a Winternats since '84, I need to promote the Edam, I need testing time for the new pan, and most importantly, I hate the frigging cold and February is a great month for Florida.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #2045
Tech Master

Phil... Bring all the Edam parts.... Season about over...
Time to build Killer B pan crusher,....
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #2046
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
This sounds SERIOUS!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2047
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Quote:
Already in the box and ready to go. Looks like I'll be solo, Tom's wife isn't feeling well so I'll punt on the fancy box trailer pit and just load up truck and drive.......
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #2048
Tech Addict

Default Ok, silly idea time

I rechecked the Roar rules and it doesn't allow it. That said, I'm contemplating building another prototype pan this winter, 2wd, but FRONT wheel drive. Our design would allow for it with simple changes. Question is, has anyone else ever considered doing it, did any factory ever punch one out? I'm thinking on a pan the weight transfer wouldn't be the pain it is in a suspension car, but I'm also wondering how bad the front tire wear would be with such a critter. If we build this, we'll probably go with front tire braking as well (maybe that'd minimize some potential rear traction issues due to less weight in the rear.) Just a thought........
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #2049
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
I rechecked the Roar rules and it doesn't allow it. That said, I'm contemplating building another prototype pan this winter, 2wd, but FRONT wheel drive. Our design would allow for it with simple changes. Question is, has anyone else ever considered doing it, did any factory ever punch one out? I'm thinking on a pan the weight transfer wouldn't be the pain it is in a suspension car, but I'm also wondering how bad the front tire wear would be with such a critter. If we build this, we'll probably go with front tire braking as well (maybe that'd minimize some potential rear traction issues due to less weight in the rear.) Just a thought........
...., did you fall off the rocker again and hit your head???....
I would never race a fwd car.... You have to run a Toyota
Body on it though ......would it have big up front and
Littles out back like those kooky fwd drag cars????
Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #2050
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Quote:
...., did you fall off the rocker again and hit your head???....
I would never race a fwd car.... You have to run a Toyota
Body on it though ......would it have big up front and
Littles out back like those kooky fwd drag cars????
No, same size tires as now, just a little harder compound up front. I think an old Lola body would clear everything too, but haven't mocked one up yet to see. We'll have a look at it this winter to see if it's feasible, it wouldn't take much to throw one together just to try the idea, but that's the only purpose it'd serve, since it can't be raced according to the rules. Roar, in their "foresight," say that front wheel drive has to be raced alongside the 4wd's, and what's the point......be a neat engineering test tho.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #2051
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
No, same size tires as now, just a little harder compound up front. I think an old Lola body would clear everything too, but haven't mocked one up yet to see. We'll have a look at it this winter to see if it's feasible, it wouldn't take much to throw one together just to try the idea, but that's the only purpose it'd serve, since it can't be raced according to the rules. Roar, in their "foresight," say that front wheel drive has to be raced alongside the 4wd's, and what's the point......be a neat engineering test tho.
...at least it would never be loose like my cars.........
Old 09-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #2052
Tech Addict

I had an inkling that I was losing brakes last time I ran. Just figured it out. In a spot where a bronze bushing would have done a more than adequate job of keeping things tight, there's a 3x8x3 bearing that supports the bottom of the brake rod. The outer race is cracked....how the hell did that happen? Not only that, but the inner race has attached itse;f to the actuating rod.

so, I guess these things do wear out eventually!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #2053
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

John, I have both in stock if you need them.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #2054
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
John, I have both in stock if you need them.
Thanks Garen. I'm going to tear it down and put a parts order together over the next day or so.

This has been a fun car to run over the last few months. I expect it to continue to be. I just don't understand why there aren't more people running them.

If only I had a more impressive race resume....
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #2055
Tech Regular

I have not followed this thread, but I was wondering if there would be any interest in a rear wheel drive Delta 1/8th gas car from the mid 80s. I could dig it out for pictures if any body is interested. It would be a complete car as it last ran in the 80s. Started box included.

You can call 928-714-1799

Gary McAllister
flyingm is offline   Reply With Quote