Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Will it keep me from hitting boards?
from what i see, only removing the boards will help any of us any of you that have dennis email can you please pm it too me ?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Joe,
I posted what you were looking for on both the Midwest Series Forum and the Snowball forum. My email is [email protected] if you need anything else.
Thx
Dennis
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dyoung
Joe,
I posted what you were looking for on both the Midwest Series Forum and the Snowball forum. My email is [email protected] if you need anything else.
Thx
Dennis
thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default When and where to move, if at all!

Let's talk passing. when a faster car or driver comes up on a slower car or driver. It's not always the seasoned driver over taking the new driver. At times it might be the $600 motor coming up on the $400 motor. I've always have told the new driver to hold his line and the better faster driver will find a way passed (may not have a clue as what a line is). When the slower driver does something strange and surprises the faster driver, bad things happen.
If we all move over for the fast guy, why do we race? Is there anything wrong with making that guy prove himself. That guy might make a wrong move and take himself out. He might blame you cause he was 1, 2, maybe 3 laps ahead of you, you should have moved over. Still you got points and he didn't, You win on that day.
At what point do you step aside or expect the other guy to yield? Are the fast cars or drivers the only ones able to apply pressure? I think not.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I take great joy in seeing you come up on me, then doing my damnedest staying out front until I either make "the" mistake or just can't hang (when I gladly go wide, let you by, then see how long I can hang. It has been a longer learning curve than I thought it would be, which is one reason I enjoy it like I do.

Should slower drivers give room for the FFGs? I've come to know the capabilities of most of our classmates. Just depends on who and where it is.

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Let's talk passing. when a faster car or driver comes up on a slower car or driver. It's not always the seasoned driver over taking the new driver. At times it might be the $600 motor coming up on the $400 motor. I've always have told the new driver to hold his line and the better faster driver will find a way passed (may not have a clue as what a line is). When the slower driver does something strange and surprises the faster driver, bad things happen.
If we all move over for the fast guy, why do we race? Is there anything wrong with making that guy prove himself. That guy might make a wrong move and take himself out. He might blame you cause he was 1, 2, maybe 3 laps ahead of you, you should have moved over. Still you got points and he didn't, You win on that day.
At what point do you step aside or expect the other guy to yield? Are the fast cars or drivers the only ones able to apply pressure? I think not.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
I take great joy in seeing you come up on me, then doing my damnedest staying out front until I either make "the" mistake or just can't hang (when I gladly go wide, let you by, then see how long I can hang. It has been a longer learning curve than I thought it would be, which is one reason I enjoy it like I do.

Should slower drivers give room for the FFGs? I've come to know the capabilities of most of our classmates. Just depends on who and where it is.
While it appears I still know how to drive somewhat, my passing skills have deteriorated. Not that I'm doing much passing anymore, more like the passee than the passer, but I recall way back that sometimes it'd take me a lap or two to get around someone, just to make sure I didn't tag them by accident (and I will admit to tagging a few on purpose when need be.)

Here's my idea for passing/being passed
1. If you are several laps down from whoever is passing you, try to move over..no sense holding anyone up.
2. If you are racing for position, hold your line.
3. If you've not been passed yet, hold your line.

I've told Tom to hold his line in just about any situation. The learning curve is a bit steeper for him, getting in the groove and staying there is difficult enough. Getting OUT of the groove when you don't have positive control, then trying to get back in, is much harder. Besides, I agree with Lon to some degree, a faster driver should be able to get around a slower one with minimum carnage.

Honestly, a little common sense and some courtesy (both seem to be in short supply around the track at times) plus a little patience renders this convo moot.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Pure BS!!!

If RC car racers were really interested in "RACING" they would do away with the dumb "Qualifing" races and race heads up in the heats and mains, ie. USVTA. Some guys are so intent on qualifing that they forget about reason to have cars-to RACE 'EM! The qualifing system used separates the cars so they have less chance to actually run side by side.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
If RC car racers were really interested in "RACING" they would do away with the dumb "Qualifing" races and race heads up in the heats and mains, ie. USVTA. Some guys are so intent on qualifing that they forget about reason to have cars-to RACE 'EM! The qualifing system used separates the cars so they have less chance to actually run side by side.
Or, what happens more often than not, you race side by side and ruin two runs...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Right on!

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
While it appears I still know how to drive somewhat, my passing skills have deteriorated. Not that I'm doing much passing anymore, more like the passee than the passer, but I recall way back that sometimes it'd take me a lap or two to get around someone, just to make sure I didn't tag them by accident (and I will admit to tagging a few on purpose when need be.)

Here's my idea for passing/being passed
1. If you are several laps down from whoever is passing you, try to move over..no sense holding anyone up.
2. If you are racing for position, hold your line.
3. If you've not been passed yet, hold your line.

I've told Tom to hold his line in just about any situation. The learning curve is a bit steeper for him, getting in the groove and staying there is difficult enough. Getting OUT of the groove when you don't have positive control, then trying to get back in, is much harder. Besides, I agree with Lon to some degree, a faster driver should be able to get around a slower one with minimum carnage.

Honestly, a little common sense and some courtesy (both seem to be in short supply around the track at times) plus a little patience renders this convo moot.
I agree Phil! (I think Lon is just trying to stirr stuff up!)

Slower guys should learn to move out of the way of faster guys! That being said, they should also hold their line. The idea that someone significantly slower should attempt to "race" a much faster car is bad for both drivers. (This is the problem: how to define "significantly slower". I'd say that it should be evident to the "slower" car. IF you are on the same lap with a minute to go, you should race. If you are getting lapped one minute into the race, get out of the way!!)

When you try to stay ahead of another car which is alot faster than you are you are not learning how to race better, you are only hurting the lap times of both cars. I'm not saying to do anything drastic like stopping or turning abruptly, but go wide at a safe place and time. Watch 1:1 racing, only bozo's try to stay ahead when they are way over matched. As Farmer said, you can follow the guy who got by and see how long you can sick to him. It's a whole lot easier to watch someone ahead of you than some one behind you!

A couple of years ago I got back into 1/8 On-Road and my first race was the WinterNats. I was running an old oblolete car and "junk" motor and had not run these cars for 10 or 15 years. I found myself in heat races with MUCH faster cars and did my best to stay out of their way. After one heat race, I apologized to one "A Main" driver about my being in the way all the time. He pointed out that my driving was not a problem and that he and I had our best qualifiers in the same race! He lapped me numerous times! Thinking about it, I never came together with another car, until Lon crashed me a few times as I lapped him...now I see what the problem was!! Of course I have not been able to run anywhere near as fast as him since then!!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ok being my first year back to onroad rc in 30 years no i dont run a pan car but one of those moving pillons called a gt i know my driving is not the best but i am working on it weekly yes sometimes i over shoot turns and yes the car turns like a tank but i try to hold my line so faster cars (most Pans) can get around me thou it does not mean i don't make mistakes (and for those i apologize) but even when out at club track practicing with faster and slower cars i expect them to hold there line and i will do the same if i am faster i will make the pass if not i will be passed when the classes are combined as they are i personally am racing the other gt cars and the pans are just moving obsticles unless i am on same pace as one then they are the competition. and try to pass and race clean but there is always that moment in the heat of competition were you slide off line when pushing to the edge of traction thou qualifiers are for seeing who's fastest and the main is to see who survives the time it seams to be for me
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Join the dark side...

Originally Posted by azeroth
ok being my first year back to onroad rc in 30 years no i dont run a pan car but one of those moving pillons called a gt i know my driving is not the best but i am working on it weekly yes sometimes i over shoot turns and yes the car turns like a tank but i try to hold my line so faster cars (most Pans) can get around me thou it does not mean i don't make mistakes (and for those i apologize) but even when out at club track practicing with faster and slower cars i expect them to hold there line and i will do the same if i am faster i will make the pass if not i will be passed when the classes are combined as they are i personally am racing the other gt cars and the pans are just moving obsticles unless i am on same pace as one then they are the competition. and try to pass and race clean but there is always that moment in the heat of competition were you slide off line when pushing to the edge of traction thou qualifiers are for seeing who's fastest and the main is to see who survives the time it seams to be for me
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

boy i really do miss my old marker pan

i think it is about the only car i don't have
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Well

Here's the kicker. If contact is made between two cars, instead of assuming good faith screwup, sometimes both drivers assume the other guy did it intentionally. Now while I have seen some schmucks at the GLC who I'm pretty sure did it on purpose (not to me, of course, remember I graduated from the Rick Davis school of retribution...with honors..and can dish it out as well as I can take it, lol) a little courtesy would go a long way towards alleviating suspicion. Say for example, someone slightly taps you, knocking you into Canada with a few hundred dollars of damage...a "sorry!" would go a long way towards the person who got hit not spending the rest of the day planning just where to plant the explosives.

I don't get the qualifying either, but neither do I get the entire operation. You have a qualifier...and five minutes of warmup before. Some guys will try to hit that track for the full five min before, and run like a bat out of hell. First, it's freaking warmup. Second, if you don't have your stuff right before the qualifier, chances are that five minutes will only give you opportunity to screw your car up worse. Running as hard as you can the entire practice time seems like just asking for trouble.

Then of course, we have the weakly built 4wd's. They don't take much of a pounding, and sometimes what seems like a very minor hit does major damage, yet I don't see too many holding back in passing for that reason.

Which brings me back to pan...which are more durably built, which means you can have a little fun "muscling" another car around. Hey, sometimes rubbing is racing! It's also a lot more fun too, when you're just horsing around with the guys rather than trying to win, with some peculiar idea that the freedom of the world is settled by how you place.

You know, if I ramble long enough, I forget what the hell I was talking about...hmmm.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11204555]I agree Phil! (I think Lon is just trying to stirr stuff up!)

Slower guys should learn to move out of the way of faster guys! That being said, they should also hold their line. The idea that someone significantly slower should attempt to "race" a much faster car is bad for both drivers. (This is the problem: how to define "significantly slower". I'd say that it should be evident to the "slower" car. IF you are on the same lap with a minute to go, you should race. If you are getting lapped one minute into the race, get out of the way!!)

When you try to stay ahead of another car which is alot faster than you are you are not learning how to race better, you are only hurting the lap times of both cars. I'm not saying to do anything drastic like stopping or turning abruptly, but go wide at a safe place and time. Watch 1:1 racing, only bozo's try to stay ahead when they are way over matched. As Farmer said, you can follow the guy who got by and see how long you can sick to him. It's a whole lot easier to watch someone ahead of you than some one behind you!

A couple of years ago I got back into 1/8 On-Road and my first race was the WinterNats. I was running an old oblolete car and "junk" motor and had not run these cars for 10 or 15 years. I found myself in heat races with MUCH faster cars and did my best to stay out of their way. After one heat race, I apologized to one "A Main" driver about my being in the way all the time. He pointed out that my driving was not a problem and that he and I had our best qualifiers in the same race! He lapped me numerous times! Thinking about it, I never came together with another car, until Lon crashed me a few times as I lapped him...now I see what the problem was!! Of course I have not been able to run anywhere near as fast as him since then!! [/QUOTE]

Good post Ned.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

I received a reprieve...I'm coming Sunday, but I'm out of lids for the pan. So I'm running sedan. Anyone have a 1/10th arbor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.