R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #1921
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
Didn't you get to see mine at the GLC? If not, I'll bring it this sunday.
Unfortunately, I have to pass this weekend. I've been conned into putting my RD hat on...for a mountain bike race.

That and I haven't touched my car since Sunday...still lies in it's broken state.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #1922
Tech Regular

Default I'd know that body any where!

Quote:
Old school artwork, and if anyone recognizes the names, pass on some info please.
Red car is a ANTI MONKEY BUTT car!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #1923
Tech Master

RIP JOHN THORP.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #1924
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
yike's more the one!!???hey sr. see your p.m
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1925
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Echh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Yeah, MRP had great taste in body color, eh? I remember an old schkee body I had my dad had picked up in a hobby shop somewhere....lovely pin striping with colors only duplicated by a third rate burrito shack caught in a hurricaine but without the excellent aerodynamic qualities of a brick. What'll be funnier is when it eventually goes on ebay and somebody actually buys the thing...thinking it looks good!
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #1926
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Need some info, doing some research..anyone driving a Motonica, what are your gear counts, pinion and spur? Plus, does the Motonica have an adjustable clutch or do you just shave the clutches down to where you want them? I'm starting to get parts together for our build this winter and I need to figure some ratios out, have some idea where I'll be since I won't have a track to test it on till next season. Thanx.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #1927
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
He's been angling for my stuff for about 2 years now. I told him I'd send pics later, he's mostly interested in the Thorp, but the main quandary I'm having is I don't have a clue what it is worth, only what I've been offered for it. One guy offered me 600 last year as is, before getting the primary drive/clutch assembly and other nifty stuff, and that 600 was a low ball in my estimation, but I've never seen one for sale and thus couldn't say. I'm also sending him pics of the 75 MRP, and I'll try to download some of those pics on here as well.
I would start at $1000.......

$3500 for a NIB Delta Super Eagle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/delta-super-...item3a78e27c58

$2000 NIB Eagle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DELT...item25749c9e3d

Wen Car, $1300
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WEN-...item2574b26684

$350 for a parts lot for a Thorp car, mostly tires and shock stuff
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-THORP-RA...item3a78ac2074

Motor and clutch $250??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THORP-MOTOR-...item19d35855fd

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #1928
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Need some info, doing some research..anyone driving a Motonica, what are your gear counts, pinion and spur? Plus, does the Motonica have an adjustable clutch or do you just shave the clutches down to where you want them? I'm starting to get parts together for our build this winter and I need to figure some ratios out, have some idea where I'll be since I won't have a track to test it on till next season. Thanx.
The internal ratio is 2.4. I suppose That's from the belt reduction. Lon and I are running 44t spurs, He's got a 21t pinion, I have a 20, but still have a 19t on it. Joe T. has a 47t spur, I don't know what he's got on it for pinion.

Not sure about the clutch. There appears to be something to adjust, but I haven't had to do anything to mine.

Phil, If I've understood your description of layout correctly, You're going to run essentially a half GT drive train? pinion to shaft mounted spur to half shaft, then rear dif?

Are you concerned with what that will do to the balance? Do you expect to have "the shaft effect" that you get with shaft driven 4x4s?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #1929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thorpe on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1-8-...item2c6804109a
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #1930
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
That guy is probably "optimistic", i doubt he will get that much.

The auctions I posted are completed, so they actually sold for the price listed.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1931
Tech Master

Quote:
.........Phil.....i believe the final drive ratio on the Motonicas was 5.92.........I won an old BMT 1/8 4WD ( has a nice ball diff in it) car on the bay and am going to do a scratch pan this winter.........set up to run the OS2 offset.........so i can hoard used 4WD tires like JoeP does............the Motonica has an adjustable clutch that looks exactly like a werks clutch......... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKR0&P=7
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #1932
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
The internal ratio is 2.4. I suppose That's from the belt reduction. Lon and I are running 44t spurs, He's got a 21t pinion, I have a 20, but still have a 19t on it. Joe T. has a 47t spur, I don't know what he's got on it for pinion.

Not sure about the clutch. There appears to be something to adjust, but I haven't had to do anything to mine.

Phil, If I've understood your description of layout correctly, You're going to run essentially a half GT drive train? pinion to shaft mounted spur to half shaft, then rear dif?

Are you concerned with what that will do to the balance? Do you expect to have "the shaft effect" that you get with shaft driven 4x4s?
Exactly. And there should be no prob whatsoever with balance since nearly everything will be level, small o rings to take up slack in the ends, and of course the shafts will be balanced. It's gotten even easier on us in planning since we decided to go with the Edam front and rear hub assemblies, using the pillow balls to mount into aluminum bulkheads...so you get to keep all your adjustments, and even if you break a part, they're so cheap it doesn't matter. Not that I forsee much breakage since we're looking at piano wire rear bumper on the back, nerf style bars on the sides (not fixed, so they still allow chassis flex for traction) and slightly upswept front end and bumper backed by an aluminum front axle. The only issue we haven't quite mapped out yet is gear ratios, ensuring there is enough at take off and not winding completely out before the end of the backstraight, but it's not looking like a prob...I'm just doing the homework to make sure it's not going to be a prob. And with the adjustable rear end, we'll be able to run either new rears with low clearance, or after a simple adjustment, run 'em right down to the rims, literally. In the lower setting, the rear rims will be level with the pan, so some of you guys having to change tires during a main would no longer have to do that. The shafts, turnbuckles and steering links will be heavy duty stuff as well. I did a little computation today and parts wise, I'm looking at about 200 before tires, engine and radio gear. I'm sure that'll go up a little bit but the target for the prototype is less than 250 bucks material cost, we'll be fabricating the pan, bulkheads, nerfs, and servo tray.

If all this works and there is interest in it, we're trying to design it so simply that anyone with the desire to do so could just get the specs off us and build the thing themselves. Access to aluminum, drill, cut off wheel and taps would be a must. I'm really hoping for a low cost, durable as Delta car that is fast and competitive, but I think there's a few guys out there that would enjoy doing the whole thing from scratch like guys did in the beginning, and we're trying to stick with off the shelf parts for what we or others can't make and to save money. We'll probably begin in earnest at the end of the season and I'll post pics as we go so everyone can see what we're driving at.

Thanx for the numbers...now I get to do math....lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #1933
Tech Addict

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
That guy is probably "optimistic", i doubt he will get that much.

The auctions I posted are completed, so they actually sold for the price listed.
I don't see that going for that much either, but you never know. All it takes is two guys fighting over the same thing. I've seen a Super Eagle go for 5k, I saw a Super J still in the box go for 5200, and while I've seen all kinds of prices for all kinds of stuff, it really is a crapshoot. I've been meaning to start listing some of my stuff, but I'm still holding off and checking what others go for first. There's also a guy on Ebay selling a very old MRP like mine, but I don't think he'll get that kind of money for it either. Another guy wants 300 bucks for an MRP diff...I didn't think a GP180 would get 300 for the whole car! And I've seen tons of Associated stuff go way, way cheaper than it should have. Sometimes Ebay is a little like politics, just when you thought you've seen it all, some new bs comes to light to make you wonder, "how in hell did THAT happen...." lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #1934
Tech Addict

Default Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.........Phil.....i believe the final drive ratio on the Motonicas was 5.92.........I won an old BMT 1/8 4WD ( has a nice ball diff in it) car on the bay and am going to do a scratch pan this winter.........set up to run the OS2 offset.........so i can hoard used 4WD tires like JoeP does............the Motonica has an adjustable clutch that looks exactly like a werks clutch......... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKR0&P=7
We're staying away from adjustable clutch...lack of maintenance is part of the goal, but I was curious, and now I know, thanx. Part of our design is the same thing, be able to utilize used 4wd tires and run them right down to the rim. Frankly, I want to drop everything else and get started on it but getting in a hurry guarantees a crap product and there's plenty of time before the 1st club race of 2013.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #1935
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The motonica clutch is very good. I built it a long time ago, ran countless times and it appears John has been running it and hasn't even taken the bell off to see it. Yes it is pretty much the same as the werks clutch, which is a copy of the fioroni clutch. No shaving or modding needed.

The P8C has a 20/48 brake pinion/rear pulley and I think it comes with 18t pinion and 47t spur. Most change to 19/46 or so.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote