R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #1906
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
at the last club race we added some extra days, being middle aged i forgot the dates. please remind me
We added the 9th and elimanated the 23rd (due to Midwest / Joliet move) and added the 30th.
__________________
Empire Racing - Serpent - K.O. Propo Electronics - Tornado Fuel
Time for us all to grow up and sign our real names on posts.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1907
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 394
Default Bad News

Not sure that this is the correct place for this but it seemed the most appropriate - just saw this on a slot car blog

I want to let everyone know that I just received word from Denis that his father the Great John J. Thorp has had a bad fall, and as a result has had many complications and his health is rapidly deteriorating. He is at Pomona Valley Hospital. I will post any news as I receive it. Please add John to your thoughts and prayers, he is a true pioneer.

For all that do not know John was one of the pioneers of our hobby.
__________________
Empire Racing - Serpent - K.O. Propo Electronics - Tornado Fuel
Time for us all to grow up and sign our real names on posts.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #1908
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Not sure that this is the correct place for this but it seemed the most appropriate - just saw this on a slot car blog

I want to let everyone know that I just received word from Denis that his father the Great John J. Thorp has had a bad fall, and as a result has had many complications and his health is rapidly deteriorating. He is at Pomona Valley Hospital. I will post any news as I receive it. Please add John to your thoughts and prayers, he is a true pioneer.

For all that do not know John was one of the pioneers of our hobby.
thanks for the info, best wishes too the thorp family.
__________________
who cares what the kardashians are doing
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #1909
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Gotcha and thanx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Not sure that this is the correct place for this but it seemed the most appropriate - just saw this on a slot car blog

I want to let everyone know that I just received word from Denis that his father the Great John J. Thorp has had a bad fall, and as a result has had many complications and his health is rapidly deteriorating. He is at Pomona Valley Hospital. I will post any news as I receive it. Please add John to your thoughts and prayers, he is a true pioneer.

For all that do not know John was one of the pioneers of our hobby.
First, caught the thing on the change of dates, I'll let Tom and Dave know as well.

Prayers and best wishes to Mr. Thorp and his family. Rick, if you get an addy to send cards or what not, or if there is anything we can do for him that you hear of, please let us know.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #1910
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 448
Default

Thanks Rick, I'd say where there are racers that have met John Thorp, or run his cars, then that's a correct place. I had the pleasure of doing both. John has always marched to the beat of a different drum, something we don't see much of these days. GOOD LUCK! John



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Not sure that this is the correct place for this but it seemed the most appropriate - just saw this on a slot car blog

I want to let everyone know that I just received word from Denis that his father the Great John J. Thorp has had a bad fall, and as a result has had many complications and his health is rapidly deteriorating. He is at Pomona Valley Hospital. I will post any news as I receive it. Please add John to your thoughts and prayers, he is a true pioneer.

For all that do not know John was one of the pioneers of our hobby.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #1911
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
Wish I had an idea of what this thing is worth, and still wondering what ROAR had against it. Way back, there was a rule in pan, no variable speed...and there was only one car it applied to. I think it was way ahead of its time, and the concept makes more sense to me than multiple gears, plus a 4wd setup in the fashion of how Kyosho did it makes a lot of sense to me as well. Granted, I still have doubts on the piano wire suspension (I think Serpents first car had that as well, mounted in plastic pieces, and it sucked) but the drive part was and is a really good idea, setup is a snap, belt replacement very easy, and a good looking car, all in all.
.............Looking at the instructions for the Thorp variable speed tranny it becomes apparent where the idea for the modern day centex clutches was born!! Hey maybe a varation of the centax clutch might make a better varable speed tranny design??
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-centaxial_clutch_engine2.png  

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 09-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #1912
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,361
Default

The Thorp clutch and the Centex clutch are of the pusher design.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #1913
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 394
Default Passing of John Thorp

Just saw this on Slotblog , unsure of the original writer who was not credited , sad too see another pioneer lost to us , sad news in both the slot and R/C communities.

Posted on Facebook......

Today was the passing of my friend John J. Thorp . I got to see him on Saturday, and knew he was ready to leave his earthly form, and maybe meet up with his late wife Helen. I like to think he had an amazing full life and touched many peoples lives with his designs and hard work in the fields of slot and radio controlled cars. I can't think of a better day for his passing then Labor Day. I will always remember John and his ingenious designs and fantastic accomplishments he made in his field. John was always kind to me, and I will miss visiting him. I am very thankful for the time I had documenting his creations, and hearing all his great stories. He will be missed.
__________________
Empire Racing - Serpent - K.O. Propo Electronics - Tornado Fuel
Time for us all to grow up and sign our real names on posts.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #1914
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Just saw this on Slotblog , unsure of the original writer who was not credited , sad too see another pioneer lost to us , sad news in both the slot and R/C communities.

Posted on Facebook......

Today was the passing of my friend John J. Thorp . I got to see him on Saturday, and knew he was ready to leave his earthly form, and maybe meet up with his late wife Helen. I like to think he had an amazing full life and touched many peoples lives with his designs and hard work in the fields of slot and radio controlled cars. I can't think of a better day for his passing then Labor Day. I will always remember John and his ingenious designs and fantastic accomplishments he made in his field. John was always kind to me, and I will miss visiting him. I am very thankful for the time I had documenting his creations, and hearing all his great stories. He will be missed.
Thanks for posting, Rick. Sorry to hear about John....
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1915
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 448
Default Thanks Rick

John Thorp's job here is done, RIP my friend. Yet I have to belief that some where up above, the racing is about to get very interesting.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #1916
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Now there's a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
John Thorp's job here is done, RIP my friend. Yet I have to belief that some where up above, the racing is about to get very interesting.
But I'd bet when I get to the "great racetrack in the sky" that my clutch doesn't hold up. I would have liked to have met the man myself...I've designed and built some nifty things in my day but nothing I could ever build would equal a Thorp.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #1917
Tech Addict
 
Farmer_John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 597
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
John Thorp's job here is done, RIP my friend. Yet I have to belief that some where up above, the racing is about to get very interesting.
This board needs a like button...the only Thorp anything I've hadmy hands on were some really nice wrenches with his name on them.
__________________
RCHOTPIT.COM...now alive...
Farmer_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #1918
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

They still sell those wrenches, under the MIP brand, but the same Thorpe wrenches nonetheless.
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #1919
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
This board needs a like button...the only Thorp anything I've hadmy hands on were some really nice wrenches with his name on them.
Didn't you get to see mine at the GLC? If not, I'll bring it this sunday.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #1920
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default A few bodies

Old school artwork, and if anyone recognizes the names, pass on some info please.
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1537.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1539.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1546.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1551.jpg  
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0