R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #1846
Tech Regular

Default BETTER USE OF YOUR TIME!

Phil,
Your whole team should focus on getting the "J" into the killer mode. I know you went the 4wd and GT to do well, I don't blame you. However, from one old guy to another, We can't do it all! If you plan to make your own pan, you'd be better off racing in pan. I think Dave needs track time to get up to speed, have you notice how the 4wd breaks? I know Tom loves his GT, but has done his best with a "J". We need to get your driving up to where I know it should be. pitting for others doesn't help that at all.
If I were going to do all that real driving to race RC cars, I'd went a strong contender that yields the best results and provides the most fun. I'd be burning the midnight oil till modern tires fit the Super "J"!
OK! I'm sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. Sorry, sort of!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #1847
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Phil,
Your whole team should focus on getting the "J" into the killer mode. I know you went the 4wd and GT to do well, I don't blame you. However, from one old guy to another, We can't do it all! If you plan to make your own pan, you'd be better off racing in pan. I think Dave needs track time to get up to speed, have you notice how the 4wd breaks? I know Tom loves his GT, but has done his best with a "J". We need to get your driving up to where I know it should be. pitting for others doesn't help that at all.
If I were going to do all that real driving to race RC cars, I'd went a strong contender that yields the best results and provides the most fun. I'd be burning the midnight oil till modern tires fit the Super "J"!
OK! I'm sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. Sorry, sort of!
You bring up a bunch of issues. For example, Dave has very, very little track time, most of his jaunts involved breakage and the other weekend was the first time he ever completed a qualifier. Once he gets to the point where he's not hitting so much (and so far the Edam seems like it takes a pretty good hit) he should do ok. He's younger, has the reflexes, and I think he wanted to do 1/8 from the start, just couldn't afford it.

I know I'd be happier exclusively doing pan but I made a commitment to Edam and I have to see it through, plus I want to help out those running 1/8 4wd. By the end of the GLC I'll have proven one way or the other if the car can hold its own against everything else which cost a lot more. I didn't run last time, I had a new engine in my Edam which wasn't fully broken in and frankly I wasn't feeling very well, plus the guys needed the track time a lot more than I do...sometimes you have to "take one for the team." Since I won't get to the GLC till thurday night of the event, I'll be running the Edam at Cincy, then Edam and pan at the GLC, and I should have the J modified to take the new rears by then as well. I ordered some rear hub shafts which I'll modify to fit...even if I didn't, with the rubber I already have and thanx to Louie P I'd have enough to run it old school, but either way it'll get there.

I gave Tom a "J". He's going to finish out the year with the GT, he has an investment in time in it making it fast and strong, it's been stupid electrical issues that have thrown him out of the races. That said, if the GT has other probs or if it's just his preference, he may run either a J next year or a pan car of his own build.

This year turned out to be a testing/get feet wet year, relearning all I've forgotten (and boy is that a long list of stuff) plus getting the guys up to speed on their stuff.

Long and short of it, I'll probably be running pan exclusively next year but still provide support and tech for 4wd and those wanting to do it on a budget. Either way, and problems aside, we're pretty happy with the year thus far...it's the people that make the hobby, not the cars, and it's a good bunch of folks showing up at the races, so I have no complaints. Just making it to the race when I thought, 27 years ago, that I'd never get to do it again EVER is good enough for me, everything else will come with time.

Keep sticking your nose where you like, it seems to have brought pan back from the dead and you better believe I'm happy about that!
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #1848
Tech Regular

Default Whats going on?

Test and tune day today. The track was sprayed and very good.The best time the Anti Monkey Butt could get was a 24.4. My car was diffing allot as I later found about 1/2 the diff oil was ____. You fill it in the blank your way. T bone was doing a bunch of 23s, don't know if Joe got into the 23s, but I think he and III hit 24 flat. Farmer was sailing also in the 24s but I'm not sure of his fast time. Zuke and II both took IIIs car into the 21s with a 5.4mm restrictor.
Pan car racing in Toledo is getting more and more curiouser as the season goes. I can't belief the rest of the Midwest or the rest of the country for that matter, hasn't caught on yet!
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #1849
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Test and tune day today. The track was sprayed and very good.The best time the Anti Monkey Butt could get was a 24.4. My car was diffing allot as I later found about 1/2 the diff oil was ____. You fill it in the blank your way. T bone was doing a bunch of 23s, don't know if Joe got into the 23s, but I think he and III hit 24 flat. Farmer was sailing also in the 24s but I'm not sure of his fast time. Zuke and II both took IIIs car into the 21s with a 5.4mm restrictor.
Pan car racing in Toledo is getting more and more curiouser as the season goes. I can't belief the rest of the Midwest or the rest of the country for that matter, hasn't caught on yet!
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
I felt the steering servo in III's car is to slow and was holding back my lap times. After Jeff drove it he felt the same way. My guess is with some practice and maybe a few set up changes (servo) we could see 20.XXX sec lap times from a pan car with a 5.4mm restrictor. These cars are right at home on the new surface. To give you a idea just how fast that really is here is link to the masters class a main from 2 weeks ago.

http://www.jlaprm.com/PC/Toledo/07_2...%20Masters.HTM
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #1850
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've never had a car that was this easy to get comfortable with. Pretty sure my best yesterday was 24.6...ish. Then I chunked a rear big time and it quickly dropped back a second or so. Also discovered that the reason my car loves the infield is that it needs more gear for the straight!

I Will be rectifying that situation, Mr. Mopar...

Quote:
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #1851
Tech Addict

Quote:
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
i hit 23.6 before removing 1 front arm. great traction , would be nice every week
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #1852
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lon, your stuff shipped today. Did you get my email about the motor?

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #1853
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Front Tires

Some of you have been using the Micro Systems 929 front tires that I had a few of. I am sold out and can't get more, but I am talking to VMR Racing(whose tires I import) and they have said they have a very similar front tire. I'll try to get some samples and if they work well, I will offer that as a replacement for the 929. I do carry 45 shore fronts, and they work fine, but I always like the pan car with an even harder front. You can view the VMR tires here http://www.motonica-usa.com/VMR.html

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #1854
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Lon, your stuff shipped today. Did you get my email about the motor?
You sent the email to me. I passed it along to my dad though.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #1855
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
You sent the email to me. I passed it along to my dad though.
God, the nepotism in this sport! The nepotism, I say!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #1856
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
you can be my bro, if you want
Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #1857
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
you can be my bro, if you want
AWWWW...thanks Joe!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #1858
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
I'm not going to lie. I had to google nepotism. lol
Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #1859
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I'm not going to lie. I had to google nepotism. lol
As long as you don't have to google google, you're ok!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #1860
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

selling a motonica p8 if anybody is interested under the for sale forum
ry_100 is offline   Reply With Quote