Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ned- I like the Killer B's name. I have been trying to come up with something that also includes Noah but have come up with nothing. Killer B's it shall be!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default hey

Originally Posted by aarcobra
[

And Ned...had the new/old MRP there to show. I'll drag it to Cincy so you can lay eyes on it, it's definitely the oldest thing outside of a heathkit that I've ever personally laid eyes on. The flywheel is so big that if you run out of rear rubber, you can run on it (and probably get better traction, too.) I'm still a little amazed there is such a good turnout for pan in such a short period of time, and there was a lot of good racing out there for them. I'm really looking forward to the GLC, I suspect there will be a lot of pan cars there, and they seem to be hooking up really well on that new asphalt. All in all, it was a pretty good day, but that drive home afterward is a real killer...
Phil, Although I really would like to have made it up to the club race(s) 600+ miles is just too much for me!! Talk about a killer drive....
Please do bring as much MRP stuff to Cinci for me to check out!! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have!! I really want to see the diff, need to find a better way to make them to use the new wheels...

The pan turnout has to do with one, hard working, dedicated, guy, Lon Sr. I think he just needed a little push last year to get the Motonica's back out and when Joe Patrick, Matt, and I started bench racing about how cool a vintage pan class would be, he flipped around to Modern Pans, and never looked back!!

Now he has to figure out how to get more interest the other Midwest Series clubs and then the WORLD!! Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

If there were a 2wd hall of fame I'd already be nominating Lon Sr. for it. If I didn't have my old stuff and a desire to build a new one from scratch, I'd probably have one of the motonicas as well. I see really good things coming out of this for a lot of people, an inexpensive (or relatively so) way to have fun.

I'm still thinking concrete blocks on any car with a driver under the age of 16...just to make it more fair....
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow what a turn out!! Looks like the Killer "B's" have it all together! Good runs for Farmer and Dave S. too! What happened to Rick and the Joes?

Is it finally over for the "GT" (Gigantic Truck) class? Did Sr. really dump a bunch of them as he sped by? lol
as for myself i thought my motor was dead, but the flywheel is the culprit as for joe t i think he lost a pinion. ricks car was too cool for words but a bent axle kinda shook things apart.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5italkart
as for myself i thought my motor was dead, but the flywheel is the culprit as for joe t i think he lost a pinion. ricks car was too cool for words but a bent axle kinda shook things apart.
Glad problems were not too serious for you guys. Would have liked to see how you two compared to Sr...

Tell me more about Rick's car!? Did he build a "cheater" ;-) ???
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

If there were a 2wd hall of fame I'd already be nominating Lon Sr. for it. If I didn't have my old stuff and a desire to build a new one from scratch, I'd probably have one of the motonicas as well. I see really good things coming out of this for a lot of people, an inexpensive (or relatively so) way to have fun.

I'm still thinking concrete blocks on any car with a driver under the age of 16...just to make it more fair....[/QUOTE]

I really am not sure how much the "modern" pan, w/adjustable suspension, buys you. Matt seems to be plenty competitive with the straight axle car. He only needs tokeep at it until he works out the bugs. From what I understand his dnf's are from set-up/maintanience stuff, not anything to do with the car design. He needs to switch over to the new tires, and not rely on the old ones.

Same with you. You seem to be competitive when you run the old pan. If I get enough parts for a whole MRP, I would certainly give it a try! Problem is not having any track time to work out issues and 600 mile drive to race... bummer
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default Ah...just a sec there

I'm still thinking concrete blocks on any car with a driver under the age of 16...just to make it more fair....
I really am not sure how much the "modern" pan, w/adjustable suspension, buys you. Matt seems to be plenty competitive with the straight axle car. He only needs tokeep at it until he works out the bugs. From what I understand his dnf's are from set-up/maintanience stuff, not anything to do with the car design. He needs to switch over to the new tires, and not rely on the old ones.

Same with you. You seem to be competitive when you run the old pan. If I get enough parts for a whole MRP, I would certainly give it a try! Problem is not having any track time to work out issues and 600 mile drive to race... bummer[/QUOTE]

Must've misread something...you don't have enough parts for a whole MRP?? Hell, I can fix that. Question is (and was, in my mind) what'll you do about gears because I know those things eat gears. Beyond that, if you want to run an MRP at the GLC, just say the word and I'll make it happen.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All I know is 24+ hours later, still smiling....
Old 07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
All I know is 24+ hours later, still smiling....
Be careful John, when you smile for that long poeple will start to think you are up to something!!!

I'm glad you are enjoying the opportunity to race the original and still the best form of RC Car racing: One-Eighth Scale Gas/On-Road! I may be partial since I was around from the beginning...but I've tried them all and speak with some experience! The Toledo Club is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you going to Cinci?

Ned
Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Be careful John, when you smile for that long poeple will start to think you are up to something!!!

I'm glad you are enjoying the opportunity to race the original and still the best form of RC Car racing: One-Eighth Scale Gas/On-Road! I may be partial since I was around from the beginning...but I've tried them all and speak with some experience! The Toledo Club is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you going to Cinci?

Ned
I most likely will not. Love to, but two weekend getaways that don't involve SWMBO (she who must be obeyed if you're keeping score) would not be good. The GLC will be it for non club racing this month!

But I do believe you're right. Most of the racers I've met over the last decade and a half have been less than welcoming in comparison to the reception I've received in Toledo. Great bunch of guys.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

[
Must've misread something...you don't have enough parts for a whole MRP?? Hell, I can fix that. Question is (and was, in my mind) what'll you do about gears because I know those things eat gears. Beyond that, if you want to run an MRP at the GLC, just say the word and I'll make it happen.[/QUOTE]

The MRP car I have been working on was an electric conversion they made for promotions, I think. I've seen a number of them set-up with a Rick Mears Indy car body and electric stuff. I have been able to get it pretty much converted back to gas but have no spares at all and need to mount the radio yet. Not sure I want to risk the front end as it is the only one I have and I definately want one for my museum!!
I don't recall any problems with eating gears. Maybe guys had problems if they didn't tighten the motor. There was a little plastic shim used to keep the motor from sliding away from the rear axle, but I seldom used it. May make one out of metal 'cause you are scaring me!!!!

I'm using an Associated rear axle and diff 'cause the electric car didn't come with a diff. I've got a few Associated spurs but hate to use them up. I'm looking for gears online that I can modify....
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

[
Must've misread something...you don't have enough parts for a whole MRP?? Hell, I can fix that. Question is (and was, in my mind) what'll you do about gears because I know those things eat gears. Beyond that, if you want to run an MRP at the GLC, just say the word and I'll make it happen.
The MRP car I have been working on was an electric conversion they made for promotions, I think. I've seen a number of them set-up with a Rick Mears Indy car body and electric stuff. I have been able to get it pretty much converted back to gas but have no spares at all and need to mount the radio yet. Not sure I want to risk the front end as it is the only one I have and I definately want one for my museum!!
I don't recall any problems with eating gears. Maybe guys had problems if they didn't tighten the motor. There was a little plastic shim used to keep the motor from sliding away from the rear axle, but I seldom used it. May make one out of metal 'cause you are scaring me!!!!

I'm using an Associated rear axle and diff 'cause the electric car didn't come with a diff. I've got a few Associated spurs but hate to use them up. I'm looking for gears online that I can modify....[/QUOTE]

I now have a total of three MRP's. The one I just got, definitely shelf material. Beyond that I have two complete chassis w/diff and one chassis, no rear axle. If you want to buy one, we'll discuss that, and if you just want to borrow one to race, you're welcome to it, return it when you're done.

The two things that made it eat gears were tires and engine...if the engine moves and if the tires wear too low. I have a total of three spare gears, 60t, and that's all. I'm supposed to make a trip (one of these days) over to a shop to see about getting some more gears made but until then, that's the complete inventory. I've got several servo trays and a bunch of the old metal style fuel tanks as well, some wings, etc. Hey, if you drive an MRP at the GLC, and we talk Rick into running his 300, and I have my "J", we'll pretty much have the big three represented. How's that for rolling history?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default I GOT CLASS, I mean glass.

III was testing a fiberglass chassis and it looked real good. Noah is now set up with one too. They were fun to make and seem so right. My new car might have to go glass too! (Can't let the kids get the upper hand!-)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
III was testing a fiberglass chassis and it looked real good. Noah is now set up with one too. They were fun to make and seem so right. My new car might have to go glass too! (Can't let the kids get the upper hand!-)
I will 2nd the motion on the floor. Lon's car looked more planted and with the small amount of bumps I think all that flex is over rated now. His car felt pushy to me and it normaly is a battle to get steering out of the car for us. I normaly have Lon Dope the full rear tires and don't touch the fronts. After round one Lon suggested not doping the the car at all and went faster so I think he is done doping tires for now. Lon III did lay down the fast lap in the main for the killer B's.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.jlaprm.com/PC/Toledo/07_2...%20-%20Pan.HTM

Results are posted. Lon III had the 2nd fastest lap in the main. Rick Davis laid one down before his axle went all boomarang on him.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Default For the record!

I think I see III has the fast lap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.