R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #1636
Tech Regular

MRP car will kick a Delta Super J's ass in every way except a head on collision.I do not understand the gear problem you talk of. When Ned gets his Pro-180 going, look out!! It's fun having you around! GOOD RACING!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #1637
Tech Regular

Default Wet day

Before the rain. Matt looked real good, his clutch problems seemly behind him and finding good tires the next problem. Still he looked strong till his radio took him into the wall. If it isn't one thing, it's another.
Mean while my Grandson was testing a 5.4mm resistor (next size down is no hole), it looked very good speed wise and should get some good fuel mileage too.
My buddy,Brent brought me some old 1/8th bodies that he picked up at a 1/4 scale race. All used, but I'm going to try and mount one for our July 1st race. Thanks Brent, you are to cool for words, so here are some #563827788!
Looking like our first resurfaced race well also be our 1st with GT bodies. Be aware, the GT body is not going to work as well as CanAm. Anyone have a problem with this? We have a fair amount of run time with the GT body and it does pretty good, the fun factor will go up with them. Still I wish we were able to get some of the older bodies.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #1638
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

You guys gotta post some pics!......................
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #1639
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Uh huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
MRP car will kick a Delta Super J's ass in every way except a head on collision.I do not understand the gear problem you talk of. When Ned gets his Pro-180 going, look out!! It's fun having you around! GOOD RACING!!
Hmm...we've GOT to get Ned to come up soon, this I gotta see. I used to be pretty wicked with a J and would like that matchup...lol.

Nah, really, way back MRP had gear probs. Even our local MRP hack, Keith Warnick, had problems with it...fr instance, the spur rides BELOW the chassis, and sometimes by the end of the main, he was getting more acceleration off the gear rather than the tires. And two bolts to hold the engine down? Two?? Meh. Don't get me wrong, in good hands, the thing doesn't do badly and can pump out serious laps....however....

I used to be fairly good at this thing of ours. I used to be able to hold my own against the likes of Jack Mueller....you drive a few thousand laps and eventually you get good at something. That said, I've had a few...ah....oopsies on the track, and usually when I do, they're good ones. Yeah, this happens to everyone eventually but you can't win a race if you can't finish a race, and the J is the most forgiving (or holds the least grudge) car I ever ran. The damn thing just won't die. My experience with that car literally changed my life and affected my time in the Navy and what we do in the shop....build it fast and solid, then tear it down and make it MORE solid, then go out and do battle. Whenever I've built something that will outlast me and three succeeding generations of ijits like me, I call it "Delta-fied" and will cheerfully ride it to the nether regions and back with flame broiled taste, hold the pickles.

If MRP had two little changes...get that gear off the deck and mount the engine just a little better, it'd hold. I appreciated it for the cost, I don't think anyone ever made a cheaper to buy product. It was very light, it had excellent balance, great handling, and was a simple build that even the most mechanically inept person could get consistent performance out of, but it wasn't designed to be a tank and sometimes you need a tank.

Anyhow, I now seem to be the owner of three of the things, along with four more Super J's (think I have seven of those now) which officially takes me from a collector/enthusiast to someone who clearly either has too much money or no common sense. I'm running out of room for other semi-important things, like furniture, so I'll get some of them cleaned up and shipped out the door but I'll bring a few items up with me on the 1st so people can have a look, and I'm thinking of putting a table up at the GLC with some of the "museum" so people can see how it used to be done. I could display a P4, P2, Super Eagle, Super J, Thorpe and MRP, so if someone kicked in an Associated or two, it'd be a good representation of the progress of the hobby over the years...a little history for those who've read about the stuff and seen pics but not seen the actual article.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #1640
Tech Addict

Quote:
Before the rain. Matt looked real good, his clutch problems seemly behind him and finding good tires the next problem. Still he looked strong till his radio took him into the wall. If it isn't one thing, it's another.
Mean while my Grandson was testing a 5.4mm resistor (next size down is no hole), it looked very good speed wise and should get some good fuel mileage too.
My buddy,Brent brought me some old 1/8th bodies that he picked up at a 1/4 scale race. All used, but I'm going to try and mount one for our July 1st race. Thanks Brent, you are to cool for words, so here are some #563827788!
Looking like our first resurfaced race well also be our 1st with GT bodies. Be aware, the GT body is not going to work as well as CanAm. Anyone have a problem with this? We have a fair amount of run time with the GT body and it does pretty good, the fun factor will go up with them. Still I wish we were able to get some of the older bodies.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
do we have a firm track teardown date? think we should stop our day real early too get started, i have too leave no later than 6pm
Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #1641
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
do we have a firm track teardown date? think we should stop our day real early too get started, i have too leave no later than 6pm
So far I think it might be the first.

thats the last date i heard.

unless something comes up sooner
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #1642
Tech Master

Quote:
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
.starting to think its the ANCIENT Futaba servos..gonna change the servos and go for a test Thursday morning......
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #1643
Tech Master

Quote:
.yes ......after next club race.....I thought Ted said run 2 qualifiers only ....then the mains....then its teardown time....bring your Metabo you lazy Canuck.....................we're not unbolting CRAP...we're cuttin em all.......
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #1644
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
Anyhow, I now seem to be the owner of three of the things, along with four more Super J's (think I have seven of those now) which officially takes me from a collector/enthusiast to someone who clearly either has too much money or no common sense. I'm running out of room for other semi-important things, like furniture, so I'll get some of them cleaned up and shipped out the door but I'll bring a few items up with me on the 1st so people can have a look, and I'm thinking of putting a table up at the GLC with some of the "museum" so people can see how it used to be done. I could display a P4, P2, Super Eagle, Super J, Thorpe and MRP, so if someone kicked in an Associated or two, it'd be a good representation of the progress of the hobby over the years...a little history for those who've read about the stuff and seen pics but not seen the actual article.
Your investment is sound, there is sickening ebay money out there for those cars if you get tired of them...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #1645
Tech Addict

Quote:
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Ah...question. Am I reading right, we have to have GT bodies for the pan cars????
Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #1646
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Your investment is sound, there is sickening ebay money out there for those cars if you get tired of them...
I wouldn't have a clue. I have a fair idea what Delta is worth, having kept track of them and sold a few myself. For example, I know that a Delta sold by a former team driver in tip top shape is worth more than one dug out of a basement by whoever, but it can be fluky too, depending on who is looking to buy at the time. When it comes to MRP, however, I don't have a freaking clue as to what they are worth...no idea whatsoever. What I do know is I really don't believe in "shelf queens." I like mine in running condition, and for me, I either want to run them or make them go away so someone else can get the benefit of them. Since I don't have diddly for spares for the MRP (tho I could probably machine some parts and keep them going awhile) they will definitely go on the chopping block once they are prepped. The P2's will go as well since I already have one of those. And I got a Serpent Excel in the bunch, missing a few parts, which will head out since I have neither the parts nor the inclination as I'm picking up a distributorship for Edam (who now has a 1/8 RTR with rubber tires, 4wd 2 speed for 250 bucks my cost, thinking of grabbing one or two for newbies who can practice anywhere on the rubber, then convert over to foam for the track and WHY CAN'T WE USE RUBBER INSTEAD OF FOAM.)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #1647
Tech Addict

Default bods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
Ah...question. Am I reading right, we have to have GT bodies for the pan cars????
when we first got our p8c's they came with a cool gt/touring body. we have been using the can am/sports car style for ease of pitting. however too keep it fun we plan on alternating between the 2. you will certainly not be turned away with a diff. body
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #1648
Tech Addict

Default Much relief

Quote:
when we first got our p8c's they came with a cool gt/touring body. we have been using the can am/sports car style for ease of pitting. however too keep it fun we plan on alternating between the 2. you will certainly not be turned away with a diff. body
I do have a GT body that never got mounted or cut, but I lack the posts needs to mount the thing and I'd have to fabricate some. I'm already far enough behind in what I'm supposed to be doing as it is, so many thanx for that info.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #1649
Tech Master

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4847784...in/photostream
guy has a nice photo collection
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #1650
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Quote:
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
In case I forgot to mention it (and I'm sure I did,) that one grandson of yours is getting good and wicked fast. He was driving a ridiculously clean line at Portage as I recall...let's hear it for young reflexes.