Tech Adept

Default available 3-Port Motors

I found these 3-port motors on A-Main hobbies web site:

Max Power 3-port-$214.99
RB Junior 9 3-Port-$184.99
Siro CL3B 3-Port-$199.99
Novarossi N21BF 3-Port-$149.99
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-mxp21racer3p.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-rbc01009-j9.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-sirs21cl3b.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-fmsn21bf-limited.jpg  
djmachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If I am not mistaken, the N21BF is intended for off road use, not sure about the others. I suppose it could work well for this application. I have one NIB that is eventually going to go in my buggy, but I might try it in my 2wd.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #153
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
If I am not mistaken, the N21BF is intended for off road use, not sure about the others. I suppose it could work well for this application. I have one NIB that is eventually going to go in my buggy, but I might try it in my 2wd.
Garen,
Yes, they are all Off-Road engines. Most of the 3-port 21 offerings are Off-road engines these days. Novarossi has the N21T3 which is an onroad engine.
The Off-road engines should work fine, the powerband on these engines is very smooth by design. We could open this up to some of the low cost 5 & 7 port engines such as the Novarossi N21T5 and the RB Classico 9. These engines have a street price around $250.00. However we need to drawn the line somewhere to prevent someone from running a Nova Flash 21 type motor.

Dale

PS. Are you coming to the "Gulf Coast Grandprix" this weekend in Houston?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #154
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I like to keep rules as simple and open as possible within the spirit of the class so how about this for engines:

You can run any .21 you want and do whatever you want to it except for the following:

1. Steel bearings, no ceramics.

2. No slug balanced cranks.

That will pretty well limit you to the less expensive motors.

Last edited by wingracer; 11-03-2009 at 11:16 AM.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #155
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

How about this:
Interested classic racers purchase the chassis of there choice, electronics, and pipe. Then the race organizer supplies the hand-out spec engines. That way everybody runs the same powerplant, and the drivers skill wins the race.
Not flaming this class.. I know this would work.
I think if someone dropped a 35+21 motor in a 2wd car, they may be shooting themselves in the foot. Rear wheel cars don't pull out the corners like their 4wd brothers.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #156
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogboneS View Post
How about this:
Interested classic racers purchase the chassis of there choice, electronics, and pipe. Then the race organizer supplies the hand-out spec engines. That way everybody runs the same powerplant, and the drivers skill wins the race.
Not flaming this class.. I know this would work.
I think if someone dropped a 35+21 motor in a 2wd car, they may be shooting themselves in the foot. Rear wheel cars don't pull out the corners like their 4wd brothers.
Hm....lets see...15 ea. .21 engines @ say $200.00 per engine= $3000.00.
so the host club springs for the cost of the engines? No, I think each racer will need to supply their on engine.

Dale
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Withstanding a proper build and test of one of these cars, I can not imagine a Flash or 35+21 type motor would be an advantage. More than likely it would be a complete disadvantage.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #158
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I like to keep rules as simple and open as possible within the spirit of the class so how about this for engines:

You can run any .21 you want and do whatever you want to it except for the following:

1. Steel bearings, no ceramics.

2. No slug balanced cranks.

That will pretty well limit you to the less expensive motors.
Yeah, I like this approach, I would add :

3. flat top Pistons only.
4. Maximum of 7-port sleeves.

Most of the low cost 5 & 7 port engines are flat top pistons. The RB Classico 9 is a flat top piston, 7 port sleeve. I have tried this engine as a practice engine in my MRX4-X 4wd car. A Medium power engine at best. Perfect for this class. The Classico 9 was actually design for this class of car in France.

I think "Dogbones" was right about you have to be insane to put a 9-port
35+21 or Flash 21 in one of these cars.

Dale
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #159
Tech Lord

Yeah I was thinking about flat tops, pretty much all of the Nova budget motors use flat tops. I just wasn't sure about Picco or Sirio, etc. I didn't want to exclude a good budget motor from one of them but if all their budget motors are flat top, that will work.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #160
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Yeah I was thinking about flat tops, pretty much all of the Nova budget motors use flat tops. I just wasn't sure about Picco or Sirio, etc. I didn't want to exclude a good budget motor from one of them but if all their budget motors are flat top, that will work.
Yeah, we will need to check out the other brands and make sure we are not excluding any engine within the spirit of the to be proposed rules.

RB Classico 9 7-port engine around $250.00 at A-main or Tower. Ashford might be able to get these also.
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-rbc01009-classico9.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #161
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Going for a Novarossi made engine it is simple to change the P/S set or just only the crankshaft to make it faster. Why not going for a SH or Force engine, some 3 port onroad engines can be found for under the 100 bucks and do not fit other brands faster parts.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #162
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Going for a Novarossi made engine it is simple to change the P/S set or just only the crankshaft to make it faster. Why not going for a SH or Force engine, some 3 port onroad engines can be found for under the 100 bucks and do not fit other brands faster parts.
Two reasons:

1. I like Nova motors and would not want to see them excluded.

2. If you prohibit domed/dished pistons and slug balanced crankshafts, that will exclude all the expensive engine parts. Sure a Flash P/S and crank might fit, but it's not legal and easy to tech. Just pull the head and backplate and take a look.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #163
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Well yes, a NR mill is a good choice and I do love them to although I have doubts about the current quality.

Checking these engines will take a lot of time en efford. I looks better to let it go and let the driver make the choice of engine. If it is all about 2wd with a poor suspension then a high power engine wil not help making fast laptimes.

Last EFRA GP in La Turbie (Monaco) the winner was running an OPS engine but the guy with pole position was running a MAX XL9 engine, it seems the car is already an equalizer with any engine.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #164
Tech Lord

I have no problem with allowing any motor. I will run cheap motors and kick ass with them so it wont bother me if others decide to go full bore with them. I just think it might make the class even more appealing to some if cheap motors were not only desirable but required. I could go either way.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think the 3port restriction is the better way to go to keep it more attractive to budget racers/newbies due to price.

Sure you can mod motor...but I dont think most would make the effort to cheat in a spec class at club races. Usually the people that do are way off the pace anyway and more power doesnt solve their problems..ha!

It would be nice if this class gets some interest for next season...could be great way to get new or formerly retired racers to the track.

Jamie
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote