R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #1591
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.i was running aluminum shoes........the bell was a really old 11 tooth ( even Davis couldn't identify it)........the bell wore thin and finally exploded...................i have a 12 tooth that im going to try.......hopefully the new clutch and bell with smooth out the bottom end....we'll see.........
How/where are you getting 11 and 12 tooth bells that will fit modern clutches? I've never seen how the bearings would fit...
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #1592
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
How/where are you getting 11 and 12 tooth bells that will fit modern clutches? I've never seen how the bearings would fit...
..........the 11T bell i had was able to take flanged bearings..(forgot the size)........it had the same diameter as late model bells..........ive seen some of the older 11t bells that use a needle bearing instead.....ill post pic of exploded bell later
heres a 11t bell for a thunder tiger ducati...wonder if this one would work...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXALBF&P=7
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1593
Tech Regular

Ned, what is this quitting thing?? Unacceptable - the club "One Eighth Racers" not One Eighth Hobbiest is about to spend 10's of $1,000's of dollars on new asphalts so the pan car guys do not look like Froggers - hopp -pping around the track.

It would be great if you could be around and scream your Monkey, but you are right the bench racing is just as important, if not more important than what happens on the track. The main goal is to have fun and visit with fellow racers. Then every once in a while, scream the monkey.

Maybe your issue is your car, as my buddy Raye would say it has to be those French Surrender Monkeys that has caused you to quit. The new track asphalt will allow you to put back on the extra aero stuff from your Frenchie car.

Life's short, no quitting until you can't get up and down off the drivers stand. Then it is time to just bench race.
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1594
Tech Master

Default Good Find!

Quote:
..........the 11T bell i had was able to take flanged bearings..(forgot the size)........it had the same diameter as late model bells..........ive seen some of the older 11t bells that use a needle bearing instead.....ill post pic of exploded bell later
heres a 11t bell for a thunder tiger ducati...wonder if this one would work...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXALBF&P=7
That clutch bell from the Ducati looks like a possibility! As I recall the assoc and mrp both could use needle or ball. the assoc somtimes used three, two flanged and one un flanged between them. The needles were cheaper I think and if you lubed them they lasted a long time, like the thrust bearings on the centax type clutches.
Back to the 11/12 tooth stuff: I couldn't find bearings that would fit the old clutch bells (SAE) and the engine shafts (Metric). I ground down the crank on the old Nova I'm using in my 300 so it fit the "inch" bearings like the bell. Maybe the Ducati bell and the one you wore out are metric.... When you say "same dia as the late model bells" I can't see how you can get the bearings from a Motonica clutch into an 11 tooth gear, the bearing is larger than the gear???? I'm missing something..........
Old 06-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #1595
Tech Master

Quote:
That clutch bell from the Ducati looks like a possibility! As I recall the assoc and mrp both could use needle or ball. the assoc somtimes used three, two flanged and one un flanged between them. The needles were cheaper I think and if you lubed them they lasted a long time, like the thrust bearings on the centax type clutches.
Back to the 11/12 tooth stuff: I couldn't find bearings that would fit the old clutch bells (SAE) and the engine shafts (Metric). I ground down the crank on the old Nova I'm using in my 300 so it fit the "inch" bearings like the bell. Maybe the Ducati bell and the one you wore out are metric.... When you say "same dia as the late model bells" I can't see how you can get the bearings from a Motonica clutch into an 11 tooth gear, the bearing is larger than the gear???? I'm missing something..........
what do you mean bearings from a Motonica clutch?...the Motonica uses a standard off road-type bell...i'm missing something......pics later tonight
Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #1596
Tech Master

Default Thanks (I think ;-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPHamer View Post
Ned, what is this quitting thing?? Unacceptable - the club "One Eighth Racers" not One Eighth Hobbiest is about to spend 10's of $1,000's of dollars on new asphalts so the pan car guys do not look like Froggers - hopp -pping around the track.

It would be great if you could be around and scream your Monkey, but you are right the bench racing is just as important, if not more important than what happens on the track. The main goal is to have fun and visit with fellow racers. Then every once in a while, scream the monkey.

Maybe your issue is your car, as my buddy Raye would say it has to be those French Surrender Monkeys that has caused you to quit. The new track asphalt will allow you to put back on the extra aero stuff from your Frenchie car.

Life's short, no quitting until you can't get up and down off the drivers stand. Then it is time to just bench race.
Ted, Thanks for the "pep talk" (I think!) Not the money. Not the car. It's the travel, my poor performance to date, and lack of enjoyment on the track.
I don't think that bench racing is more improtant that track racing at all. This whole thing is about RACING. Some of us are better at different things and enjoy different thing to different degrees...enough-we're all different!

The frenchy car is fine. I just lack track time with it and motivation to go faster. Heck I can usually beat half the guys by just finishing! Always could! I get to a comfort level, decide the car is fun to run at that speed and drive!!! I never had time to tinker with a car the way you guys do now. I was building them for others, writing newsletters and keeping track of points etc. We had an open class and super stock, I ran both, my wife ran open. Put fuel in it and run it!!!!!!!!!!

Hope the repaving works out. Should be a BIG improvement!!

By the way, if you want to turn loose of some frequent flyer miles, so I don't have to drive all the way up there and you'll store my car...on second thought, just the miles will be fine! ;-)
ned
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1597
Tech Master

Quote:
what do you mean bearings from a Motonica clutch?...the Motonica uses a standard off road-type bell...i'm missing something......pics later tonight
Standard? maybe ID size but the gear screws on. Maybe my off road stuff is old but most have the gear permanently mounted on the bell and are nowhere near 11/12 teeth, more like 14?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #1598
Tech Master

Quote:
Standard? maybe ID size but the gear screws on. Maybe my off road stuff is old but most have the gear permanently mounted on the bell and are nowhere near 11/12 teeth, more like 14?
...........i looked at Joe P's bell and it looked like a regular off road 1 piece bell/spur gear???......does the French Fry car have a centax type clutch??

the bearings in my bell are 5X8X2.5mm...........
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rm/aaa2001.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rm/aaa2002.jpg
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #1599
Tech Master

Quote:
...........i looked at Joe P's bell and it looked like a regular off road 1 piece bell/spur gear???......does the French Fry car have a centax type clutch??

the bearings in my bell are 5X8X2.5mm...........
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rm/aaa2001.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rm/aaa2002.jpg
What a confusing subject! Joe may have a different clutch set up than my Motonica or Lon's fleet (or my FF, I have a Moto clutch in it too!) They have screw on gears which are only available from 15t up. The ID and spacing may allow "std" off road type bells to fit but I can't find any 12t except Losi. I will check out the fit tomorrow if I get a chance.

What is the gold bell in the pic? 12t? If it fits the Moto set-up, I'll get another one from Garen and use that! Looks great...

I have some "plastic" off road clutch shoes, but don't know where they came from! Metal against metal=not to good!

Thanks for the pics and info!!
ned
Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #1600
Tech Master

Quote:
What a confusing subject! Joe may have a different clutch set up than my Motonica or Lon's fleet (or my FF, I have a Moto clutch in it too!) They have screw on gears which are only available from 15t up. The ID and spacing may allow "std" off road type bells to fit but I can't find any 12t except Losi. I will check out the fit tomorrow if I get a chance.

What is the gold bell in the pic? 12t? If it fits the Moto set-up, I'll get another one from Garen and use that! Looks great...

I have some "plastic" off road clutch shoes, but don't know where they came from! Metal against metal=not to good!

Thanks for the pics and info!!
ned
...Ned, its a racers edge bell
http://www.racers-edge.com/12_tooth_...p/rce10462.htm
Does Joe P's Motonica bell have screw on gears like a centax type???...i thought it was 1 piece???...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #1601
Tech Master

Quote:
...Ned, its a racers edge bell
http://www.racers-edge.com/12_tooth_...p/rce10462.htm
Does Joe P's Motonica bell have screw on gears like a centax type???...i thought it was 1 piece???...
Don't know. I never looked. but all the other ones I've seen are....
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #1602
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Motonica bell does allow the pinion gear to be installed/removed.
OFNA once had a 12T off road bell that used 5x10 bearings, not sure if they still do, but they likely still have 12T bells that use 5x8 flanged bearings.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #1603
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
The Motonica bell does allow the pinion gear to be installed/removed.
OFNA once had a 12T off road bell that used 5x10 bearings, not sure if they still do, but they likely still have 12T bells that use 5x8 flanged bearings.
Thanks for the clarification, Garen! I think the best solution for the "Vintage Pans" might be the Ofna/Racer's Edge 12 tooth bells on the Motonica flywheel assembly, with 5x8 bearings. I'm gonna try to fit one up soon. Do you have flywheels etc. in stock?

Thanks,
ned
Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #1604
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Garen! I think the best solution for the "Vintage Pans" might be the Ofna/Racer's Edge 12 tooth bells on the Motonica flywheel assembly, with 5x8 bearings. I'm gonna try to fit one up soon. Do you have flywheels etc. in stock?

Thanks,
ned
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-10398-C...item3f0adc11d2
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1605
HKC
Tech Rookie

hi,

this week raced the French championship round 4 at La Turbie next Monaco
(sorry i can't post link..)

i run with a Motonica P8C (first) with picco P7R evo 4 and Mugen cyntax..

and the same P8C but with mamba monster max and 2200kv....

by
HKC is offline   Reply With Quote