Wiki Posts
Search

RS4

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default RS4

Getting a used RS4 needs a motor and radio. any advice on the motor and any good hopups or things I should know.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Before the tsunami of replies start, I suggest you elaborate more on what the car has already and what you are planning to do with it ie...drag race, parking lot bash/race, club race, etc. Pictures are always a good way of letting know what your car has and/or needs even if you don't know yourself.

with that said....I'll start off with saying which generation RS4 is it.
Get the Picco JL EvoRed dot .12 engine, you can't go wrong with this engine and it has a new low price.

http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.co...p?prod=51124-3
Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Well I will get pics as soon as it gets here it is on a usps truck somewhere right now. I like the motor as I am a picco or novarossi guy. I am just going to parkinglot bash with it right now as I know of no places nearby that race them. I will most likely use a dx3s for the radio. I know it has a two speed in it and I think it is a race 2 or something like that. Thanks for your help guys I am a MT guy but I wanted this to play with and for 25 bucks how can you say no.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Depending on which generation car it is, it may have fixed length "dogbones" instead of threaded turnbuckles for camber and toe. I had both fixed and adjustable versions of the car and the adjustable car was able to be set to minimize tire wear, and improve handling.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ
Well I will get pics as soon as it gets here it is on a usps truck somewhere right now. I like the motor as I am a picco or novarossi guy. I am just going to parkinglot bash with it right now as I know of no places nearby that race them. I will most likely use a dx3s for the radio. I know it has a two speed in it and I think it is a race 2 or something like that. Thanks for your help guys I am a MT guy but I wanted this to play with and for 25 bucks how can you say no.

It was called a racer 2....it was the last version of the Rs4 series and had a host of goodies on it. Post a pic when you get it, lets take a look...

and we would stick with a lower HP motor....These chassis's were designed with 1 hp motors in mind....

You can see our racer 2 chassis's here..
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fastharry,

Don't forget that whatever engine they get, it should be a threaded shaft one. Remember, the car was set up for thread shaft use and if you use a SG shaft engine, you have to mod the car a little (because the SG shaft is short, thus making the alignment of the clutchbell and transmission gears off by a bit).
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Where in South Jersey are you located? There is an AWESOME onroad track located at New Castle, DE, about an hour from cherry hill / voorhees area. (Check out www.bluediamondpark.com, or the blue diamond onroad thread in racing forums, http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...e-all-out.html).

I am there every weekend and there's a few guys from South Jersey who is a regular as well.

If that's too much of a drive for you, there's an onroad racing program right AT south jersey. It is called SJCCR. Go to www.sixfoottiger.com, or PM user Ray Murray in this forum for further info.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What could go wrong with using high horse power engines in the car? just wondering as i have one that i kind of want to make raceable-ish
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

My cousin used to race one with a Orion CRF motor until he switched to a G4S.

I've heard that bevel / ring gears can be a little on the weak side on earlier RS4-3's. Plus it is best to stay clear of other cars and the boards since the upper i-link / lower H arm configuration is inherently weaker than the pivot ball suspensions most nitro sedans use these days. Other than that... not much.

My cousin had used hot bodies centax clutch to fit his motor since the stock one was not designed for SG cranks. I think it can be found pretty cheap these days though.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

The older chassis and belts were designed to handle the higher torque of the newer more powerful engines. Like someone else mentioned already...the turnbuckles often came off and the dogbones would pop out. Mods can be made/addes to fix this, but as is, putting too much stress on the transmission and drive train(think stripped gears) with a more powerful engine would not be good for "ole bessy"
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Not sure if this company still makes upgrades for the RS4 2 but their site is still up:

http://www.megatech.com/hpi_nitro_rs4.html

They have/had a slew of purple goodness
Old 10-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ouch, at those prices i dont think its even worth it...unless its also available somewhere else cheaper.

btw i have the older RS4-2

i never ever ever ever ever had any issues with my drive train or parts breaking. i only kept having the engine come loose, no matter how much i would lock tite it ( guess oil in there kept it from bonding)

maybe if i come into a used motor and pipe for it, i'll go ahead and give it a shot.
or what if i snagged my TRX 2.5 from my nitro rustler? would that be a drop in?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Any .12 to .18 should be a drop in...but like the guys said it needs to be a standard style crankshaft, not the SG style or else you have some modding to do.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default rs4

Iv'e got rs4 1 and 2 racer that Iv'e been bashing and racing for years. One problem with these cars are that small rock will eat up your belts and gears also high hp engines will eat up the diff shaft
Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

I would advise you to consider trying to get your money back. Those cars are discontinued and are very hard to find parts for. I've owned a HPI RS4-2 for 9 years and now I'm experiencing problems in finding the basic parts such as, belts, pulleys, gears and arms.

If you don't believe me here's some pictures of my smashed car ...
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5160/img2986rn.jpg
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5294/img2988b.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6/img2987m.jpg

You wouldn't mind selling your to me would you ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.