Which Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Which Radio?

Need help in choosing radio. Here are my choices:
1. futaba 3pk
2. ko helios

who has one and what can you say about it? I went to our LHS and both feel ok on my hands. And both have almost the same price. Or should I get their old versions i.e. futaba 3pj super or ko mars R.
thnx
Old 11-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Which Radio?

All the radios that you mentioned are very good radios. You can't go wrong with either. I guess the choice now boils down to if you need the fail safe feature which is important when you run nitro and especially if you run your car in a public track where glitches are bound to happen. The only radio among the ones you listed that would give you the fail safe feature is the 3PK. Of course, with the other radios, you could run an external fail safe device...

If you need to run HRS mode (this negates the option of running analog servos) for faster servo response (for what it's worth), then I would think only the 3PK, Helios and the Mars R would be able to do it for you. My 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Which Radio?

Originally posted by penggoy
Need help in choosing radio. Here are my choices:
1. futaba 3pk
2. ko helios

who has one and what can you say about it? I went to our LHS and both feel ok on my hands. And both have almost the same price. Or should I get their old versions i.e. futaba 3pj super or ko mars R.
thnx
JR R-1
Old 11-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Which Radio?

Originally posted by eddiethefish
JR R-1
nah I dont like R-1. Its a good radio but I dont like the way it feels on my hand. I tried that one too on my LHS. Besides I had an xr3 and both have similar feel.

Initial D
you mean I have to use digital servos on 3PK to have fast servo response unlike Helios.

Last edited by penggoy; 11-27-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm struggling between the two units mentioned above too...

I just sold my 3pjs. I loved it...but i want something where the wheel could be dropped to a lower position. I believe the helios is more expensive considering that you have to purchase seperately the drop down wheel.

However, on the helios - you can tilt or angle the wheel sideways as well up and down! That's pretty cool! I believe the only radio that offers that option.

On the other hand, the 3pk feels better in the hand. I like the rubber grip. The screen is bigger...but the unit looks bulkier and like D said, it's got PCM.

What about the M8 backlite vesion with the novack xxtra and synthesized receiver? I think that may end up costing more...

Choices...choices...sigh...
Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

since we are on this topic...

Just what is soo good about the M8 anyways besides the fact that you can get the Novak synthesized accessories for it...? I held it once..it's got plastic all around - grip isn't contoured to fit you hand? Maybe it just looks good? hehe..

Also...AM or FM? I've heard mixed opinions.

G
Old 11-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by loosenut
since we are on this topic...

Just what is soo good about the M8 anyways besides the fact that you can get the Novak synthesized accessories for it...
G
you can also get novak synthesized for 3PK. And I think, correct me if I'm wrong, you can also use Hitec synthesized module. But all those cost $$$.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

not as reliable as the m8 though...I heard there's more gliches and it runs hot.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Prophet

I just sold my 3pjs. I loved it...but i want something where the wheel could be dropped to a lower position. I believe the helios is more expensive considering that you have to purchase seperately the drop down wheel.
The 3PK comes with the optional drop down / extender unit. At least the one I got has one packed in.

However, on the helios - you can tilt or angle the wheel sideways as well up and down! That's pretty cool! I believe the only radio that offers that option.
I don't know how the Helios works but you can mount the extender / drop down unit on the 3PK at different positions i.e. side ways, up or down. You can even mount the wheel for a leftie which is pretty unique.

What about the M8 backlite vesion with the novack xxtra and synthesized receiver? I think that may end up costing more...
I guess they will... Besides, if you go with the Novak XXtra, the receiver unit is pretty huge. Bear in mind that not all cars can accomodate this especially newer cars like the G4 where the receiver mounting area is pretty limited.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Which Radio?

Initial D
you mean I have to use digital servos on 3PK to have fast servo response unlike Helios.
I believe the Helios uses the same kind of High Response System Receiver (HRS) unit as can be found on the 3PK with the R203HF HRS receiver.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Just what is soo good about the M8 anyways besides the fact that you can get the Novak synthesized accessories for it...? I held it once..it's got plastic all around - grip isn't contoured to fit you hand? Maybe it just looks good? hehe..
I guess a lot of pros use them and since they were around for sometime, a lot of pros tend to stick to them... Hence their popularity.

Also...AM or FM? I've heard mixed opinions.
It runs native on FM. I believe you can also purchase AM modules for the M8.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The KO Helios is the radio to get.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
The KO Helios is the radio to get.
but the rx that it comes with only uses digital servos, right or wrong?
Old 11-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

yea, I realize that the 3pk comes with the wheel drop down opition. What I was saying with the Helios is that you have to buy it seperate BUT not only does it drop down, it can angle as well. Don't know how to explain it.

I don't think you need to use digital servos with teh helios to get the high response.

G
Old 11-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

but the rx that it comes with only uses digital servos, right or wrong?
Wrong..there is a switch under the module that puts it either in Hi res on regular res.If you run non digital,just switch to normal and you can run them fine.Dont waste your money with the 3pk..POS...George,buy the helios.I have it and I was a Firm believer in my M8 with novak switch,not anymore!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.