Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1/10 Nitro RTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best 1/10 Nitro RTR

okay guys help me out. I want a 1/10 Nitro RTR. I am not yet prepared to go the Evolva, xray super car route yet.

I need a good rtr that I can upgrade, has durability and will race well in club races with these kind of cars.

I was told the Ofna CD3 was good and has some good durability. What others are good and what are the benefits of each?

Which one has the better out of the box motor, tranny, brakes, chassis adjustments and which will take an engine upgrade easier?

Thanks

Jim
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Initiate

my first car was a rtr ntc plus. may want to try that
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by authorjim
okay guys help me out. I want a 1/10 Nitro RTR. I am not yet prepared to go the Evolva, xray super car route yet.

I need a good rtr that I can upgrade, has durability and will race well in club races with these kind of cars.

I was told the Ofna CD3 was good and has some good durability. What others are good and what are the benefits of each?

Which one has the better out of the box motor, tranny, brakes, chassis adjustments and which will take an engine upgrade easier?

Thanks

Jim
HPI RS4 3 Evo
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jim read the Hpi Evo threads from the last 3 or 4 pages back. There are plenty of comparison to give you more insight on what people have experienced with different 1/10 cars. That should help you out a bit.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There isn't really a "best" 1/10th scale RTR. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of running your RTR. Here is how I rank the current RTR cars on the market

Traxxas Nitro 4-tec - Good for drag racing and wowing friends with straightline speed, not good for racing

Associated Nitro TC3 - Good club track racer, diff gears not able to handle hot modded engines for sanctioned big track races without modification

HPI RS4-3 Evo - Good club track racer, lots of parts available, not good for sanctioned big track racing

Team Magic G4 - Good club track racer, easily upgradable to run sanctioned big track races, can handle hot modded engines.

Kyosho Fazer series - Good club track racer, I believe can be used/upgraded to race sanctioned big track races (don't know a lot about this chassis)

Again, this is my take on the RTR cars that I know are currently available. The main thing is whether or not your local hobby shop supports the vehicle you want to get and if they don't, how easy is it to get parts for it when something breaks. Also, if you do decide to race it, are there racers at your track that run the car that can give you setup tips, etc, to make the car more competitive? These are some of the other factors you need to strongly consider.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best Nitro 1/10 RTR

Thanks for the advice. After more research I have found alot of good things about the Team Magic GS4 rtr and to lesser degee the Ofna CD3.

Any thoughs specifically about these two considering the following:

I will end up changing the engine at some point and upgrading some parts for a more competitive club racer.

I assume both of these can be started with a bump box, I hate pull starts.

Jim
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Best RTR

Thanks for the advice. After more research I have found alot of good things about the Team Magic GS4 rtr and to lesser degee the Ofna CD3.

I will end up changing the engine at some point and upgrading some parts for a more competitive club racer.

Jim
The CD3 is a shaft driven car, but I "think" the Team Magic is a belt driven car.
One thing about shaft driven cars is with a modified engine you can wind up with what is called torque steer.
This is when the engine has a lot of torque, and when you throttle up, the car will jerk slightly to one side. Belt driven cars will not do this.I owned three CD3 cars, and I did upgrade them, and they actually did pretty well.
Just for fun, I installed an OS 18 in one of the CD3 cars<spare car and engines> and it was pretty much not driveable due to the torque steer, but once I learned to use the expotential on the radio, the car was a little more driveable.
I would rate the CD3 as a 7 to 8 out of 10. Not the best, but certainly not the worst either.
I have not owned a Team Magic, so I can not compare the two cars.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jim
All of the car I mentioned plus the OFNA CD3 can be started off of a starter box. However, you will have to get a starter box that is multi-functional (has three starter wheel hole positions) so that you can configure it to whichever car you get.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Would probably suggest the Team Magic RTR.

Its the most similar compared to its competitive counterpart.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best 1/10 Nitro RTR

Thanks to all for the detailed information and reasons for your choice.

I have also found that the team magic was the closest to the pro cars and considering the belt drive that is probably the way I will go.

I also heard that the Nova .12 is a drop in and that should be real great, once I'm good enought to actually drive a car that hot.

I have an Ofna 10244 bump box with dual motors that has a lot of adjustments, but it does not do a sidways motor. Is the Team magic a side ways motor?

What are some good brand sticky tires for this car?

Thanks again

Jim
Old 09-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

I have also found that the team magic was the closest to the pro cars and considering the belt drive that is probably the way I will go.

I also heard that the Nova .12 is a drop in and that should be real great, once I'm good enought to actually drive a car that hot.

I have an Ofna 10244 bump box with dual motors that has a lot of adjustments, but it does not do a sidways motor. Is the Team magic a side ways motor?

Thanks again

Jim
You are making a good choice for that G4JR. Buy it now.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Default Best RTR: TM G4

TM G4 RTR has got the best and most upgrade-able chassis in my opinion...
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

for a beginner that needs easy use, bodies that fit right on will holes marked, good parts availability, hop ups galore, etc, the HPI is hard to beat.

and to anyone that thinks a evo 3 is slow ought to check out an HPI Challenge series. The nitro stock cars are usually only a lap or 2 down from the PRO cars...and thats with stock rubber tires and stock engines......
Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks again

Jim

if you're gonna buy an almost PRO car, why wait.....buy pro car, drop a leser HP motor in it and go from there....

If by RTR you mean you want to hack around on the street and get used to nitro cars, a belt driven car is not the best idea, and you also have to consider that rubber tires are better for street use and some club racing. A car designed for foams wont run great on rubber and a rubber tire car wont run best on foams.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastharryDOTcom
if you're gonna buy an almost PRO car, why wait.....buy pro car, drop a leser HP motor in it and go from there....

If by RTR you mean you want to hack around on the street and get used to nitro cars, a belt driven car is not the best idea, and you also have to consider that rubber tires are better for street use and some club racing. A car designed for foams wont run great on rubber and a rubber tire car wont run best on foams.
I really want to thank all of you for all the input. This post set me back a bit, not because it was not to the point. It was exactly to the point. It is making think and reevaluate.

I will have to mull this over.

Anybody buy from RC hobbies, are they okay?

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.