Wiki Posts
Search

Byron gen 2 or odonnell fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Byron gen 2 or odonnell fuel?

Hello I am fairly new to nitro. I have always used odonnell race 30% fuel. I have read about byrons gen 2 fuel and it sounds very impressive, and a little cheaper. I just want to run the best, for the competitive edge and life of the motor.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran O'donnell up til a few years ago. I switched to Byron's and have never looked back. I really like the Byron's fuel and wouldn't run anything else.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry if I sound harsh here but this same type of question gets asked every month and there is NO consensus. If this thread goes on long enough, every fuel on earth will get mentioned sooner or later. Oh I know you only asked about two but everyone will throw out there favorite with something like this:

"Both are OK but get some brand X"

or

"OD sux, run brand Y"

or

"Byrons sux, run brand Z"

And some of those brands mentioned will be terrible fuels. Most fuels on the market are very good but there are a few stinkers out there.

So to answer your question, go with what you can get and what you know.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the two best choices if available to you are Maxys or Byrons
Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

byron gen 2. Its very consistant and works well.
Shawn
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I only used one Gal of Oddonell and that's all it took for me to go back to Byron's and never use anything else.

They have 16% 20% 25% 30% 33% nitro and also offer pro driver version! Pretty cool hu??
Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Availability is the key. Everyone likes something different. Once you find one you like (if you have multiple choices locally), stick with the same fuel.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

I used odonnel, sidewinder, and lately i use Byron Gen 2 and for me is best than the other brands..
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
kmh
Tech Addict

Byrons gen 2 is very ,very good. I can only speak from my experiences. I have used many different manufactures fuels and the only thing I can say is I have had less engine problems with Byrons. Bearings last longer and sometimes I would not even use after run oil(not recommended),and the engine would be fine on the next start-up. I tried that with another fuel and the motor would gum up. Myself and two other racers at my track had the same identical motors. Another racer and myself had premature rear bearing failures. The other guys motor was showing no sign of wear. We were using the same fuel and the other guy was not.We both replaced our rear bearings an switched to Byrons. We never looked back. BTW-that other guy's motor was still running strong 2 seasons later. Kenny Howard

Last edited by kmh; 10-16-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gonzo RR
I only used one Gal of Oddonell and that's all it took for me to go back to Byron's and never use anything else.

They have 16% 20% 25% 30% 33% nitro and also offer pro driver version! Pretty cool hu??
byrons gen II, 25/:11% """" The best in the business"""
Old 11-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

I have run Byron Fuels for 3 racing seasons in my 1/10th sedan. The motor is a Serio EVO STi. It still has every original part in it.

Before this last season, I took the engine to a motor guy. He tore it apart and put it back together. When I went to get the motor, he said the motor was in excellent condition with great pinch. Said it must have only a gallon or two run through it! He was suprised to learn that it had over six gallons on it.

I will only use Byron's Race Gen 2 fuel.