Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for onroad newb under $400

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommendation for onroad newb under $400

Hey all,
Recently my interests in RC cars has been re-stimulated and I am quite interested in getting an on-road car... I think. To be honest I am not sure if an on-road car would be right for me. Most likely the car will never see a track and I'd likely be using it on streets, parking lots, and the like. Can I get away with an on-road car under these conditions or should I really be looking more into the off-road cars?

I've previously built an off-road electric car before. Just one, I'm probably just a step above "newby" when it comes to RC cars

Anyway I am looking for a car to be used in the conditions I mentioned for under 400 dollars. Preferably a kit as I really enjoyed building the kit in my past experience, though if I thought it was the right car I'd get a RTR.

So far the car I'm most closely considering is the HPI RS4 RTR 3 Evo+ (An RTR I know..)

Opinions?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For what you are planning to do with the car, that would be a perfect choice. It's price point and parts availability make it just right for bashing in the neighborhood streets and occasional parking lot racing. You can also look into the Associate NTC3 and the Kyosho FW06. Both cars are also shaft drivin, like the HPI car..making for a great parking lot bashers, with the Kyosho car being the closet to club racing level.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New onroad

Originally Posted by TheWired
Hey all,
Recently my interests in RC cars has been re-stimulated and I am quite interested in getting an on-road car... I think. To be honest I am not sure if an on-road car would be right for me. Most likely the car will never see a track and I'd likely be using it on streets, parking lots, and the like. Can I get away with an on-road car under these conditions or should I really be looking more into the off-road cars?

I've previously built an off-road electric car before. Just one, I'm probably just a step above "newby" when it comes to RC cars

Anyway I am looking for a car to be used in the conditions I mentioned for under 400 dollars. Preferably a kit as I really enjoyed building the kit in my past experience, though if I thought it was the right car I'd get a RTR.

So far the car I'm most closely considering is the HPI RS4 RTR 3 Evo+ (An RTR I know..)

Opinions?
If you are just running in a parking lot, then I would go with a shaft driven car.
Most of the quality kits are belt driven, and when used in an unclean surface like a parking lot, they will pick up small pebbles in the belts.
Shaft driven cars will not have this problem.
There are pros and cons to both shaft and belt driven cars, but for someone just getting back into the hobby, I would say go with a shaft driven.
There are the Ofna brands, and NTC1 as examples. The NTC1 by Associated has been around for some time now, but they are still being manufactured and parts should not be an issue.
Pick up a good 12 size engine, good servos, receiver, and you will be good to go.
Or check the for sale forums here and other sites. The way the economy is now, lots of good used items are being sold at great prices.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

brc358,

You mean Associated Nitro TC3 (NTC3). Never heard of a NTC1.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default ON Road

Originally Posted by JLock
brc358,

You mean Associated Nitro TC3 (NTC3). Never heard of a NTC1.
OOPS! You are right. My bad
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will follow my own advice and go with the HPI afterall. Going to try to pick one up today (or order it)

Another question though. How loud are nitro rc cars? Are they as loud as lets say, dirtbikes?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

you might want to take a look at the IGT2 corvette it is $399.00 at RC Planet
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

No...not that loud...although they can still be heard from afar ( a block or two away)
Old 09-11-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TheWired
Thanks for the help guys. I think I will follow my own advice and go with the HPI afterall. Going to try to pick one up today (or order it)

Another question though. How loud are nitro rc cars? Are they as loud as lets say, dirtbikes?

I would also go with the HPI.....The cars are really pretty good, in fact, at the HPI challenge series, the Rs4 3's are only down a lap or 2 from the mod nitro cars......The body choice is great with all the markings for mounting pre drilled, it has enough hop ups to keep you happy, and overall support is great.

PLUS, you can race it at the challenge series which, if you haven't entered one, is a blast..
Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Ok you can close this thread...he bought a car yesterday.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

If you are looking for competition 1/10th Touring or 1/8th scale car kits under $400.00 you need to read about Edam Racing cars. Both the 1/10th Spirit 981 and the 1/8th Razor cost $395.00 each.

Full support team worldwide is on going and a new team for USA is being developed. Full line of parts, upgrades, and accessories will be available all the time for racers.

TMA Marketing is the new distributor for Edam Racing. I have been in contact with these people for 3 years and watching what they have been doing with their design for development of these cars. They are now very competitive and good for both the newbie (follow standard setup) and experience racer.

Just take a look at the cars on our website http://www.teammarketingamerica.com

Have any questions just call and leave a message and we will get back to you. The temperatures in Arizona are 105 and up so we don't spend a lot of time in the warehouse right now that is why I mention leave a message. Don't call and hang up. Please leave a message.

Good luck to you and hope you love the hobby as much as we have the past 20 plus years.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

I suggest Team Magic G4RS '09 for $399.00!