R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   JP xt12t or RB x12t 5 port ? which is the better engine? need racers input ! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/3273-jp-xt12t-rb-x12t-5-port-better-engine-need-racers-input.html)

carpet_killa 02-23-2002 03:37 PM

JP xt12t or RB x12t 5 port ? which is the better engine? need racers input !

my friend is wanting a engine but his preferance is either the JP xt12 or RB x12 5 port . so i figured i would ask you guy's and what you know on this matter of which is a better choice ? he is wanting --- Power, reliable,and perfomance and i told him i would find out . cause you all have been doing thais a long time. thanks alot.

Distroey 02-23-2002 06:48 PM

i'd go for the 5 port RB, even though i haven't tried it =). It still has 2 ports over the jp modified. So i'd think it would be faster.

carpet_killa 02-23-2002 09:30 PM

Re: JP xt12t or RB x12t 5 port ? which is the better engine? need racers input !

Originally posted by carpet_killa
my friend is wanting a engine but his preferance is either the JP xt12 or RB x12 5 port . so i figured i would ask you guy's and what you know on this matter of which is a better choice ? he is wanting --- Power, reliable,and perfomance and i told him i would find out . cause you all have been doing thais a long time. thanks alot.

and i forgot to add the : JP Black Modified 2.1cc RS-12 TS1
i don't know anything about either engine so i can not help him so i need your all's input on this matter. he plans on buying 1 of these engines monday for some race comming up. and wants to have it tuned and broke in .

VinDollar 02-23-2002 10:15 PM

I think i would go with the jp rs12 but i think they are closely matched. Price is what should be the factor. I would go with the cheapest.

carpet_killa 02-24-2002 11:13 AM

engine ?

so i should tell him to stick with the RB 5 port cause it will last longer than the JP , and performance is not any differant ! right ?

VinDollar 02-24-2002 11:51 AM

Well thats another thing to look at. I don't know how long the life expectancy of the jp is compared to the rb, but i know a lot of people who would never run anything but an rb because they are strong reliable engines. But novarossi is coming out with their own 5 port engine. Thats what i would look for.

Foger Rox 02-24-2002 12:52 PM

Maybe the Ofna/Picco 7 port .12?

VinDollar 02-24-2002 02:22 PM

7 port ofna/picco

Do you know where i can find some info on that engine?

Foger Rox 02-24-2002 03:28 PM

The new RCCA mag has an add from Ofna. 1.39 horse @ 36krpm.. standard and SG shafts, turbo 7 port=$299.99 list.

Non turbo 7 port, $259.99 List. Street prices will proly be 20 to 30% less.

icon 02-25-2002 06:38 AM

get an RB. I own the 5 port turbo and i cant complain about the finish. Looks great. New England weather prevents me from doing anything right now, but I would not go modified unless it is a Richey Mod.

rod_b 02-25-2002 08:17 AM

Is the JP ROAR legal? My suggestion for a modded ROAR legal engine would be the Richey RTU. Off the shelf power, I'd probably get the RB. I have an RB X12T and it's a great engine. The 5-port would probably produce a little more power. I've also seen the Collari/Picco 5-port run and it's no slouch! One thing I like about the new Piccos are that they never seem to sound like they're winding out at the end of the straight.

I think someone up above said it best...price should be the factor.

Mad Max 02-26-2002 10:41 AM

I hope this is for somebody that is racing in front of there house, because I am tired of racing and being hacked by "newbies" that couldn't drive a camel in the desert, let alone an overpowered 1/10 tc. The motor companies love them cause 1. they can't tunafish much less a nitro car. And they have an hpi RS4 sport or other RTR that is shaped like a pretzel from discussing the weather with curbs. Then they find out about a race and its "I gotta be first to the corner" so the ask a million questions about buying a $300 motor for this $200 car. So here they are at the track trying to get this monster motor to hook up (can I use the stock muffler?). Then once they hit the track, they turn on some electromagnet that sucks the car right up to yours and bang! Wall city! Or you're just passing them thru the last set of corners and onto the back straight, and that 7 port, double overhead cam, injected, tweaked, modified, hair dryer kicks in. That expert driver welds the throttle wide open and stuffs you and POS into the fence. The part that really pisses me off is the other couple of racers on the stand that say "get em, get em!"

The funny part is you can do better with less power, but hey my stock MT12 is easier to drive fast, more than powerful enough to beat my competition, if they don't staple me to a wall.

The best drivers are fast corners not in the straights.

Mauler 02-26-2002 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Mad Max
I hope this is for somebody that is racing in front of there house, because I am tired of racing and being hacked by "newbies" that couldn't drive a camel in the desert, let alone an overpowered 1/10 tc. The motor companies love them cause 1. they can't tunafish much less a nitro car. And they have an hpi RS4 sport or other RTR that is shaped like a pretzel from discussing the weather with curbs. Then they find out about a race and its "I gotta be first to the corner" so the ask a million questions about buying a $300 motor for this $200 car. So here they are at the track trying to get this monster motor to hook up (can I use the stock muffler?). Then once they hit the track, they turn on some electromagnet that sucks the car right up to yours and bang! Wall city! Or you're just passing them thru the last set of corners and onto the back straight, and that 7 port, double overhead cam, injected, tweaked, modified, hair dryer kicks in. That expert driver welds the throttle wide open and stuffs you and POS into the fence. The part that really pisses me off is the other couple of racers on the stand that say "get em, get em!"

The funny part is you can do better with less power, but hey my stock MT12 is easier to drive fast, more than powerful enough to beat my competition, if they don't staple me to a wall.

Guys have won races with a CV pitted against NOVAs... and definitely, it was not the engine that won the others, it's the driver...

$$$ doesn't buy speed... Your skill does...

But once again, I might be wrong!
:D :D

AMGRacer 02-26-2002 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Mad Max

This is true to a degree. At my track there are 6 very fast guys who have very dialled cars and can drive well. The only thing that seperates us is who can drive a clean race and the power/tune of the engines. I do agree if you cannot drive well to start with then there is little point in having the best engine out there.

Dan 02-26-2002 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Mauler

$$$ doesn't buy speed... Your skill does...

Whats the part number for "skill"? I'm having problems finding that. Where can I get it online?

I seem to lack that one special part... LOL :p