R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Which engine??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/32568-engine.html)

bballer 01-31-2004 05:26 PM

Which engine???

Hey, I'm looking for an engine to put in my G4 and have narrowed it down to the Mugen mt12 or the sts dragon d3. I have heard good things about both, but wanted to know the pros/cons that anyone has about these (tuning, top/low end, durability, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated. :nod:
bballer

20 SMOKE 01-31-2004 05:39 PM

I have the D3 and am happy so far but check the engine zone lots of usefull info

hicheef 01-31-2004 09:07 PM

The Mugen's are....

Really easy to tune and keep for a long time. The MT12 has been discontinued but you may be able to find a few out there. If you can spend a bit more you may consider the NS12S3, it's Mugen's latest and from what I've heard it's the fastest non-mod 3 port out there right now. If it's anything like the MT it'll be a winner!!!!
Just myhumble opinion
Kevin

Fisher890 02-01-2004 03:07 AM

I have an STS D3 Very Fast accelleration. Break in is very long and IMHO a conrod change after initial break in is a must. They are very tight to start and don't wear quickly. The Tricky part is taking your time and being patient to get it good and broke in.If you don't take your time with it it won't break in properly and you will shorten the life span as well as the performance dramatically. I broke my first D3 after bad tuning and trying to rush it through the process. Lucky for me Dino @STS is more user friendly and at a very reasonable price fixed my internally FUBAR motor and instructed me on a Proper break in.Now My Motor is Broke in Runs Very Well and is easy to adjust. I expect that it will last a very long time now because it has a New conrod and I know the Piston/sleeve wear slowly. I have about a Gallon thru it now and about 6 tanks past Changing the Conrod. It runs easily in a temp range of 200F to 240F without worry and Really Screams when bumped up to 250-260F.The Workmanship on the motor Really suprised me for the price I paid and I can honestly recommend using them.You Have to keep in Mind that these are race motors and not take a stroll in the driveway motors they are built for racing and have to be used for racing.I have 2 RB's they are alot easier to deal with and given a long enough straight will rev higher; but the STS goes much quicker out of the turn.Just My obsevations and experiences. If you run on a smaller track The STS will do very well straight line racing the RB's Have the RPM's and a good range for Large tracks.I've Heard good things about the MT12 but haven't seen one run.

big_bg 02-02-2004 07:41 PM

sts

The only problem I have found is that STS engine are a pain to tune but after there tuned they run like a hemi

bballer 02-03-2004 06:52 PM

Re: sts

Originally posted by big_bg
The only problem I have found is that STS engine are a pain to tune but after there tuned they run like a hemi
So the sts's are hard to tune? :eek: this is my first engine, so i will probably try to find a mt12, ive heard they're not bad tuning wise. Thanks a lot
bballer ;)