Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most available of TC Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default Most available of TC Cars?

I'm thinking of getting a new TC Car in Nitro. I've always been an electric guy, but thought I'd mix it up. From what I've found, there seems to be a number of high quality TC Nitro cars out there. I know my personality; I'd tend to go overboard and try to make it the best I can with costs secondary. So I would probably go with a kit and build up. This being said, I'm worried about parts availibility and getting help form other owners. If the car is a little too exotic, I'll be trying to troubleshoot on my own. So biggest deciding factors are; parts availibility and technical support. Also with that note, which motor? Same deciding factors apply. Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Since you are in California, I would go with TC3 or the HPI r40. You shouldn't have any problem with parts availability.

Personally, I have went with the G4. BadAss car, parts availability kinda sucks though. So try not to break anything or get a another G4 kit for a spare parts kinda car.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Well, in general Associated and HPI are in almost every hobby shop. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where I can get parts for Mugen, Kyosho, HPI, Associated, Losi, Ofna and even Yokomo and Serpent. This is just a guess but here is an estimated population break down of cars in my area

1. MTX3
2. V1R/Reflex
2. NTC3
4. 705/710
5. GT4
6. LD3
7. R40

Alot of the sedan guys here are also 1/8 scalers and they run MRX3s and it's probably why they also run MTX3s...brand loyalty. V1R and NTC3s are probably really close so I put them both at #2. In your area I guess you'd have to find out what most people are running but there is tons of online support for all these cars right here. For parts, you'd have to check with your lhs to see what they have. I purposely got the HPI R40 because 1) not too many people have them. 2) I'm not good enough to where a car would make the difference between me winning and losing. 3) I'm a hop-up freak and HPIs are notorious for 3rd party support. 4) I can get HPI parts easily.

Engines, I would go with a Nova (NS12, NSR12) or Nova based engine like RB (V12) or Top TS12.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for both your feedbacks. If I go with one of these cars, is there anything really strange, or an unknown fact about one of the cars I should know before making a purchase? Like special tools I would have to purchase, or horrible customer service from the manufacturer, etc.? Thanks Again.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

I went with the MTX3 and parts support is starting to come around up here but i really haven't needed to replace much...2 belts and a dogbone.The Kit is extremely strong and hop ups for others are stock in the box except cvd's. I also have an NTC3 kit and parts are very easy to get and you need to get them frequently......The plastic is brittle in the NTC but it is a Very Fast car.I am Very happy with the Mugen it handles way better then the ntc.I am running an STS D3 motor and it is Very Quick and Very reasonable on the Dollar the online tech for STS is Dino and he is the best.You will never be alone if you have a question or problem with an STS. I also Own 2 RB's and they are Very easy to tune as well as being very fast and Duriable they have a forum on there site and Rody always answers questions within a couple days.I have no Nova Rossi motors but i know they are good.I order most of stuff online but for kits and support Ultimate Hobbies in OC has some of the best pricing and best parts support i've seen. ultimatehobbies.com Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2004, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

If your worried about parts I would go with the Yokomo GT4. Speedtechrc stock the parts but you will be pleasantly surprised to see the car is built like a tank. I have hardly broke anything in the last 3-4 yrs and still on the original belts. And I have ran the car in some real bad carparks for engine breakin and testing purposes