Wiki Posts
Search

Bearings / Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Bearings / Lubrication

Hey'

I need too clean my bearings I read somewere that I can just put them in a container soak them with WD40 and give em' a shake untill they come up clean.

What grease / lubrication should I use seeing as the wd40 would almost remove it all.

Can I use normal grease that I use on my bikes bearings?

Cheers.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

u can do that to remove dirty things, and then you can oil them back up with bearing oil! if you want you can remove the covers of the bearings and spray then down to get everything out!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

yeah, u can. if your bearing is rubber sealed, remove that seal out gently before soaking/shaking it into WD-40. leave it to dry on a paper towel few hours before re-lubricate it with a drop of light bearing oil.

i've heard few top racers grease their bearings with special high temp grease. doesnt work for me, adding grease stiffen bearing movements initially. or maybe too much grease. correct me if im wrong
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nazwenhome
correct me if im wrong
Once I had a set of Bocabearings. When mounted all the bearings the feeling was far away from smooth until you did run a few laps. The greese will become smooth while running and because the raised temperature.

Cold feelings does not tell much about the warm conditions.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Ah yes. Seeing as the wd40 would perish the rubber. I don't think they're rubber sealed tho.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnokurt
Ah yes. Seeing as the wd40 would perish the rubber. I don't think they're rubber sealed tho.
Hi

I have an Eagle Racing sonic bearing cleaner, but for the life of me i can't remember what you add to it remove the grease.

Back when i was a kid, it used a glass jar and petrol for the skate board bearings...

Help would be appreciated. This gettin old has nobs on it!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hmm, speaking on bearings

i just cleaned out a couple of my rubber sealed ones and thought i would try some tamiya anti wear grease, as it works good for other things so thought i would see how they effect the bearings.

motor spray works well to flush out muck, and normally a thin bearing oil works well.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Hi

I have an Eagle Racing sonic bearing cleaner, but for the life of me i can't remember what you add to it remove the grease.

Back when i was a kid, it used a glass jar and petrol for the skate board bearings...

Help would be appreciated. This gettin old has nobs on it!
i'll cook the bearings with grease inside before i service it. on second thought, for that amount of work, i'd rather buy new bearings
Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i clean with WD-40, then mineral turps and let them dry. then let them sit in a jar of Snap-On air tool oil and warm the oil to make sure it gets into every part of the bearing until no more air bubbles esacpe. usually let them sit for 24-48 hours like this then wipe down and refit.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

take the shields of then put the bearings in a ultrasonic cleaner, or a sealed lid container with acetone, then shake or turn the ultrasonic on.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

I got a special bearing ritual!
In a plastic glass put wd40, remove all the ruber seals from the bearings, then start a pre cleaning with cleaning gum, put them on the plastic glass with wd40, put the glass on the top of the fridge!( the fridge vibration will remove all the dirt from the bearings) for 24hrs. When 24hrs have passed check all the dirt on the bottom of the glass, clean the bearings again with a clean cloth or if you got air compressor better! then put some oil on every bearing and reinstall the seals. this prosses or ritual you will feel the car very free and loose! and long live to the bearings, all my bearings of my car are the originals that comes with the kit, I do this every 2 races