Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Nitro Acclerates by Itself >

Nitro Acclerates by Itself

Nitro Acclerates by Itself

Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Acclerates by Itself

Hey guys, I have a Nitro RS4 3. I got it about 4 years ago, but stopped playing it until about a week ago. The reason i stopped was because the clutch was broken, but i went and replaced that. Anyways, i've played about a lil over 10 tanks and its been running like new until recently. It started yesterday, and basically the car would accelerate at full throttle by itself. I thought maybe the low and high end needle were out of tune so i read up on it and tried to tune it myself. That didnt solve the problem. I made sure to get it back to the specs it were before i touched it because im far from good at this hobby yet. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone had any idea how to solve this problem because i want to get back to playing again! lol. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hey

Originally Posted by silentxnight
Hey guys, I have a Nitro RS4 3. I got it about 4 years ago, but stopped playing it until about a week ago. The reason i stopped was because the clutch was broken, but i went and replaced that. Anyways, i've played about a lil over 10 tanks and its been running like new until recently. It started yesterday, and basically the car would accelerate at full throttle by itself. I thought maybe the low and high end needle were out of tune so i read up on it and tried to tune it myself. That didnt solve the problem. I made sure to get it back to the specs it were before i touched it because im far from good at this hobby yet. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone had any idea how to solve this problem because i want to get back to playing again! lol. Thanks in advance.
Make shore your clutch shoes havent come apart,also check your idle ,your radio settings too.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for replying, i checked the idle and its not that. i can turn it all the way in and itll still accelerate on its own. I dont think its the radio settings either. My first thought was that the batteries for the receivers were dead, but i changed them out and still the same. I guess its the clutch. How would i go about checking it? is it hard to do? i havent touched this thing in well over 4 years...im afraid i dont remember how to fix it. Could anyone give me a quick step by step in trying to get to the clutch. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

nevermind. i think you are right about the clutch shoes. I searched up some videos on youtube and it looks fairly simple. Will try to fix it tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

you can maybe check the throttle servo and see if it is still good?!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your engine is racing and not idling then u are too lean. But u said u checked the needles, so maybe there's an airleak, there's too much air in the chamber and that's making it too lean, the engine sounds like it's all or nothing. I had the same problem with an OS motor, and I gave up and just bought a new one. Listen if it's not a simple airleak, replacing engine parts can be half the price of a new engine, or the same price as buying a used one that is in good condition. So consider getting another motor if repairs and adjustments aren't working.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

here is some of my thoughts,
if the clutch came loose? during idle, yr kit will move but just enough or slowly pick up speed on the ground.
if its a leak? im sure its a nasty hole that caused this. of course, lotsa fuel dripping out.
if its the throttle servo, u can see carburetor opening initially if its too big or the servo just like to be at open throttle position or low battery.

if as soon as u start your engine,it launch off full speed, on the ground then u better check with local hobby shop for careful inspection.