Community
Wiki Posts
Search

good temperature gun

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Addict

Default good temperature gun

I know this one is good but I can't remember the name. This one is orange colour the size is a thin square box and red digital number on top reading the temp? The price should like $240 before. Where can I get this one cheap now?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

I think you are referring to the old Exergen design. The thin box with red LED's was superceded by the DX501. A new DX501 cost about $250.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...emperature-Gun
Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

i know that my temp gun isnt 240 dollars but i use this http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99171

its a losi temp tuner with screw driver and i love it.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cta4LC4PON3
i know that my temp gun isnt 240 dollars but i use this http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99171

its a losi temp tuner with screw driver and i love it.
I got one of these today and am disappointed. My readings are consistantly 25 to 30 degrees higher than everyone elses at the track, even other guys with the same temp-tuner.

I emailed horizon today to see if it can be recalibrated.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Get the exergen one. I have one (the old one that looks like a thin yellow box) for over 15 years and it is very constant. And the battery last forever. I just replace the original battery 3 months ago.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com
Get the exergen one. I have one (the old one that looks like a thin yellow box) for over 15 years and it is very constant. And the battery last forever. I just replace the original battery 3 months ago.
For $260 the thing better take me out to dinner too.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

To be hornest I think I pay more back then. But consider 260 / 15 years / 365days is 4.7 cents per day. This should makes you feel better when you pay that $260.

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
For $260 the thing better take me out to dinner too.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

To be hornest I think I pay more back then. But consider 260 / 15 years / 365days is 4.7 cents per day. This should makes you feel better when you pay that $260.
And when you're playing with $600+ engines, it's well worth the investment!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

I use the Odonnel....it is consistently within 1 degree of my big rayteck and my friends exergen,,,
Old 09-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would never advocate wasting money, but here is my take on this whole thing. It is rarely a bad idea to invest in good tools. I started with the Raytek, but without an aiming cone, getting consistant readings (especially from a friend trying to help me) was not easy. I bought the Exergen D501 (square box) and still have it 10 years later. Good tools benefit you and hold their value quite well should you ever choose to sell it.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Queensland, Australia, Earth, Galaxy, Universe, A Childs Sandpit
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

$260 for a temp gun. Blah, what a load of shit.. If you knew what the inner workings of them were you'd buy the $30 one from Jaycar..
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I would never advocate wasting money, but here is my take on this whole thing. It is rarely a bad idea to invest in good tools. I started with the Raytek, but without an aiming cone, getting consistant readings (especially from a friend trying to help me) was not easy. I bought the Exergen D501 (square box) and still have it 10 years later. Good tools benefit you and hold their value quite well should you ever choose to sell it.

Scott, I am pretty lucky. My Raytek has that special aiming cone that Sigma Trading used to make.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by autocadsteve197
$260 for a temp gun. Blah, what a load of shit.. If you knew what the inner workings of them were you'd buy the $30 one from Jaycar..

There is some truth to that.

And this whole discussion leads to whether you should tune by operating temp. To be honest, I rarely even check temps anymore. Whatever it is, it is. If the engine is overheating, you'll know it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink Exergen Precision Infra Red Temperature Gun Price out off this world

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Hi,
I hate to say this but, Scott but your right on. I have purchased not 1, not 2, but 3 stupid temp guns. That's over $100. Know I'm saving my dollars to get the real thing. You may know when your engine is to hot, but shouldn't you monitor at list one time when weather changes? I don't think it's ever a bad thing to check temp with a good tool. I like getting to track and using some ones Exergen temperature gun. Always all my temp guns have read 15 to 30 degrees off. The bad part is the batteries fail and you think your OK but here you role out to the track next thing you know you cut the life in half by over heating your engine. NOT FOR ME THANK YOU. My dad ones told me, "you pay for what you get". I'm over 50 years old know, guess what he was right!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone have a good way to test accuracy? Boiling water seems like a way, but would an Ir gun read it right? I don't know when water boils at my altitude anyways.

What's a good, high temp constant to use to check accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.