Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 mHz versus 75 mHz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default 27 mHz versus 75 mHz?

While shopping for a used radio, I noticed that lots of people with high end radios are running 27 mHz. Why? Does it not limit the amount of channels that one can use? Do people running 27 mHz not run into problems with the limited amount of frequencies (i.e. other people on the same channel)?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Used to be that 27mhz radios were scarce, but lately, with the influx of all the RTR's, which are always on that band, they may not be that easy to get track time with.

Plus I think that the Japanese radio frequencies are compatible with our 27 mhz. bands.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

I've heard people say that 27Mhz are less likely to glitch. That's why some of the big name drivers use them.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by theRED5
Used to be that 27mhz radios were scarce, but lately, with the influx of all the RTR's, which are always on that band, they may not be that easy to get track time with.

Plus I think that the Japanese radio frequencies are compatible with our 27 mhz. bands.
Everywhere outside of the US (at least to my knowledge) has 12 channels for the 27mhz band. In the US it is obviously limited to just 6 channels. And yes, 27 mhz is supposed to be less susceptible to glitching from the likes of chain-link fences and pagers (or some stuff like that). Plus, in the US, the spacing between the channels on the 27 mhz band is 40 (something or other) while the spacing between channels on 75 mhz is 20 (something or other) so a badly tuned radio is less likely to cause glitching on an adjacent radio frequency on channel 27 as it is on channel 75.

Truthfully, the differences are negligible, and having more availible channels on 75 mhz band is advantageous. Its not like anyone really complains about the performance of their radio because it runs on 75mhz as opposed to 27 mhz.