Wiki Posts
Search

Exhaust pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Exhaust pipe question

So I slightly dented my pipe in over the weekend at a race ... its dented right behind the tip on the inner side of it ... its a Picco 2651 pipe and header ... should I even fix it or leave it alone?

How do I even fix the dent?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)

Originally Posted by SERPENT7twenty
So I slightly dented my pipe in over the weekend at a race ... its dented right behind the tip on the inner side of it ... its a Picco 2651 pipe and header ... should I even fix it or leave it alone?

How do I even fix the dent?

Thanks guys!
denpending on how big the dent is u can fill the pipe up with water and put the pipe in the freezer overnite...that should work fine.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Don't forget to plug all the holes on the pipe,then freeze it.Remember water expands when it freezes so make sure the holes are plugged up good and check periodically.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default dented pipe

The area right behind the stinger is the most difficult to fix/repair.
If the dent is in the middle of the pipe, the freezer trick usually works pretty good.
The area behind the stinger is "beefed" up making the freezer method a trial and error.
I have had them dented and used a small torch, heated up the area behind the stinger, and then pulled the dent out with a large phillips screwdriver, and a heavy pair of gloves<the pipe will get very hot from the torch>.
I have also cut the pipe in 1/2 with a dremmel cut off wheel, repaired the damage, and then aluminum welded the pipe back together. This is more trouble than it is worth. I just wanted to see if this could be done. If the pipe is a dual chamber pipe, there is no point in trying to cut the pipe in 1/2.
You can also make a gusset behind the stinger with JB weld to make it a little stronger.
If you are going to try the freezer trick, put a piece of fuel line on the nipple, put a small screw in the other end of the fuel line, and the fill the pipe with water, and plug the large end tightly. Lay the dented side down in the freezer. I put my pipes in baggies before I put them in the freezer. It might take two or three attempts to freeze the dent out<if it works at all>
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys! I'm tempted to try it but I've heard horror stories about these 'freezer' methods.

The dent is small ... I'm almost thinking about leaving it .. its tough cause I've had the pipe for like a week and effed it up already but eh ... sh*t happens

Thanks again fella's!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It sucks...

Some pipes last 6 months, some last 6 laps.

How do you like the 2651? What were you using before that? I assume you are running it on a picco engine. I just got two of them and am hoping to test at CP.. gyro race.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
It sucks...

Some pipes last 6 months, some last 6 laps.

How do you like the 2651? What were you using before that? I assume you are running it on a picco engine. I just got two of them and am hoping to test at CP.. gyro race.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. My Skyline pipe last FOREVER ... this thing the first race out .. dented LOL .. I was actually screwing with it last night and took a flat head screw driver and bent the exhaust stinger forward and the dent came out I'm a lucky SOB ...

As far as my opinion on the 2651 click the link below bottom of page 2 my post ..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusiv...red-dot-2.html

See you at the Gyro Hobbies race hopefully I can clear my schedule to make it