Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My car is weird

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default My car is weird

OK i am running my Nitro RS4 3 type SS and I am blasting full speed and I bring it in to me and it starts bogging at idle so I rev it and does the same so I blast it full throttle again and idles fine and it goes back and forth sometimes it idles bad and then good and also I had a little trouble starting it so should I adjust the Idle? the lowend is close to factory no more than 1/16 turn lean and the top end is 1/2 lean from factory.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

sounds like you're being too stingy with your engine.

you probably wont listen to me for fear of going too hard on your .12SS, but leaning your high speed in small increments until you find that the car hums at WOT is a good idea to correct your bad idle. Low, inconsistant idle is derived from an engine with a bad high speed needle setting. Lean your HSN in 1/8th increments. Regardless of what the most experienced hobby shop technician tells you, an 8th of a turn is not overkill. You saying that the low end factory is not even 1/16th of a turn tells me something. The engine, especially the .12SS included with the RS43 Type-SS.. is not going to produce noticable results from 1/16th a turn.

Try to understand what gibberish i just splattered.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah there are no guidelines for lowend and I think it is the Idle because my high end has been at this setting for quite some time and this was a sudden thing, also I forgot to mention that because the idle is so close the the carb neck the zip tie goes around it and I moved the airfilter by rotating it so I think it is the idle because the zip tie accedentilly moved it and what I said was that the lowend is only 1/16 leaner than the factory setting
Old 01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

reset your idle for about 0.5 to 1mm opening. those are pretty standard settings that most will recommend.

if your engine sounds consistent high end start tuning your low end. you may have a rich low end setting and that may be why it is struggling at lowend. but if you have an inconsistent idle your engine could possibly have an airleak. check around the backplate, neck of the carb, carb itself, under the glowplug, and heatsink head for possible leaks.

hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the help I will try to re adjust the idle tomarrow, also I don't think there are any airleaks in the cylinder it is too new only about a gal. through it
Old 01-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Initiate

It sounds like your LSN is too rich. I read in the Paris Racing http://www.parisracing.com/ website that when you bring your car in at temp that your motor should sound like it's racing for 20 seconds before loading up and dropping in revs. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Two things the idle was too slow and the LSN was to lean got it ran good for a minute and died I repumped the fuel with the primer, I have a pinhole leak in the line gotta be replaced. Thanks for the help guys