RC car- True Turbocharger.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC car- True Turbocharger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RC car- True Turbocharger. PICS!

basics of the beast... the weight is about an ounce more than a tuned pipe setup, and it is a TRUE exhaust driven turbine. The prototype i made gave me at least 100% gain in power from stock. Hooked to a 12 CV on a TC3 nitro, in 100 feet, it pulls 20 feet on an 85+ mph 1/8th scale car. I would tell you how fast the TC3 is on top end, with a full size GPS in the car, lol, but the BS flags will instantly go up. The reason it isn't hooked to my 5 port motors yet is the os is cheap to replace rods and piston/sleeves. the motor will keep accelerating, making more and more boost, untill the con rod splits. But i have a wastegate in the works for that

So, how much demand do you guys think there would be for a turbocharger for our nitro touring cars? If there is Just a little bit of interest, i will be selling them before september...

Jim

Last edited by 1BadTransam; 05-31-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Addict

pics please, and show us diagrams
Old 05-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, pics. And a video. Everyone is used to rolling their eyes about this subject, it's time to see something that works! Show, show, show!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is a couple screen shots of the turbo... grade 6al-4v titanium Shaft, ceramic balls, and all 6061-t6 cases and impellers. I cant post actual pictures yet, its still in protype form, (read: rough machined) and i want to get the production version before i show the product.

Jim

*Screenshots removed 6-5-04

Last edited by 1BadTransam; 06-05-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by 1BadTransam
Here is a couple screen shots of the turbo... grade 6al-4v titanium Shaft, ceramic balls, and all 6061-t6 cases and impellers. I cant post actual pictures yet, its still in protype form, (read: rough machined) and i want to get the production version before i show the product.

Jim
Jim, are you planning on doing this for .12 or .21 or both sized engines?

The system must be tiny!

I'm game! (Just saw that you DID try it on a .12)
Old 05-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

The system will be for all .12 types, all .21 types, and you can even use it on the larger displacement big blocks. I am planning 3 impellers, 1 type for smaller .12s, another for .21-.35, and a more aggressive one for 7.5cc boats and such. The only requirement of the motor is it needs to have at least a low end needle valve, and a high end needle valve. 99.9% of all motors on the market have that...

the 7.5cc version has its own water cooled case, that i tested today. on a rear intake, front exhaust ROSSI that is rated to turn 40,000rpm. It totally shines, the motor must turn over 55,000 in the water, and the power is INSTANT, even with a prop that is meant for a 13cc. its sick guys, on the cars and the boats, if anyone seen this thing in person, they would be beating my door down to buy one.

ps, yea, its small. it takes delacate tooling and a good bit of time to machine the impellers. both of the impellers are less than 7/8" in diameter...
Old 05-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

The system will be for all .12 types, all .21 types, and you can even use it on the larger displacement big blocks. I am planning 3 impellers, 1 type for smaller .12s, another for .21-.35, and a more aggressive one for 7.5cc boats and such. The only requirement of the motor is it needs to have at least a low end needle valve, and a high end needle valve. 99.9% of all motors on the market have that...

the 7.5cc version has its own water cooled case, that i tested today. on a rear intake, front exhaust ROSSI that is rated to turn 40,000rpm. It totally shines, the motor must turn over 55,000 in the water, and the power is INSTANT, even with a prop that is meant for a 13cc. its sick guys, on the cars and the boats, if anyone seen this thing in person, they would be beating my door down to buy one.

ps, yea, its small. it takes delacate tooling and a good bit of time to machine the impellers. both of the impellers are less than 7/8" in diameter...
Jim, all I can say is that I'm dead interested! Keep me in your "list"

I've also announced this project of yours on my website 3hobby.com, see if we can get more insterest. If you want to post a video I can help put it on the server there.

Cheers!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool, i took a look at your site. thats slick man. thanks for the Exposure. I am currently programming and modeling the changes to this in my home computer, and it is a very graphics intensive thing to try to run on a 1.4 ghz machine. In a couple of weeks i should have my alienware laptop, and that will make the project come along alot faster- no more of this change the impeller pitch, hit regenerate button, and walk away.

if you want, i can e-mail you some much better screen shots so you can put em up.

jim
Old 05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, i took a look at your site. thats slick man. thanks for the Exposure. I am currently programming and modeling the changes to this in my home computer, and it is a very graphics intensive thing to try to run on a 1.4 ghz machine. In a couple of weeks i should have my alienware laptop, and that will make the project come along alot faster- no more of this change the impeller pitch, hit regenerate button, and walk away.

if you want, i can e-mail you some much better screen shots so you can put em up.

jim
Better yet Jim, just register yourself at the site then check your email, login, click on Gallery, then click on "Create/Order My Albums".

On the next screen hit "New" button and then you'll see the space below this button saying "New Album". Highlight it and rename to your name .. voila! You'll get your own space to upload pictures at 3Hobby.com (1 MBytes of space!).

If you prefer email still .. let me know and I'll PM you.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sounds like a very time consuming project!!! everyone makes jokes about having a turbo charger in their car i've even made a joke on that a few months back but to see it actually come true thats amazing!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

100% power gain?, so you have had it on a model car engine dyno then?
How much psi does it make?, at what rpm?, what loss is there in fuel consumption due to the inability to exhaust scavenge?, any problems with compressor stall or reverse impeller flow from the reverse charge/pulse effect of 2 stokes at low rpm?, does the two stroke oil gum up the system after a few short runs?

Fuel consumption on a force fed two stroke is always going to be horrible, as you remove any chance of scavenging any unused fuel from the exhaust when you pressurise the motor, 2 stroke engines are already the worst fuel burners around, the last thing you need is to make that any worse.

The realities of force feeding a two stroke are not good, many question if it can be done, but really it's not "can it be done?", it's "should it be done?", and the answer is usually no.

I suggest getting one of the new 4 stroke RC car engines to play with, cause that could genuinely be interesting.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

I say go ahead and post a pic of it installed in your TC3 no matter how rough it is. All RC enthusiasts will appreciate it's existance and installation no matter what it looks like.

Let's see it.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

1BadTransam,
What CAD program are you using?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bishop
100% power gain?, so you have had it on a model car engine dyno then?
How much psi does it make?, at what rpm?, what loss is there in fuel consumption due to the inability to exhaust scavenge?, any problems with compressor stall or reverse impeller flow from the reverse charge/pulse effect of 2 stokes at low rpm?, does the two stroke oil gum up the system after a few short runs?

Fuel consumption on a force fed two stroke is always going to be horrible, as you remove any chance of scavenging any unused fuel from the exhaust when you pressurise the motor, 2 stroke engines are already the worst fuel burners around, the last thing you need is to make that any worse.

The realities of force feeding a two stroke are not good, many question if it can be done, but really it's not "can it be done?", it's "should it be done?", and the answer is usually no.

I suggest getting one of the new 4 stroke RC car engines to play with, cause that could genuinely be interesting.
Bishop, you sound very knowledgeable on this topic. Some difficult question to answer there!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Bishop, you sound very knowledgeable on this topic. Some difficult question to answer there!
It's just two stroke basics really, if you understand how a two stroke engine works, you realise that any form of added forced induction can actually work against some of the working principles of the engine.

In some ways, many tuners consider two strokes to already have a form of natural forced induction, as it's own cylinder action force feeds fuel and air into the cylinder every down stroke or cycle anyway.

And the moment you try and force feed any 2 stroke, you negate one of the biggest modern day advances ever made on them, and that is the expansion chamber, or tuned pipe to us.
It saved the two stroke engine from an early grave, by allowing it to develop torque, and scavenge unburnt excess fuels, which was/is a very big deal, on what was and still is a very thirsty engine.

If your worked real hard and did it right, you may actually get a 100% power increase with forced induction, but probably at revs that would kill any RC Nitro engine within a few laps, and with a 300%+ increase in fuel consumption, with less overall torque to top it off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.