R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Flywheel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/3135-flywheel.html)

LURCH 02-17-2002 06:46 PM

Flywheel

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE RUNNING A SMALL DIAMETER FLYWHEEL?(LIKE THE ONE FROM KAWAHARA) I PUT ONE ON AND IT SEEMS AS THOUGH MY CAR IS SLUGGISH FROM A STAND STILL NOW.(LETS ASSUME MY ENGINE IS TUNED PROPERLY) I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE MY CLUTCH ENGAGING TOO SOON(SINCE THE ENGINE SPINS UP FASTER) SO I TOOK A BUNCH IF WIEGHT OFF OF THE CLUTCH IT BUT IT DIDN'T SEEM TO HELP AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT.I DO HAVE THE BLUE KYOSHO SPRING ON THERE TOO.
ALSO, WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF RUNNING A 3 SHOE CLUTCH COMPARED TO A 2 SHOE? ANY IDEAS?
MY SETUP IS:
V ONE R
MT12
RBX12 PIPE
20%

got_speed? 02-17-2002 08:19 PM

Hey Lurch...I have the Kawahara Low CG Engine Mount and Flywheel installed in my V-One R...Blue Clutch Spring....MT-12 RTU Nova Mega TP-03 pipe....20% Trinity Monster...we almost have the same setup...I never had a problem changing over to the smaller diameter flywheel even with a stock MT-12.....most likely it's sluggish due to the lowend being rich....

Good luck;)

LURCH 02-18-2002 04:59 AM

FLYWHEEL

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING, BOTTOM TOO RICH BUT YOU WOULD BE AMAZED OF HOW LEAN IT IS ON THE BOTTOM, NOT TOO LEAN THOUGH. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE SMALL FLYWHEEL, LIKE IT?

got_speed? 02-18-2002 08:03 AM

Re: FLYWHEEL

Originally posted by LURCH
I THOUGHT THE SAME THING, BOTTOM TOO RICH BUT YOU WOULD BE AMAZED OF HOW LEAN IT IS ON THE BOTTOM, NOT TOO LEAN THOUGH. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE SMALL FLYWHEEL, LIKE IT?
Flywheel...other than it tends to wear out my starter ring a bit more than a regular flywheel....I guess it's ok.....the car (V1R) is on the heavy side....it weighs about 2.5 oz more than my Impulse Pro..so anything that would get it to loose some weight is good...

Carb Settings..... i went through the same thing dialing in the MT-12.... I re-set everything to base settings (rich for sure) .... what i found important at this point is just get it to idle.... when it did i left the low end alone and started leaning out the top until i lost WOT speed .... when this happened i opened it a bit to get the peak ...
THEN i start leaning out the lowend until it gives you wicked acceleration....just remember to check your temp...and check your glowplug often during this process... specially the glowplug... since your settings would go south if your glowplug is not 100%...

I might be mistaken but another thing I noticed is that traction affects your optimum engine settings.....I tend to re-adjust my carb depending on how much traction there is....

Hope that helps ;)

LURCH 02-18-2002 04:33 PM

FLYWHEEL

MAYBE MY TOP IS TOO FAT(WHICH WOULD AFFECT MY FINAL BOTTOM SETTING). MY RULE OF THUMB HAS BEEN LEAN THE TOP OUT WHILE HAVING LOTS OF BLUE SMOKE AND GOOD RPM.PERHAPS I NEED TO LEAN A BIT MORE ON TOP LIKE YOU SAID TILL I JUST NOTICE A DROP IN RPM AND RICHEN IT UP AN 1/8 FOR INSURANCE. IN THE PAST, TO SET THE BOTTOM I GET MY TOP HAPPY THEN LISTEN HOW THE RPM DROPS OFF TO IDLE. IF IT IDLES A BIT THEN DROPS DOWN I'L LEAN THE BOTTOM UNTILL IT STOPS DOING THAT THEN SET MY IDLE. I'VE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH THAT TECHNIQUE. THANKS FOR THE INPUT, I CAN'T WAIT TO GO TESTING!

LURCH 02-18-2002 04:38 PM

FLYWHEEL

ONE MORE THING, WHAT KIND OF TEMPS DO YOU SEE WITH YOUR TOP END SETTING (WHAT I WOULD CALL) LEAN?

got_speed? 02-18-2002 05:43 PM

LURCH....for some reason the MT-12 RTU's get into optimum operating temp really fast...compared to my RB 5 port... After gunning it WOT for quite a bit and several high speed bursts the highest I've seen was 287.....