New On road Nitro 1/8 club Nassau L.I.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New On road Nitro 1/8 club Nassau L.I.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New On road Nitro 1/8 club Nassau L.I.

Hello everyone.

I am interested in starting a new RC Club for On road cars. I am in the Nassau County Long Island area. If anyone has an interest please email me at my email address below or through this forum.

I am new to the area and relatively new to RC on road cars.

My main interest is Kyosho type gt2 and Ofna DM1 etc. but any 1/8 would be fine, all welcome.

I'm thinking of a first meeting at a place called Mitchell field in Garden City Long Island it's real close to the Nassau coliseum. There is a parking lot there completely open on weekends, where we could have our first meet and depending on the turn out figure out what to do from that point on.

Just for fun for now, but we could get more serious if the majority demands it.

I will collect initial names and set up first meet. Once I 've collected names I will set up a first agenda for discussion and set the meeting place with directions to the field. After that the group will decide how, where and when to proceed.

Thanks Jim ----------- "Let's have some fun"
my email
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds great. Im willing to drive out to LI from Brooklyn. On road racing of IGT is alive and well in Brooklyn at Floydd Bennett Field. Looks like a open class with rubber tires and 20 second lap times. Would love for you guys from the Island to come out to make the class more competitive. Rich E took the first trophy race and he says that you guys are pretty fast so tune into Powerline Racing on this forum for track dates 6/21 is the next schedule race hope to see IGT represented.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Lord

First I suggest you check the website www.lihobbyinfo.com This is a site I run for the purpose of promoting RC racing (as well as other hobbies) on Long Island. There you will find several like minded RCers that have been trying to do the same thing you are. They meet at the Ronkonkoma train station parking lot on Sunday mornings and race each other for the fun of it, and to get some practice for when they go to the big races. The big things out there are 1/5 scale and the IGT type cars.

Which parking lot in Mitchell field? Most of the lots there are too bumpy for on road cars. There's a small group of people from Willis Hobbies that run their 1/5 HPI cars somewhere in that area. See about getting in touch with them as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Long Island Car Club

To: 'Pressure', Jiml

Thanks for your response and help. As far as Flloyd Bennett field the reason we have not come there is because of the Belt and the traffic. A real drag.

I am certainly not trying to duplicate things. I have talked to the guys at Willis Hobbies and have agreed to meet some of them a few times at Mitchell, no one has ever come. Also most of them were off road.

My main thrust was just to get some people together and try to organize something and find a place to do it. Mitchell was just a potential meet place.

The parking lot I am referring to is right next to the soccer field where they sometimes run the Baja's. Your probably right about it not being ideal for on the road cars. But I think we could have some initial fun there till we organize.

I have been in contact with some of the guys about Ronkonkama( probably mispelled that) and I will check out what they do out there.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will keep you up to date on the progress.

Jim
Old 06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

sounds good I'm not to far from there.

I mainly run out at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn.

I have yet to make the drive out to the ronkonkama train station but hope to visit at least once this summer.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by regg151
sounds good I'm not to far from there.

I mainly run out at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn.

I have yet to make the drive out to the ronkonkama train station but hope to visit at least once this summer.

as for the traffic on the belt you can avoid that by taking the bridge and cutting threw the rockaways much faster then the belt and the traffic on rockaway isn't bad at all. I think to toll for the bridge is 2 or 3 bucks well worth it to avoid sitting in traffic for 30min to an hour.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Authorjim - I know there will be some guys at the train station this Sunday running 5th scales practicing for the next points series race at 301 on the 21st. Not sure if there will be any IGT guys running. I will be at FBF, Kevin will be at ControlFreakz and Jimmy has to work a double shift. If you just go there and say hello, they will let you run. Brian and Scott should be there.

The drive to FBF is not that bad. You live in Nassau right? I live in Hampton Bays! It's about 80 miles and a little over an hour drive for me! Last time I went there was no traffic in the morning and only a little in the afternoon. That was the holiday weekend. If you're serious, don't let a little traffic stop you. Welcome to Long Island!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is a Trophy race next weekend at FBF (Fathers Day) hopefully we can get a good showing, alot of guys are going to Conn. I will be out at FBF getting getting my practice in for Trophy Day....
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default OOHHH YEAAAHH !!!

YES I'm BACK!!

The one who started the IGT push at Floyd. Yes That's right. I said it..
Finally we have some guys ready to show there stuff. Hey Pressure.. I hope you got that 2 Speed ready for me, becuase you're gonna need it when I hit that track. I finally will be back in full swing with my ride. ... Look out on Father's day . THAT TROPHY IS MINE>

HA.. HA... HA....
Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Happy to see another GT coming out of hiding.

As for the Hardware get to the back of the line with that nonsense first ya gotta finish the race.

you coming out on sunday to scrape some the rust off your ride?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by authorjim
To: 'Pressure', Jiml

Thanks for your response and help. As far as Flloyd Bennett field the reason we have not come there is because of the Belt and the traffic. A real drag.

I am certainly not trying to duplicate things. I have talked to the guys at Willis Hobbies and have agreed to meet some of them a few times at Mitchell, no one has ever come. Also most of them were off road.

My main thrust was just to get some people together and try to organize something and find a place to do it. Mitchell was just a potential meet place.

The parking lot I am referring to is right next to the soccer field where they sometimes run the Baja's. Your probably right about it not being ideal for on the road cars. But I think we could have some initial fun there till we organize.

I have been in contact with some of the guys about Ronkonkama( probably mispelled that) and I will check out what they do out there.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will keep you up to date on the progress.

Jim

Welcome to the Island, Jim!

The more people interested in a track the more likely we can get it done.

You should make at least one trip to Floyd Bennett field. That is an excellent track run by good people, and there are some fast racers out there! And as you can see there's a big push for the IGT cars.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default To All

Thanks for the warm welcome and the kindness.

I am definetly going to be at the train station this weekend. Just getting back from Arizona so want to stay a little closer. I will go to FBL(see I'm already using the acronym) also soon. May try to catch the Ct race just to watch.

I am real new at this and love the GT cars. Lot's of realism and not as crazy money as the evolvas and all that.

Again thanks for the help

Jim
"In the midst of yelling with no comprehension, whispers penetrate the unwilling mind."
Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What happened this weekend, what's about next weekend?

I didn't make it back from Arizona in time to go to Ronkonkoma. Will anyone be there next weekend?

Still looking forward to IGT racing.

Not doing very well with people answering my request for a new club.

If I only get a few from this area we should all pool our resources. If I do get a bunch more maybe we can all get together and try to get some sponsorship.

Either way as I said before, I'm not trying to upstage you guys, I'm just trying to get a bunch of people together and depending on the geographic centricity of all the people we can then go out and find a place. If Ronkonkoma is the best then so be it.

If any body wants to talk about over an actual phone (oh my god, what will they think of next ---- a phone) just let me know.

Jim