Wiki Posts
Search

Foam Setup VS> rubber setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default Foam Setup VS> rubber setup

hey guys,

my R40 handles on rails with the foams, but man they get torn up in 2-3 tanks... i have a set of slicks and on the same setup they are terrible... why is this?? and is there a netural rubber setup???(should i run rubber with almost not camber pretty flat?) im running an asphault, and also with the rubber tires, i have glued and re glued the tires to the rims and for some reason the keep on comming unglued from the rim(im using that brown tire glue) any helpful hints on this also... im running the R40HE w/ Red dot combo
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
hey guys,

my R40 handles on rails with the foams, but man they get torn up in 2-3 tanks... i have a set of slicks and on the same setup they are terrible... why is this?? and is there a netural rubber setup???(should i run rubber with almost not camber pretty flat?) im running an asphault, and also with the rubber tires, i have glued and re glued the tires to the rims and for some reason the keep on comming unglued from the rim(im using that brown tire glue) any helpful hints on this also... im running the R40HE w/ Red dot combo
Ok....a couple of questions...

What rubber tires are you using and what type of inserts are you using with them.
The 24mm racing slicks

or the Sedan slicks

Are the rubber tires on dish or sedan rims.
These:

Or something like these:

Are the rims chrome, if so scrape the chrome off the inside of the rime. CA glue does not stick well to that stuff. Use these CA glue types to glue your tires.

Don't put globs of it on rim but just a thin line around the rim. Let tire set a full day before using.

Foams tires naturally have more traction than rubbers, so the same setup would not work well for rubber tires. (I wanted to just say rubbers, but someone might get confused)

Also, the rubber tires, unless belted, expand slightly (balloon up) on hard acceleration. This will cause loss of traction, especially on parking lot courses also the rubber tires have different softness for different temperatures. Use softer on cooler days. Don't forget to warm up your rubbers with a few hot laps before your race or with a tire warmer and some secret sauce helps too

The foam tires typically have a wider footprint as well, which gives more traction. So with all that said....yes, you need to chance setup when switching from foam to rubbers. Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just get a harder shore foam tire so they last a little longer....
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

for rubber I set my camber so the tires wears flat, even in the rear. Diff I go with 80000 front and 5000 rear
if they spray something on the track this should reduce the grip with rubber
use the correct pulley to obtain 0 overdrive
I use Pro-line glue and never had any problem. I used to wash the rims with alcohol and sand the part that will glue on tire before glue
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

im using racing slicks with dish rims(white)

thanks for the tips and tricks i will put the to use today
Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

i have used anywhere from 32 shore to 44 shore and the 32 shore lasted me about 20 laps if that and chunked on regular asphault, the 44 shore lasted me a few weeks and never chunked the grip was less, but still WAAAYY more than rubber can offer.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

You can also purchase something like these to help reduce chunking of your foam tires:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SPEEDMIND-Foam-ti...ayphotohosting

Some of the nicer brands already come with them on or in box.

Last edited by Kyo83; 06-02-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

yep, those are nice they dont always work right though when they start peeling.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

yea my foams are chunking on the outer of the wheel where the line in the foam tire is(the last .25") the fronts are fine perfect its just the rear, i have it set up for a sweeping left hander at 1/2 throttle that goes into a tight left hander and around the coldesac so the rear right gets the worst wear .... and i have no clue what the stock R40HE foams shore is(im thinking like 35)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

think of it this way where rubber tires can grip 1-5 and foams 6-10, the hardest foam tire will still grip about a 7 where as the best rubber tire will grip about a 5, I leave rubber tires to low power nitros or prepared tracks for electrics.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
yea my foams are chunking on the outer of the wheel where the line in the foam tire is(the last .25") the fronts are fine perfect its just the rear, i have it set up for a sweeping left hander at 1/2 throttle that goes into a tight left hander and around the coldesac so the rear right gets the worst wear .... and i have no clue what the stock R40HE foams shore is(im thinking like 35)
Sound like you have a high traction track....do like rcrevolution suggested and try a harder shore tire.....37 or 40 should do the trick. The Original tire was a 40 shore
#4365 HPI PRO FOAM TIRE 30MM REAR E (40) W/WHT MESH (PR)

I can't imagine you're still using the original tire after all these years, though.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stocks are 40 shore. I ran 33/37 combo last race @ 90 and only lost 2mm out of the whole day. Try better foams.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

I can't imagine you're still using the original tire after all these years, though
hahah yea i got two more of these sets, i put my R40 on the shelf mid 2007 and just got it out again... so ima try a harder shore or a better area to race on....
Old 06-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Michael....

Foam tires on race cars are used so you don't have the overheating problem when driving the car hard...but they have a downside, as they need to be used on a smooth track that has traction compound applied. On a treated smooth track, they respond better than a rubber tire would on that same treated track.

Since they have so much traction,and are more consistent than rubber tires, the cars can be set up with less body roll so they respond quicker, and develop more cornering speed than rubber tired car would....

And that is why your R40 does not handle as well with rubber tires. Not enough chassis roll to get traction.

You can run rubbers, but you need to get more roll in the car using the camber links, springs, and roll center adjustments....

in other words, the car has to be set-up like a Rs4 3, which is designed for rubber tires on dusty streets....and has chassis roll to get traction.

As for gluing the tires, make sure you wash the tires and rims in soapy water and I scrub the beads with a tooth brush. Use a FRESH bottle of glue that is designed to get rubber to adhere to nylon or plastic rims....ordinary CA won't cut it.

I have found that Losi med tire cement works real well.....Pull the tire back and let the glue wick in...Let it dry 24 hours, and then lay a bead around the tire and rim and let that dry for 24 hours...

after you are done, put the losi glue in the fridge to keep it fresh......
Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

last weekend, I tried a set of the Impanama 1/10th rubber tires, shore 45's. The car was good for the first 3 or 4 laps then they get hot and greasy. This past weekend, I tried something else, by letting the car roll more, like the post above me stated, like an electric car would and the car was excellent,......however........it was a trick to balance the tire spin with the higher powered .12 engine. The best thing would be to make a VERY soft clutch and go with a low power engine.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.