Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Red dot tunning help >

Red dot tunning help

Red dot tunning help

Old 05-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Red dot tunning help

hey guys, ive had my red dot for a while but put the R40 on the shelf for about a year, so i took it to a shop to get it back to basics and running correctly, i never really broke in the engine, so when i got it back it was running rich of course so i could break the engine in, well ive been running it and turning the HSn and 1/8 turn every new tank and the last adjustment i made did lean it out a bit but also wants to roll now when in idle, and i was just confused on what needle to adjust and what direction to compensate this, and also when is it approiate to adjust the IS(idle screw) and the LSN?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It sounds like your idel is set to high. So you need to idel that down.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep. Piccos tend to come from the factory with the idle set a bit high. This helps get them up and running when new but once you start leaning them out you will need to back that idle screw out a bit.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

thanks guys,

but i dont wanna touch the mid range needle correcT?? and the low speed is pretty much good from factory?? whatare the signs that i would need to adjust if needed?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

okay, my worst thoughts have come true... so i turned out the tiny black idle screw about 1 1/2 turns(until it stoped moving while idleing) and now it hesitates when past half throttle, and wont idle for long as it did before... so i turned theidle screw in 1/2 turn and still no better any ideas... i know this sounds dumb but this red dot is a great engine and i dont want to go wrong with it ...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Lord

Back off the idle screw until it reaches a nice low but steady idle. If it won't stay running for long at idle, lean out the LSN until it does. If you have a hesitation when you pull the trigger, richen the HSN. If the idle is low but the car is still rolling, you have a clutch problem.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

Read this:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ing-bible.html
Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Don't forget that those Piccos like to be a little rich on the bottom end.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

thansk that bible does help out allot.... but for teh LSN do you turn it clockwise to lean it out ???
Old 05-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
thansk that bible does help out allot.... but for teh LSN do you turn it clockwise to lean it out ???
yes
Old 05-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
thanks guys,

but i dont wanna touch the mid range needle correcT?? and the low speed is pretty much good from factory?? whatare the signs that i would need to adjust if needed?
Neither of my 2 red dots have a mid adj. The screw with the little spring is the idle stop not a mixture adjuster. LSN is at the end of slide.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

so after taking a break from the car to clear the mind, finshed the tune, but i did never get it to Peak temps @250 i dont have a temp gun but use the spit gauge and the head never gets hot enough to sizzle to water so im assuming its running in around 200F, now after constant running, it feels as the carb is sticking, when let off the throttle it will stay semi open for a second or so then to idle???... and also, when at full throttle it doesnt seem as fast as it should-anyideas???, maybe im just not getting it into the higher RPMS ???, the straight im running it on is about 65ft. before breaking for turn... the low end is running a bit rich as i read that picco's like to run low end rich, and i guess the HSN can be leaned out abit
Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can get the HSN and LSN out of sync. Get the engine good and warm. If it appears to hesitate after being opened up about halfway, then your HSN setting is most likely too lean, richen it up a couple of minutes until this condition goes away.

Follow the HSN tuning procedure, then follow the LSN tuning procedure. As you dial in the mixture you will need to adjust both to get the optimal setting.

I just tuned mine after breakin and the engine is a powerhouse!

Invest in an infrared temperature gauge, it will prevent you from guessing.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

so after finding a better smoother place to run the car , i got a new gallon and starting retuneing it , and teh HSN was to lean, and then it started to hesatate on the low end so i fixed that with the LSN, and got it to run damn near perfect ... and the new place has about 400ft staright so i decided to to go from the end to about 90% down before hitting the brakes, and Damn the car flew, it musta hit about 50mph+ but when i hitthe brake the car slid out and followed was a 20ft roll(side over side over side) and that last 3 rolls the manifold springs broke and blow out the gasket and then the engine died, so a quick trip to the shop tommorow to get new springs and gasket, and i hope no damange was done to the engine ... thank god we have bodies on these things although my M3GT body looks like crap now ...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Straight

If you keep running on a 400 ft straight the conrod will need changed early. Extended high speed running is very hard on engines and I wouldn't do it at all.maybe 250 ft at most.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.