Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber tires !!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Rubber tires !!?

Has anyone ran rubber tires? how come everyone used foams?
I think that the right rubber setup will perform better than foams?

advice please
Old 12-21-2003, 10:43 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

it really depends where you are running the car

dusty parking lot - rubber

relatively high traction prepared track - foams
Old 12-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

It also depends on what rules your club runs.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

The reason everyone runs foams Profoxcg is because they are much better than rubber.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

I have run both Rubber and Foam and like foam better. In my experiance the foam tyres seem to work out cheaper.

Foam gives me better grip and handeling and they are more consistent. Rubbers seem to go off with temp more.

There is a huge difference in car setup to get the foams and rubbers working well.

Does anybody make a 30mm wide rubber tyre?

Cheers
Old 12-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

thanks !
Old 12-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default 30 mm tire

Originally posted by ziggy12345
I have run both Rubber and Foam and like foam better. In my experiance the foam tyres seem to work out cheaper.

Foam gives me better grip and handeling and they are more consistent. Rubbers seem to go off with temp more.

There is a huge difference in car setup to get the foams and rubbers working well.

Does anybody make a 30mm wide rubber tyre?

Cheers
HPI makes a 30 mm rubber tires that came in some of the ready to run kits ,but they wear out really quick, they have a lot of groves and i found out that they work really well in the wet or rain but are not that good on dry asphalt.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:40 AM
afm
Tech Master

THE BEST RUBBER TIRES I'VE EVER USED, WITH PERFORMANCE EQUAL TO FOAMS, ARE BSR-RACING LOW PROFILE NET CAPPED TOURING TIRES
THEY ARE MADE BY WWW.BSR-RACING.COM, AND ARE MADE IN 28MM AND 30MM WIDE.
THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE TIRE IS OVER FOAM WHEELS WITH AN INSERT GLUED TO THE RIM,(KIND OF A FOAM) AND THEN THE RUBBER CAPPED AND GLUED ON TOP IN A SOLID COMPACT SET UP.
ONLY PROBLEM IS THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, BUT LAST A LOT.
AFM
Old 12-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

I saw the BSR sight but they have a bewildering number of tyres available. What part number was you talking about?

Cheers
Old 12-22-2003, 03:07 PM
afm
Tech Master

Ziggy

Originally BSR made those 30mm Capped Touring tires with 60mm diameter (very low profile) Then they changed to 28mm wide and 62mm Diameter, but if you wanted they still could make on order the 30mm ones. The part numbers were the same, but you had to specify 30mm or 28mm. I understand BSR has changed ownership and i don't know their policy as of now. i think you will have to give them a call and find out. Anyway the descriptions were as follows. I haven't bought from them for a long time, because for us over here it came to be extremely expensive.

Part No. Description
B-9734 Red NET compound
B-9735 Green NET compound
B-9736 Blue NET compound
B-9737 Gold NET compound
All compounds are temperature rated, from Red being the softest to Gold being the hardest.
Red: Softest compound, recommended for low bank or low traction concrete and asphalt tracks. Green: Medium compound, recommended for most concrete and asphalt tracks.
Blue: Medium compound, recommended for most concrete and asphalt tracks
Gold: Medium/hard compound, recommended for low bite concrete tracks.
Hope this helps
AFM
Old 12-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

it depends on the driver

at my local race track some guys pull in better times with rubber tires and 3 port non-turbo motors rather than there foam tire 5 port turbo motor cars

it all depends on the driver
Old 12-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

so can someone go over inserts and their effect?

I personally have always had better results with rubber in smaller cars, but I've never tried it on my gas car.

The reason I ask is because there is a NTC3 that runs pretty good with its stock rubber tires...
Old 12-23-2003, 06:35 AM
afm
Tech Master

Lets see if I can give a reasonable and simple explanation......

There are three types of rubber tires.

One is temperature rated compounds, in which the manufacturer tells you at what track temperature their different tires work better, and then give you a wide selection of inserts depending on their hardness, and thus is the equivalent to tire pressure on a normal 1:1 car, so the behavior of the car is adjusted with the inserts according to track conditions and car and driver abilities, and you have to assemble the tires with a very carefull and messy process.

The other type off rubber tires have a standard hardness insert and they rate their tires according to shore hardness of the rubber, like the foam tire ratings, and usually come glued and mounted from the factory on foam tire rims. An example is PMT Tires from Italy, which is our spec tire we are currently using down here with great success.

The third type, like BSR, have a common insert but of a different type than the regular inserts, they are kind of an open pore cell with the rubber capped on top which is temperature rated.

On my experience the best rubber tires for Nitro cars are the ones of the second and third type because they form like a solid compact tire that doesn't balloon and destort with high power, and rarely gets unmounted.

Hope this helps.
AFM
Old 12-23-2003, 06:48 AM
afm
Tech Master

I forgot to mention that good rubber tires are the best choice that suits every track condition, ranging from rough and dirty parking lots to dusty and wet tracks, because you have them from slicks to grooved, from dry to wet compouds.
Foams only work at their best on highly maintained and prepared tracks, but you have additional complications like needing to have a tire lathe, split diameters and so on......just to much work to get the right set up, if you have the rigth track.
RUBBER ROCKS MAN...plus, have you ever seen a 1:1 real racing car on foams????? kind of wierd wouldn't it.
AFM
Old 12-23-2003, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

have you ever seen a 1:1 real racing car on foams?????
That is the reason why I am so shocked people use foams. I will look into rubber tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.