Air travel with cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Air travel with cars

I posted this on the Winternationals thread but a new thread might be better
==========================================
Hello Everybody:

A couple of weeks ago about a dozen other racers from Puerto Rico were attending a race at the Dominican Republic. When I got to the airport the American Airlines counter attendant asked what I was carrying in my fairly large bag. I indicated that I was going to a race and was carrying two radio control cars. She said she needed to see them. She asked if they were new, and when I said they were used she said I could not carry them. After some argument somebody else came, I don't know if a supervisor, smelled the tank said no and went away.

Bottomline I was not allowed to go. The other ten racers were asked no questions and were allowed to go through. One of them had even forgotten to remove the nitro from the tank. I had washed my tank with degreaser and blown it with compressed air.

I requested the airline official to consult with TSA people but she answered that it was a company policy and had nothing to do with security. Go figure!!

That was a bad experience. I plan to formally complaint to the airline but am waiting for the anger to dissipate so I can be more objective.

Jose
Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem a few months ago in Las Vegas.

They won't allow any nitro based chemicals or items with residue on the plane. Yeah tons of people get by with them all the time. In fact they only caught one of my bags. I wound up shipping everything.

From now on I will be shipping my cars in advance to the hotel. Less to carry and less headaches
Old 12-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Definately the best way to do it. Wouldnt like to be paying the extra costs to put a Gel Cell and all the other heavier items onboard. As for the Nitro issue. I believe you can bring it and fuel onboard providing they are safely contained in metal air-tight containers as per Formula 1 etc....
Old 12-17-2003, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Air travel with cars

Originally posted by joseviejo
I posted this on the Winternationals thread but a new thread might be better
==========================================
Hello Everybody:

A couple of weeks ago about a dozen other racers from Puerto Rico were attending a race at the Dominican Republic. When I got to the airport the American Airlines counter attendant asked what I was carrying in my fairly large bag. I indicated that I was going to a race and was carrying two radio control cars. She said she needed to see them. She asked if they were new, and when I said they were used she said I could not carry them. After some argument somebody else came, I don't know if a supervisor, smelled the tank said no and went away.

Bottomline I was not allowed to go. The other ten racers were asked no questions and were allowed to go through. One of them had even forgotten to remove the nitro from the tank. I had washed my tank with degreaser and blown it with compressed air.

I requested the airline official to consult with TSA people but she answered that it was a company policy and had nothing to do with security. Go figure!!

That was a bad experience. I plan to formally complaint to the airline but am waiting for the anger to dissipate so I can be more objective.

Jose
Jose,

They have done that to us before and it seem they will do
that each time when we travel.
And if they dont, just like the other ten races you mentioned,
it would be an oversight on them and lucky for the people to
not have been detected.

What we typically do is actually pack the car without the
Fuel Tank and the Fuel lines... And we either bring with us
a brand new Fuel Tank and Lines which we would install
at the track. And ofcourse when its time for travelling back,
we discard that same tank or if we have a substantial number
of tanks to be discarded, we just mail them back to our home
address.

It may be a bit more work and expense but it will get rid of
airport security hassles.. Cant blame them afterall.

By the way, the cars and all other RC Stuff have to be clean
too as they likewise can get some contact with fuel which the
source of this whole issue.

Hope this helps..
Old 12-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Before mine flight I will do the same as I did many times and haven't got a problems (of course, main is to stay far away from American Crappylines and their stupid security reasons - Choose another airline, surely will have plenty willing to carry your car, you and pick your money).

What I do is a complete overhaul and clean everything (CF, chassis and plastics) with warm and soapy water, rinse with lots of water and assemble another time. Fuel tank, better to be washed with Straight methanol and throroughly cleaned and blasted with lots of air. Discard fuel lines, air filters (or keep them at home for your return).

And to avoid problems with cells, oil in the shocks and others, loosen the cap of the shocks and carry them completely empty (cargo bays aren't pressurized and can make to leak your shocks) and wrap your cell packs with your pit towel.

Clean your exhaust with boiling water and bicarbonate, let it act during the cooling of the water and then rinse it with fresh water.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks fellows for your advise. In addition to the usual cost of traveling abroad to compete, this adds additional expenses and pains. I was planning to go to the Winternationals some day but it might be better to go just to watch.

Jose
Old 12-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 4 years traveling from europe to america in diffeent countries due to my work and always carry my Yokomo GT4 ... and no problems at all ... the only thing i do prior to fly its to take out the tank and wash it out ... and put it on a little bag in order to show it separately ...

hope this helps ...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

i have traveld across the country countless times with a to of equipment and electric none less its difficult explaining the use of the little round objects with the wires comming out of them and the device that looks like a detonator! guys use your best judgment go to the airline prior to flying and check with someone and let them know who you are and what your carrying so there are no surprizes at the last minute and if they say know ask if you cant show it to them before you fly.