Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Dead Battery = Crash (How do i prevent?) >

Dead Battery = Crash (How do i prevent?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dead Battery = Crash (How do i prevent?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Dead Battery = Crash (How do i prevent?)

I have a Great vigor v2 series WRX. it has a .15 engine and is 2 speed. My friend also has the exact same car and, one night, while driving them both together, my batteries died and my car was out of my control. Luckily i was able to chase after the car, stop it, and prevent any damage, but i am now concerned that it will happen again and next time i might be going too fast to stop it; and it will crash.

Please reply with ways i could prevent crashing my on-road nitro car regarding battery life.

(KillEmAll)
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need to buy something called a fail-safe. Here's one at Towerhobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYG2&P=ML This will sense your batteries voltage and when it gets too low, it will apply the breaks and stop the car. Some recievers come with this included like Spektrum. I'd also suggest putting a rubberband on your throttle so that if the battery becomes disconnected, the failsafe won't work but the rubberband will pull the throttle closed. Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Tech Lord

Be carefull wit a failsave. Most models do not have a voltage detection and when the voltage suddenly shuts off the failsafe will not work either.

As extra you can create a spring or rubber band on the carburator, when the servo becomes powerless it will close the carburator.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

How about you just charge the reciever pack batterys.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Be carefull wit a failsave. Most models do not have a voltage detection and when the voltage suddenly shuts off the failsafe will not work either.

As extra you can create a spring or rubber band on the carburator, when the servo becomes powerless it will close the carburator.
I don't know what failsafes you've seen, but all of the ones I've seen have voltage detection. That's the purpose of a failsafe. If it doesn't do that, it's not a failsafe. Did you look at the link I posted?
And I already told him about the rubberband, why do you feel the need to write it again?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks guys, and might i say those replies were fast. thanks a lot ill have to invest in a fail safe. Do any of you have a fail safe? can recommend one? does it do the job? thanks i need as much info as i can get. Cheers
Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

all charge you Batteries before running you car. Failsafes are Ok and some model radios come with build in failsafe but there are different types of failsafes ,radio signal loss and low voltage.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking i have a few more questions sorry

Can i use rechargable batteries in my car. And what happens when the controllers batteries die? Does a fail-safe cover this?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KillEmAll
Can i use rechargable batteries in my car. And what happens when the controllers batteries die? Does a fail-safe cover this?
Yes you can but they should be recharable battery pack not the rechargable flashlite batteries. Those battery don't have the same voltage as akaline batteries, therefor you don't get as long of a usage.

Again go to Towerhobbies, Amainhobbies or your favorite online or local hobby store and buy rechargable batterpacks for your transmitter(radio) and receiver(car).

Some come with a wall charger but you may want to invest in a good battercharger too.

Last edited by Kyo83; 05-18-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by KillEmAll
Can i use rechargeable batteries in my car. And what happens when the controllers batteries die? Does a fail-safe cover this?
All of the controllers I know of have an alarm when the batteries start getting low. So when you hear the controller beeping, chirping, buzzing, etc, you know it's time to charge them. And the low voltage alarm is usually set at a safe point so you shouldn't loose control.

Also personally I do not run a 'fail safe', my radio has one, I just use a 'hair tie thingy'.